Train hits Cessna on landing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

garlicbreadhamburger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Train hits Cessna on landing

Post by garlicbreadhamburger »

A pilot was hospitalized after their plane crashed in Pacoima on Sunday, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The crash, which occurred shortly after 2 p.m., involved a “small single engine airplane,” which was damaged when it landed on the Metrolink Antelope Valley line train tracks near Whiteman Airport, the LAFD said in a pair of alerts.

The Associated Press identified the plane as a Cessna 172.

After the pilot was removed from the plane by the Los Angeles Police Department, the aircraft was struck by an oncoming train, the LAPD Operations-Valley Bureau said on Twitter.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/1-hosp ... -lafd/amp/

Well... it's not every day you see a train hit a plane. Glad everyone is ok.
Video in the link.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Train hits Cessna on landing

Post by 2112 »

Sometimes it's just not your day. Hope they stopped for a lotto ticket on the way to the hospital though.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Heres another view. The bystanders were lucky not to get shredded by the flying airplane parts.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.5733795

Let’s Go Brandon
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

No fireball on impact, so likely no combustible material left in the plane...?

Last edited by AirFrame on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Train vs Cessna

Post by boeingboy »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Jesus this guy was lucky! Cessna went down and crash landed on railway tracks with the pilot badly injured...LAPD shows up and drags him out right before a train makes short work of his plane!!

Amazing video....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/p ... vi-AASCTzu

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Train vs Cessna

Post by imjustlurking »

boeingboy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 pm :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jesus this guy was lucky! Cessna went down and crash landed on railway tracks with the pilot badly injured...LAPD shows up and drags him out right before a train makes short work of his plane!!

Amazing video....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/p ... vi-AASCTzu
Lucky, yes, but how do the police have enough time to rope off the area, but not have enough time to call the operator of the line?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

imjustlurking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:46 pm Lucky, yes, but how do the police have enough time to rope off the area, but not have enough time to call the operator of the line?
My guess, the police had the area already somewhat secured and were waiting on paramedics to arrive, had not extracted the pilot. when they realized there was a train coming, sudden panic to get the pilot out. If you look in the background of the first video, roadblocks have been established etc, so it's not like they had arrived 'just in time', they had been there at least for a few minutes already.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am
imjustlurking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:46 pm Lucky, yes, but how do the police have enough time to rope off the area, but not have enough time to call the operator of the line?
My guess, the police had the area already somewhat secured and were waiting on paramedics to arrive, had not extracted the pilot. when they realized there was a train coming, sudden panic to get the pilot out. If you look in the background of the first video, roadblocks have been established etc, so it's not like they had arrived 'just in time', they had been there at least for a few minutes already.
But your first call is to the signalling office to shut down operations on the rail line. Before waiting on anything.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:25 am No fireball on impact, so likely no combustible material left in the plane...
The usual expert comments based nothing…..

It extends to our infamous and annoying YouTube accident analysts of growing fame that that have to answer with some sort of intelligent sounding response to those only interested in immediate answers.

I guess that is why we get that DC-3 rated guy who shall remain nameless, telling us a recent twin crash was due to a vaccine shot.

Anyways, here is a YouTube video from a local who has pertinent factual info instead of guesses for analysis. And he has a much more pleasing speech pattern to listen to compared to the big name YouTube investigators.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... =emb_title

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:13 amThe usual expert comments based nothing…..
Seriously? And you go on to post a 4 minute video that while looking professional, starts off with the explicit disclaimer "all we know for sure is that the pilot declared a mayday." Meaning everything else in that video is mere speculation. Certainly better presented speculation than my short comment, but speculation nonetheless.
Anyways, here is a YouTube video from a local who has pertinent factual info instead of guesses for analysis. And he has a much more pleasing speech pattern to listen to compared to the big name YouTube investigators.
Pertinent Factual Info. That the pilot declared a mayday. He speculates that the moisture on the ground is fuel.
It extends to our infamous and annoying YouTube accident analysts of growing fame that that have to answer with some sort of intelligent sounding response to those only interested in immediate answers.
Which is exactly what the video you linked to does. One fact, 4 minutes of speculation.

And yes, I agree my comment was premature and may not be accurate. But this is AvCanada, nobody comes here for accuracy, they come here to debate whether COVID is real or not.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 am Pertinent Factual Info. That the pilot declared a mayday. He speculates that the moisture on the ground is fuel.
Take a look at the first three seconds of the video under the right wing. You can see the fuel from the damaged wing making contact with the accumulated pool of fuel already on the ground. Where else would that isolated pool of moisture under the wing would come from on a sunny California day. You can see it running along the pavement as they pull the pilot away from the plane. Your statement suggested he ran out of gas. Thanks for the analysis that ruins the reputation of that pilot, I'm sure he appreciates it.
AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 am Which is exactly what the video you linked to does. One fact, 4 minutes of speculation.
The video gives lots of good info on what the flying is like at Whiteman airport and the options one has. I have landed and departed on that runway which has unfriendly stuff at either end, making the train tracks the only realistic option. Plus we get info about the nearby location of the police station as there were people on other forums asking about the police presence.
AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 am And yes, I agree my comment was premature and may not be accurate. But this is AvCanada, nobody comes here for accuracy, ......
I would say that you are satisfying that particular aspect of what you say some are coming here for. personally, I always try to be accurate.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:41 amTake a look at the first three seconds of the video under the right wing. You can see the fuel from the damaged wing making contact with the accumulated pool of fuel already on the ground.
You're right, that's something I missed. I agree, it's likely to be fuel. In which case everyone there is bloody lucky it didn't ignite in the initial impact, during the extraction, or when the train hit it.
Thanks for the analysis that ruins the reputation of that pilot, I'm sure he appreciates it.
Because he's likely to see it on a nobody website from Canada.
The video gives lots of good info on what the flying is like at Whiteman airport and the options one has.
But no facts about *the crash* itself.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 am
The video gives lots of good info on what the flying is like at Whiteman airport and the options one has.
But no facts about *the crash* itself.
That is why it is a good video. It doesn’t pretend to give us facts, that are really guesses, that later turn out to be incorrect. But it does give a great picture of the situation for pilots departing that runway at Whiteman.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pmIt doesn’t pretend to give us facts...
Exactly.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ!

SpyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpyPilot »

If only you punters had access to the Internet. Oh, right.

The PIC was a 70 year old ex-Air Force pilot. On departure he experienced a mechanical failure immediately after take-off. He turned to the right and attempted a forced landing onto a road just beyond the airport perimeter that ran perpendicular to the runway. During the accident sequence, the airplane did make the road but collided with a lowered railway crossing arm which resulted in the airplane coming to a stop on an active railway track. Bystanders and nearby law enforcement officers helped to extricate the pilot and moments later the plane was struck by an oncoming train.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”