Multi-engine and Multi-IFR Freelance Training Instructor (with aircraft)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Multi-engine and Multi-IFR Freelance Training Instructor (with aircraft)

Post by tsgarp »

photofly wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:22 am So what you're saying is that Ed might not be used to teaching slow learners, as his military instructional training won't have equipped him to advance students who need to be presented with extra training and/or unusual teaching methods.

I guess he could simply fail them out of the course!
I’m not saying anything specific about anybody. I’m saying, based on my experience teaching in the civi world and the RCAF, that they are different environments for both the instructional delivery and the initial flying conditions of the graduates. One would be wise to inform themselves regarding the differences in those conditions if one intends to provide optimum instruction.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:22 am So what you're saying is that Ed might not be used to teaching slow learners, as his military instructional training won't have equipped him to advance students who need to be presented with extra training and/or unusual teaching methods.

I guess he could simply fail them out of the course!
Which explains why it won't be cheap or quick training ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Diamond Air Charter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diamond Air Charter »

As Pancho Barnes said in the movie The Right Stuff, what a bunch of podunks (noun: any small and insignificant or inaccessible town or village: After a year in the big city, I was ready to move back to Podunk.!)

It is hilarious watching you people dissect a simple multi-engine/IFR training program and turn it into some indictment of military flying training. Sheesh.

I notice that there is no mention of some of the innovative things I am doing such as introducing a procedures trainer that is identical to the Garmin 1000 NXi interface, the use of the ICARUS mask to provide realistic IFR conditions (I believe that I am the first in Canada to use this) and the ability to download, replay and debrief flights. I am willing to bet the few multi-IFR schools are doing all of these things. Yet you podunks focus on slagging military flying training, challenging the legality of not having an FTUOC, not being an flying instructor all of these accusations clearly demonstrating an ignorance of CARS or an inability to read the english language.

Not to worry; I have am getting plenty of interest and am already booked up for March and April from individuals that can see the value in this training program.

Over and out.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Actually, I think I said some nice things about your school.
It actually looks like a really decent place to train: new aircraft, experienced instructor, promising syllabus.
Honestly I wish you the best, but you need to chill out. When you advertise a freelance instructor with their own aircraft, it's going to raise some questions.

Tsgarp,
Interesting points. Thanks for sharing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am]
I notice that there is no mention of some of the innovative things I am doing such as introducing a procedures trainer that is identical to ...
Since you specifically ask, I think your innovations are interesting but not very imaginative. Some of them seem a bit gimmicky, to be honest. Some will probably be very helpful in training, and some not so much, but since you haven't actually done any training yet, nobody - not even you - is in a position to say which is which. So at the moment it's all marketing puff, and some of it is even other people's marketing puff.

The bit that interests me most is the bit about looking at instrument procedure design; but I suppose everyone will have their own favourites.

What you have on this forum is a group of intelligent but skeptical people, most of whom do, did or will fit somewhere into your intended customer profile. If someone here is thinking it, someone out there is thinking it too. You can ignore all this great (free) feedback if you want, because, we're just from Podunk, and Edmonton is the centre of civilization, But truthfully there's a lot of Podunk out there, and Podunk dollars are just as good as anyone else's.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Bede wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:53 am Actually, I think I said some nice things about your school.
It actually looks like a really decent place to train: new aircraft, experienced instructor, promising syllabus.
Honestly I wish you the best, but you need to chill out. When you advertise a freelance instructor with their own aircraft, it's going to raise some questions.

Tsgarp,
Interesting points. Thanks for sharing.
Glad someone appreciated them! :lol: Us old pud knockers who have been doing this for 30 or so years need to stick together.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am As Pancho Barnes said in the movie The Right Stuff, what a bunch of podunks (noun: any small and insignificant or inaccessible town or village: After a year in the big city, I was ready to move back to Podunk.!)

It is hilarious watching you people dissect a simple multi-engine/IFR training program and turn it into some indictment of military flying training. Sheesh.

I notice that there is no mention of some of the innovative things I am doing such as introducing a procedures trainer that is identical to the Garmin 1000 NXi interface, the use of the ICARUS mask to provide realistic IFR conditions (I believe that I am the first in Canada to use this) and the ability to download, replay and debrief flights. I am willing to bet the few multi-IFR schools are doing all of these things. Yet you podunks focus on slagging military flying training, challenging the legality of not having an FTUOC, not being an flying instructor all of these accusations clearly demonstrating an ignorance of CARS or an inability to read the english language.

Not to worry; I have am getting plenty of interest and am already booked up for March and April from individuals that can see the value in this training program.

Over and out.
Well, this old pud knocker wishes you and your students the best of luck.

Just curious DAC, what equipment did you fly in the RCAF and/or the Airlines?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

From my experience I think IMC is invaluable, especially for IR students. I'm blown away that there is no actual IMC requirement for the instrument rating.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

photofly wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:32 pm The "complementary" thing will never fly, pardon the pun. Bede can point out the tribunal case where a lodge was punished for operating a "free" air transfer service for its guests, sans OC. It's "free" said the lodge. "The passengers are your paying customers, under no circumstances is that 'free'", said Transport. Transport won.

Look at it another way: if I, not being a paying customer for a multi-engine rating, rock up and ask for my "complimentary" aerobatics flight, what do you reckon my chances are?
Every Canadian registered CJ6A that I am aware of is operated under a Special C of A Limited pursuant to CAR 507.03. The C of A will have conditions on it, pursuant to CAR 507.09. One of which will be a prohibition from commercial operation. Many still have an aerobatics prohibited condition as well, although that can be removed with a suitable application.

The Aeronautics Act defines commercial operations as follows
commercial air service means any use of aircraft for hire or reward;
Offering the "reward" of an aerobatic flight if you complete other training, would I suggest invite attention from TC and not in a good way....

That being said Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT) is of obvious value and in fact is now being mandated by EASA, however it has to be done in an aircraft with the appropriate certifications and with a pilot holding an Aerobatic Instructor Rating.

Quality training in good equipment should always be celebrated but I join others in thinking a somewhat less combative tone by the OP when responding to comments from posters with a lot of civil aviation initial training experience might be worth considering. There are 2 kinds of flight training

1) Teaching someone with low skills to acquire new advanced skills, and

2) Teaching someone who already has good skills to convert them to a new set of skills

All training in an airline environment is in category 2, the initial IFR rating is category 1. It is different and I am making no value judgement here but I have personally observed very experienced pilots who are instructing low time students, struggle making the transition especially when they operate at the unconscious competent level but the student is at the consciously incompetent learning level

I do not know the OP so I have no idea as to whether this comment applies, I am simply making a generalized statement based on what I have observed during my 36 years as a pilot holding a valid TC Flight Instructor Rating.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am As Pancho Barnes said in the movie The Right Stuff, what a bunch of podunks (noun: any small and insignificant or inaccessible town or village: After a year in the big city, I was ready to move back to Podunk.!)

Looking at the size of the hole you keep digging for yourself, one could wonder if you are trying to get Australian students?
Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am I notice that there is no mention of some of the innovative things I am doing such as introducing a procedures trainer that is identical to the Garmin 1000 NXi interface, the use of the ICARUS mask to provide realistic IFR conditions (I believe that I am the first in Canada to use this) and the ability to download, replay and debrief flights. I am willing to bet the few multi-IFR schools are doing all of these things.
If people have questions about the fundamentals of your operation, right or wrong, then the innovative things don't matter much.
I think the questions about the legality of the Nanchang operations are fair. You're marketing part of that to people who already hold a license, possibly a CPL license. Asking yourself if things are legal are a big part of (civilian) aviation.
Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am Yet you podunks focus on slagging military flying training,
Nobody is slagging military flying training. People have mentioned the differences in philosophy and the different level of aptitude in the students you might get.

If it were legal, as a military instructor, would you hire a potential colleague who applied with 5000 civilian instruction hours and who tells you he can't be bothered to get the military instructor rating equivalent?
Diamond Air Charter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:35 am inability to read the english language.
There is a certain level of irony going on here.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Bede wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:41 pm From my experience I think IMC is invaluable, especially for IR students. I'm blown away that there is no actual IMC requirement for the instrument rating.
I would say that a majority of pilots I know who fly IFR regularly (including myself) had none or very little actual IMC during their training towards their initial ratings. I have never found a correlation between time in the soup and actual ability. After all, not all time is equal, and the soup isn't always the same.

While I think actual IMC time is valuable, I put a way higher premium on recency and actual hand flying skill. The biggest difference I find is you can tell who learned to fly IFR without GPS and who learned with.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Squaretail wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:21 pm I would say that a majority of pilots I know who fly IFR regularly (including myself) had none or very little actual IMC during their training towards their initial ratings.
Neither did I. That's why I'm so adamant that IR students get actual IMC time. You make pick up the skills over time, but the first time you're IMC, it's scary- better have an experienced instructor on board.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

How much IMC time can one actually get when you'd ice up in the winter and run into CBs in the summer?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Bede wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm
Squaretail wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:21 pm I would say that a majority of pilots I know who fly IFR regularly (including myself) had none or very little actual IMC during their training towards their initial ratings.
Neither did I. That's why I'm so adamant that IR students get actual IMC time. You make pick up the skills over time, but the first time you're IMC, it's scary- better have an experienced instructor on board.
My first time in IMC was with a student, lol. Between the icing we get half the year and the conservative weather mins some schools have, it can be nearly impossible to get up in the clouds. In well over a year of IFR instruction I was barely able to get 5 hours of actual time logged, not for a lack of trying...

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

At the risk of thread drift.

I did my Multi IFR after I had been instructing for about a year on the West Coast. I did it in mid winter and mostly at night. Over half of the flight time for my rating was IFR in IMC conditions.

I found the experience I gained made IMC for real after my rating pretty much a non event.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Bede wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:15 pm
I'm not so sure the instructor would be a benefit in a lot of cases. Whether its scary or not I feel depends more on previous preparation. Its a sink or swim moment that its probably more important to test the waters slowly with lots of skill practice than to have your hand held along he way. If you're going to shit yourself and lose control of the plane your first encounter with the clouds, well there's a long list of other pilot failings you probably have.

The big problem I find is that most pilots aren't good in VFR before they become IFR rated. Throwing them in the soup isn't a fix for their problems, it just reveals their weaknesses.

Sorry for the thread drift. Just going through the resume stack, and unfortunately any "actual" time listed just always needs an asterisk beside it.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Going back to the original post, one thing I think I would add To my website (don’t recall seeing it) is that the training outfit is prepared to throw in enough TKS fluid to train in light icing conditions in the winter. That would be a real differentiator.

Can someone confirm that the DA42 isn’t certified for FIKI in Canada but the DA62 is?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I never ceased to be amazed with the rhetoric and ill informed opinions rendered on these anonymous forums. This post is a perfect example.
I'm very confident that the opinions expressed in this thread are very well informed.

This whole thread, as entertaining as it is, reminds me that there are two ways to advertise on forums:

Pay for the ad, and no one comments it - you get what you paid for, and no more! Or,

Present it as a post with no cost, and anyone can comment it, for better or worse.

Being remembered can be good for business, being remembered too much for taking on the wrong dog fight can be less good for business. I think in this case, buying the ad would have been cheaper, and certainly less stressful!

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:52 am Can someone confirm that the DA42 isn’t certified for FIKI in Canada but the DA62 is?

The 62 to my knowledge is good for FIKI in Canada. No idea about the 42.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:23 pm How much IMC time can one actually get when you'd ice up in the winter and run into CBs in the summer?
Depends where you live. In central Canada in the winter icing is uncommon. There's a common misconception that IMC <0C results in ice. It does not. There needs to be supercooled water present which is rare when it's cold out.

Return to “Flight Training”