A question from a CHPL pilot in training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mellows
Rank 0
Rank 0

A question from a CHPL pilot in training

Post by mellows »

Hello pilots and pilots in training.

I’m new to this forum and was referred to AVCanada by a family member in the fixed wing world. I’m currently pursuing a commercial rotor license and roughly 60 hours through the 110 hour requirement. The flight school owner and instructor is recommending taking the remainder of the course on a more expensive Robinson R44 instead of the cheaper R22. Both are piston driven, the R44 having hydraulics and being a 5 seater compared to a two seater R22.

If anyone has travelled down this road early in their career I’d like to hear your thoughts. Will your future employer look at 50 hours of R44 flight as an asset to a low time pilot without any real world commercial flight experience pilot?

The difference in training costs per machine is roughly $300 per hour.

Thanks for your insight.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: A question from a CHPL pilot in training

Post by PilotDAR »

I trained on the SW300. In my opinion, experience in different types is valuable. That said, while adding some R44 time, it might be even more valuable to look for a little time in other types as well on your way to your CPLH

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: A question from a CHPL pilot in training

Post by MOAB »

When I did my CPL I added a 206 endorsement on to my training, 90hrs 22 and 10hrs 206. When I got my first flying gig I was the only 1 in a group of 4 starting out who had the endorsement, the other 3 got the same amount of training that I did.

Some operators may prefer that you have the endorsement, but 5 hours or 50 may not be a big deal. I would try and save as much money as possible and stick with only the 22. If you want get the 44 type but I wouldn’t do the whole 50.

Schools are a business so careful how much they try and sell you on. It wasn’t long ago that a school in Abbotsford was trying to sell a “150 hour CPL” course.

Return to “Flight Training”