Memorial for air tragedies

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Memorial for air tragedies

Post by Bede »

Canadian Heritage is planning a memorial to those killed in air tragedies. What a profoundly stupid idea.
https://pch.survey-sondage.ca/f/s.aspx? ... 76&lang=EN
---------- ADS -----------

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Memorial for air tragedies

Post by 5x5 »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:35 pm Canadian Heritage is planning a memorial to those killed in air tragedies. What a profoundly stupid idea.
https://pch.survey-sondage.ca/f/s.aspx? ... 76&lang=EN
Oh my god, t's more than profoundly stupid, it's profoundly stupid in a monumental way (literally and figuratively).

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was afraid to click on the link, suspecting that it's some kind of internet scam.

In any case, I can't think how this is a good idea, unless they also want to erect a monument to all of the many people who have had successful flights!

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I filled out the survey and politely explained to them how moronic their idea is.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I'd agree, it seems like a stupid idea not to mention rather generic. I completely understand erecting specific memorials, for individual disasters or events of major public significance - for example the Swissair 111 memorial in Nova Scotia. But to build some generic memorial, that will inevitably cost millions and be little more than a public art eyesore is moronic.

How about... and this is going to be really radical... How about the Government commits to finally building the Second World War memorial that has been promised to Canadian Veterans (and approved, multiple times) NOW. It would be nice to finally honour those surviving vets, rather than waiting until they've long since passed and would have no input on a memorial.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

look at it this way..... the sculpture won't be torn down by angry mobs

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 pm look at it this way..... the sculpture won't be torn down by angry mobs
Somebody, somewhere, somehow... will find a reason to get offended. After all, "it's Canada in 2022 - I'm offended because you're offended".

Everyone grab their gloves that have that color of light that is perceived by the human visual system when the incoming light to the eye stimulates all three types of color sensitive cone cells in the eye in roughly equal amounts, and make sure you don't offend anyone.

Return to “General Comments”