Career advice and medical issues

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Career advice and medical issues

Post by HD9113 »

Hi all, im planning my move to Canada with the ultimate goal of being a commercial pilot in Canada.

I am applying for the open-work permit that I need to work in CAN for 1 year FT and getting a PR. In this year i cannot learn flying due to the restriction of the working permit.
But my ultimate goal is to become a commercial pilot, so I expect to start my training in Apr 2023.

In my 1 year period to get my PR, are there any jobs that is beneficial and value-adding towards my resume in the future as a pilot? I saw there are some ramp agent jobs opening and customer service agent opening with AC, is that a good start? Or any other job you would recommend in the industry? Im holding an Engineering Degree in Chemical and Environmental Engineering my home country that is not aviation related.

Also, since my earliest date of commencement for flight training is Apr 2023, would it be unnecessary to obtain my Cat 1 medical now since it only valid for 1 year? I am asking because I wanted to know if im medically fit to be a commercial pilot or not. If not, I won't have to bother on all these things.

Thanks for reading!
---------- ADS -----------

mintyfresh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Career advice and medical issues

Post by mintyfresh »

I'd get the medical first before making any big moves. Renewing it isn't hard or expensive.

As for jobs, I would suggest finding a job that you enjoy, pays well and can give you a flexible schedule. You'll want to be able to save enough money so you can complete your training with the least delay and a flexible schedule so you can do training and work. I don't recommend quitting your day job to do flight training, unless you can for certain return to your old job or have a guaranteed flying job lined up.

The aviation industry can be unpredictable, always have a back up strategy.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

HD9113 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 pm Hi all, im planning my move to Canada with the ultimate goal of being a commercial pilot in Canada.
Hello, purely out of curiosity, what is it about a career in aviation in Canada that's a draw for you? Where are you coming from?

Cheers

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

mintyfresh wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:43 pm I'd get the medical first before making any big moves. Renewing it isn't hard or expensive.

As for jobs, I would suggest finding a job that you enjoy, pays well and can give you a flexible schedule. You'll want to be able to save enough money so you can complete your training with the least delay and a flexible schedule so you can do training and work. I don't recommend quitting your day job to do flight training, unless you can for certain return to your old job or have a guaranteed flying job lined up.

The aviation industry can be unpredictable, always have a back up strategy.
I am considering to have the flight training in a full time manner since i want to get all the license ASAP then get a flying job (maybe as an instructor to get PIC or go north being a pilot in waiting, but i prefer the instructing route). From some research on this forum the quickest possible way to get PPL CPL MEIR Night Rating is within 9 months.
I agree about the alternative plan thing but I guess im really dedicated to go the flying part unless there are medical issues.

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:28 am
HD9113 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 pm Hi all, im planning my move to Canada with the ultimate goal of being a commercial pilot in Canada.
Hello, purely out of curiosity, what is it about a career in aviation in Canada that's a draw for you? Where are you coming from?

Cheers
I'm from Hong Kong.
Years ago I have visited Toronto to see my cousins and had an introductory flight on a C172 that makes me caught the bug.
I have never thought of flying in Canada as a career until an opportunity of open work permit in Canada is open to Hong Kong graduates like us, then i thought why not make good use of this opportunity to pursue this career.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

While you're here, i'm sure you're not restricted from having a hobby. Learning to fly, and getting a Private license, should certainly be permissible? That would give you a head start on the Commercial later, and you could rent planes and fly for fun in the meantime to build hours.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

HD9113 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 am From some research on this forum the quickest possible way to get PPL CPL MEIR Night Rating is within 9 months.
I wouldn’t budget for 9 months… for that to work everything has to be perfect without delays, which means it’s pretty much impossible.
I would at least double that, 18 months

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

Turboprops wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 pm
HD9113 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 am From some research on this forum the quickest possible way to get PPL CPL MEIR Night Rating is within 9 months.
I wouldn’t budget for 9 months… for that to work everything has to be perfect without delays, which means it’s pretty much impossible.
I would at least double that, 18 months
What about having an integrated program (iCPL) that should have priorities for flight slots and structured learning progress?
Instead of flight slots and weather (which I believe it makes almost unflyable in Canada's winter), what factors you would consider that makes it impossible as well?

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 am While you're here, i'm sure you're not restricted from having a hobby. Learning to fly, and getting a Private license, should certainly be permissible? That would give you a head start on the Commercial later, and you could rent planes and fly for fun in the meantime to build hours.
That is also an option that I considered :D But some other members in Avcanada who work full time and fly weekend as a hobby said it takes around a year and half to secure only a PPL, which i think it is a long wait for me as I want to get all my license and fly commercially asap.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

HD9113 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:48 pm
AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 am While you're here, i'm sure you're not restricted from having a hobby. Learning to fly, and getting a Private license, should certainly be permissible? That would give you a head start on the Commercial later, and you could rent planes and fly for fun in the meantime to build hours.
That is also an option that I considered :D But some other members in Avcanada who work full time and fly weekend as a hobby said it takes around a year and half to secure only a PPL, which i think it is a long wait for me as I want to get all my license and fly commercially asap.
A year and a half seems very long for a ppl. I did my ppl in 4 months flying only weekends (and the airport was a 2 hour drive away) while working full time. Completed 0 to multi-ifr commercial in 13 months with about a month and a half off during Christmas early January cause the flight school used to close down for a month. If you are motivated you can do it. A buddy of mine did everything in 10 months.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

jpilot77 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 pm
HD9113 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:48 pm
A year and a half seems very long for a ppl. I did my ppl in 4 months flying only weekends (and the airport was a 2 hour drive away) while working full time. Completed 0 to multi-ifr commercial in 13 months with about a month and a half off during Christmas early January cause the flight school used to close down for a month. If you are motivated you can do it. A buddy of mine did everything in 10 months.
That's inspiring to hear! What do you think is the biggest barrier that makes the progress longer? I heard that winter is the biggest trouble, is it that bad if im gonna do this in Toronto?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Toronto doesn’t have much of a winter for Canada. The weather tends to be good when it’s very cold. I did do my ppl in the summer where the long days help. Especially if you are going to be only flying 2 days a week. I’d guess the biggest barrier is instructor/plane availability. I did my private by buying a share in a plane and using a freelance instructor. Commercial was done at a small flight school. Availability was never an issue for me

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The prairies have the best weather for flight training, sure it’s cold but rarely is it too cold to fly. The “nicer” weather places like Vancouver are actually horrible for flight training in the winter because it results in lots of fog / low cloud

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

HD9113 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:48 pmThat is also an option that I considered :D But some other members in Avcanada who work full time and fly weekend as a hobby said it takes around a year and half to secure only a PPL, which i think it is a long wait for me as I want to get all my license and fly commercially asap.
Getting a PPL in a year is a "casual" approach. If you're really working at this, you should have it in 6 months or less. But keep in mind that even if it takes a year, you're likely to go flying every week for a year. Sure, half of that will be with an instructor, but you'll be flying every week for a year. You're doing this because you love flying, right? And when you're done you'll have secured the PPL, and you'll have that head-start on the CPL later.

Return to “General Comments”