Winter ski operating temps

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Winter ski operating temps

Post by Lost Lake »

Hi folks. I have lots of experience on floats but am virtually a virgin on light aircraft on skis. So I have a couple of questions.
1. On a day fishing trip, how long can I park a plane and what is the lowest temp I can expect without a heat source.

2. What is the best. way to keep the engine warm if I want to park on colder days.
3. If there's slush, tips for parking the plane. Cutting logs to fit under skis?

4. Any other tips?
---------- ADS -----------

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
swixtt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Winter ski operating temps

Post by swixtt »

you have covers, right? what kind of bird? probably you know best on what temps you need heat to fire up that bird.
i'd take a little generator with you.... do you have a Tanis or other elec heat source you use when at homebase?
slush or not i'd lift those skis with a buddy's help if possible.
take an avi shovel, rope and sshoes of course.
take what you need to spend a few nights if need be.... but that should be in there already anyway.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Lost Lake wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:17 pm Hi folks. I have lots of experience on floats but am virtually a virgin on light aircraft on skis. So I have a couple of questions.
1. On a day fishing trip, how long can I park a plane and what is the lowest temp I can expect without a heat source.

2. What is the best. way to keep the engine warm if I want to park on colder days.
I used to wait for guys staking, -25 C. Cessna 185 on skis. Engine cover a must, regularly start the engine to warm it up then put the cover back on.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

I have seen a lot of home made heaters using a camping stove, ammo box, and SCAT hose. These seem to work when the planes parked overnight bringing the oil temp up in an hour or so.

Attachments
IMG_2319.jpeg
IMG_2319.jpeg (152.3 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Found wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:40 am I have seen a lot of home made heaters using a camping stove, ammo box, and SCAT hose. These seem to work when the planes parked overnight bringing the oil temp up in an hour or so.
For peace of mind, I'd recommend you install a Tanis or Reiff engine heating system and carry a small (one kw) generator. You'll be able to sleep during the two to four hours it takes to heat the engine.

Personally, I don't want open flames anywhere near the airplane.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

You’ve probably been told already as well but taxi over the spot you want to park then do a come around a second time and check the tracks for any signs of slush. Even the slightest sign and go find another spot to park.

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

Here is a way to get the most out of a generator heating up your plane. The fitting is welded to the exhaust of the generator the flex line is a natural gas appliance connector hose.

https://youtu.be/bgQyUD9tubQ

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

CruiserNU wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:22 am
Found wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:40 am I have seen a lot of home made heaters using a camping stove, ammo box, and SCAT hose. These seem to work when the planes parked overnight bringing the oil temp up in an hour or so.
For peace of mind, I'd recommend you install a Tanis or Reiff engine heating system and carry a small (one kw) generator. You'll be able to sleep during the two to four hours it takes to heat the engine.

Personally, I don't want open flames anywhere near the airplane.
Like with flying, a little training and paying attention you will be fine. A company called Herman Nelson has been making aircraft heaters for probably more than 100 years that most of us who have been in the North have used.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Do people put pine boughs down and taxi onto them? Might be an idea to prevent freezing.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:35 pm Do people put pine boughs down and taxi onto them? Might be an idea to prevent freezing.
Yes, that’s been going on since the advent of ski flying.

TPC

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Of course it depends on snow conditions and temperature but generally speaking skis will freeze in place if given enough time. To break the bond between ski and snow use a strong mallet and block of wood. Place the block along the ski edge to dull the mallet blows. Give it some good blows to knock the ski loose.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”