Colour blind-looking to become an airline pilot.

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ols500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Colour blind-looking to become an airline pilot.

Post by ols500 »

Hi guys,

I'm currently 17 years old and living in the UK. My goal is to become an airline pilot. I am red-green colour deficient and failed all colour tests apart from the Farnsworth D-15, which I completed at London City University (So proper medical lighting, timings, and examination conditions). From my research I have found Canada and New Zealand are the only two countries that approve this test for an unrestricted class 1 medical, is this true?

Also, If I can get an unrestricted class 1, whats the employment options like for international "students". (I have briefly looked into obtaining a study permit for flight schools then how to get a work visa from there). I am ideally looking to be flying the big jets, as we probably all are, but from reading up on older posts it seems Air Canada does further testing for colour deficient candidates, above Air Transport Canada requirements, is this true, and do most airlines do this. Can you guys who reside in Canada give me some further information on what the current hiring situation is with different airlines as well?

All information appreicated,

Kind regards, Ollie Seaward.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Health & Fitness”