Some Educational Advice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

exPolitico
Rank 0
Rank 0

Some Educational Advice

Post by exPolitico »

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member here, but I've been following AVCanada since I can remember. I just wanted to reach out for some advice regarding my situation. I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

In 2018 after graduating high school, I went to Parliament Hill to begin an internship program in politics and after about a month, I was hired full-time as a political staffer in an MPs office. I left after being there for about a year to pursue education and did a year of studying at Humber College in public relations, but dropped out just after the pandemic hit upon receiving a job offer from a provincial government to work as a political staffer. I left that job at the end of June of 2021 and I began my current job in public and government relations consulting.

After 3 years of dealing with the bs of the political system and government, I'm ready to take the leap and pursue my dream of flying. The end goal is eventually to get into the airlines. I have about 22 total hours logged from when I took my first flight in 2016, but due to a multitude of factors, I stopped my training towards my PPL in 2017. I'm planning on leaving my job in the near future to commit to flying full-time and obtaining all my licenses, ratings, and building flight time.

I'm thankful that I have my family supporting me through the career change and the money situation isn't my biggest concern, but I was wondering what the prospects are for someone entering the industry without a degree/diploma are? If I'm speaking honestly, I don't qualify for the Seneca/Waterloo/Western educational programs because I didn't take the high school courses for it (the plan at the time wasn't to be a commercial pilot) I have some friends who are at WEN without any degrees or diplomas, but I wanted to see what the general consensus in the industry is for those without them.

I really appreciate all the advice I can get.

Thanks in advance,

ExPolitico
---------- ADS -----------

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Laozi
PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Some Educational Advice

Post by PeterParker »

Lots of friends I know are at the Jazz, WestJet and other airlines without a degree. Go get your license from the best instructors nearby, try to fly as many different types you can get a handle on both during and after. Try to get out of flight school with as little debt as possible and in the door to your first job as quickly as possible. You’ll eventually make it to the majors without any issues if you don’t have a diploma or degree. As with many others on this forum, I honestly think you’re better off with an unrelated diploma or degree that you can fall back on if the whole aviation thing doesn’t pan out for whatever reason.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Go to Confed/YQT.

Generally fast (by COVID standards compared to the 3/4 year programs that are taking 4/5 years). Relatively cheap (tuition plus 20 months of living expenses). Do the multi-IFR after graduation at one of the puppy mills. All in the experience should cost you around $45k. That gets you a diploma/multi-IFR in half the time of the other programs and you can join the job market sooner getting flying hours towards your ATPL.

exPolitico
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by exPolitico »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 am Lots of friends I know are at the Jazz, WestJet and other airlines without a degree. Go get your license from the best instructors nearby, try to fly as many different types you can get a handle on both during and after. Try to get out of flight school with as little debt as possible and in the door to your first job as quickly as possible. You’ll eventually make it to the majors without any issues if you don’t have a diploma or degree. As with many others on this forum, I honestly think you’re better off with an unrelated diploma or degree that you can fall back on if the whole aviation thing doesn’t pan out for whatever reason.
That's reassuring to hear. Thanks so much!

exPolitico
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by exPolitico »

rudder wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am Go to Confed/YQT.

Generally fast (by COVID standards compared to the 3/4 year programs that are taking 4/5 years). Relatively cheap (tuition plus 20 months of living expenses). Do the multi-IFR after graduation at one of the puppy mills. All in the experience should cost you around $45k. That gets you a diploma/multi-IFR in half the time of the other programs and you can join the job market sooner getting flying hours towards your ATPL.
I do meet the Confed requirements, so I'll look into it a little more. I should have my PPL done before September so I'll have to reach out to them and see if I'd still be good to go. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Flight Training”