A Career in Aviation or Law Enforcement?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

A Career in Aviation or Law Enforcement?

Post by ad15 »

Hi Everyone,

I just made this account a couple of minutes ago to be able to see if I could reach out for some help. I believe I am currently undergoing what some people may call a "quarter-life crisis". I am 23, turning 24 in March, and am completely stuck between a career in law enforcement or aviation (becoming a pilot). I have a very, very small family. Both parents are only children from a different country and grandparents from both sides of the family aren't around anymore. I say this because I would have asked family members for advice on what to do. My father wants me to go with the Policing route as it is a government job, pays well, pension/benefits are great. He believes it is the "full package" when it comes to a career. My mother on the other hand wants me to pursue whatever makes me happy, and in this case, flying planes. I love to fly and have been on 2 discovery flights and took 3 lessons just over a year ago. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

Here is a little background about myself. I graduated from McMaster University last year with a Psychology degree. I will be going back to school starting this summer for another 8 months to get a B.A.Sc. in Human Behaviour. I don't need my second degree for anything in particular, it is strictly for self-satisfaction, keeping myself busy and I am fortunate enough to get an entire degree completed in just 8 months. Not all that long when we really think about it. I just got accepted into an Auxiliary Program with a police department within the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). Starting in May I will be going on ride-alongs, participating in RIDE programs, attending festivals, etc. I will be volunteering once a month, maybe more, depending on my availability. I am technically employed by the police department (as of this moment) and I will be volunteering for 1 year. After that I will have an interview lined up for the Constable position. I have put in a lot of work outside of my educational and work experience. I have been volunteering in the community for the past 2 years and participated in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities throughout my life one of which being playing the highest level of soccer in Canada back in 2012-2014. Once I begin volunteering as an Auxiliary Officer I am sure I will have a better understanding of what I want to do with my life, but again, I would love to hear from someone who was/is a Constable.

Now for the aviation component of this post. I regularly see my chiropractor on a monthly basis. He has a friend who is a Captain at Air Canada. I had three, 2-hour long conversations with the Captain from AC and I couldn't have been more grateful for it. He explained to me that given my situation and age, the best way to pursue a career in aviation would be to go head first. Do it full-time and as fast as I can in order to get a job in the airlines and get that seniority started. He even offered to help guide me whenever I had any questions about obtaining licenses, decisions that need to be made along the way and lending a hand in the hiring process at an airline. After going on those discovery flights and the first few lessons, all I can think about is flying. I'd like to get started in getting all my licenses and I would be interested in flying everyday in order to "make up for lost time" as some may say. One thing to note is that I love anything mechanical. Cars, motorcycles, planes, I absolutely love it all. I understand some people may say, "being a pilot is boring" and believe me, even the Captain from AC told me it is a pretty boring job, but I can stare out the window of anything for hours and never find myself hating my life... so there is that. I really love the idea of being able to work anywhere in the world if the opportunity came up. For example, if I were to ever end up in the States I could convert my licences. Even in Canada pilots can relocate to almost any major base (Toronto, Vancouver, etc.). With policing it isn’t so easy and most of the time people are stuck living where they work. In my case, I don’t see myself living in the GTA for the rest of my life.

Now for the expenses. I successfully paid for my university tuition and every single expense I've had since I was 16. I actually have approximately $50k saved, ready for my next move. I'm aware of the cost of flight training and time frames, when it comes to a career in aviation. My credit score is above 800. I can go to the bank and get a loan to cover the remaining costs of my flight training in a blink of an eye, but have never been a fan of incurring any sort of debt whatsoever. I don’t want to pursue a career in aviation for the money. It’s a long game and I’m well aware. On the other hand, there is a substantial amount someone can earn in a career in law enforcement, off the bat and in the end. Lots of opportunity to move up and advance your career.

If you have made it this far, I really appreciate you reading my post. Sometimes I find it hard trying to sleep at night not knowing what I will be doing for the rest of my life. There is even more pressure on me as my parents are old school.... got married at 21 and 23, worked 1 job since the day they came to Canada and don't like that I am turning 24 and I do not have my mind made up. If anybody wants to chime in and provide any sort of insight on both careers, that would be amazing. I don't want to make the wrong mistake. Be 40 years old and wishing I chose the other career path especially when I am in a good spot financially and physically to be able to make the right choice that I will have to hold onto for the rest of my life. There was someone who made a post similar to this one back in 2019. A member called "tps8903" responded saying he was/is both. Since I am new to this forum/website it will not allow me to PM him. If he is reading this by any chance, I would love to get in touch with him.

Thank you again,
Anthony
---------- ADS -----------

172DDriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A Career in Aviation or Law Enforcement?

Post by 172DDriver »

Since you said federal, I'm going to assume you mean RCMP. Both parents are members and the pay is good and benefits are nice. Nothing wrong with it, so maybe do that for some time, build some money and fly on the side, then when you are ready to make the jump, make the jump. Or better become a city cop and make more than the RCMP. The pay is drastically different between RCMP and local, the RCMP usually lags in pay around 5 years... Aviation you're going to make shit pay for a while trying to pay off your loan if you take that for flight training. It seems like you like law enforcement, and from a law enforcement family, it is a great career, so is aviation, but you can do both and fly for fun and actually have some extra money if you remain in law enforcement.

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ad15 »

172DDriver wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 am Since you said federal, I'm going to assume you mean RCMP. Both parents are members and the pay is good and benefits are nice. Nothing wrong with it, so maybe do that for some time, build some money and fly on the side, then when you are ready to make the jump, make the jump. Or better become a city cop and make more than the RCMP. The pay is drastically different between RCMP and local, the RCMP usually lags in pay around 5 years... Aviation you're going to make shit pay for a while trying to pay off your loan if you take that for flight training. It seems like you like law enforcement, and from a law enforcement family, it is a great career, so is aviation, but you can do both and fly for fun and actually have some extra money if you remain in law enforcement.
Sorry for the confusion. It is with a local police department that I will be volunteering with, not the RCMP or OPP. I figured it would be best to become a police officer, get some hands on experience and see if I like it after that. The only thing is the police college costs around $15k these days. By the time I’m hired, trained and ready to work independently, it will be 2-3 years from today. If I were to go the aviation route I could get all my licences/ratings and get some hours flight instructing as well by the time I were to get hired with the police.

Maybe I’m thinking too much about it and am too focused on timeframes rather than the enjoyment of going through the stages of life? Who knows, but I’m sure you could see where I’m coming from.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'd never talk someone out of a career in law enforcement. Pay, benefits, retirement, it's all there. Provided you meet the physical and mental requirements. You'll see things that nobody should have to see and you'll carry them with you to the grave, you'll have to learn to cope with that job stress and how it effects your family, but I'd do it, and I have several friends doing it.

As for flying, I would never ever talk someone into it. The pay, benefits, and working conditions are terrible, the lifestyle is destructive on family and friendships. You may get to the airlines in a short period or it may take decades. Once there you realise that the pay gets better, the working conditions improve, and the benefits come. But you have to do what it takes to get there and there's no magic pill to swallow to make it. It's hard work, sacrifice, timing, luck, networking, skill, luck, and don't forget luck.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Why not both. I know a couple guys who are pilots for various police services. Both had some flying experience first, became police officers and then got into the flight department.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

I understand why you would post your dilemma here but all you’re going to get is opinion on what others would do. Even if you only got a response from people who made it in their careers that’s creates a bias and you’ll never get a fully objective response.

Reading your initial post there doesn’t seem to be a question as to what route you should do and I am guessing you know what it is 😀

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ad15 »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:37 pm Why not both. I know a couple guys who are pilots for various police services. Both had some flying experience first, became police officers and then got into the flight department.
That may be the best option. Have a good-paying job with amazing job security to fall back on in case things do not work out. As I like to say, assume the worst and hope for the best. Sure it may take 5 or 6 years instead of the 2-3 to build up my hours and get my ratings, but not only would I have made $200-$300k within those 5 years, I will always have something to fall back on.

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ad15 »

co-joe wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 pm I'd never talk someone out of a career in law enforcement. Pay, benefits, retirement, it's all there. Provided you meet the physical and mental requirements. You'll see things that nobody should have to see and you'll carry them with you to the grave, you'll have to learn to cope with that job stress and how it effects your family, but I'd do it, and I have several friends doing it.

As for flying, I would never ever talk someone into it. The pay, benefits, and working conditions are terrible, the lifestyle is destructive on family and friendships. You may get to the airlines in a short period or it may take decades. Once there you realise that the pay gets better, the working conditions improve, and the benefits come. But you have to do what it takes to get there and there's no magic pill to swallow to make it. It's hard work, sacrifice, timing, luck, networking, skill, luck, and don't forget luck.
You are absolutely right. My father knows a few constables who are making just under $150k a year. They are milking the double overtime pay, but it goes to show what is actually possible if you want to work for it. That is a number the 5th year FO's are making on WB aircraft at AC. And to get to that point in your career? I'd say 10 years from the beginning of your flight training... if you're lucky. Most constables are happy with their $110k base salary, but even then, there is always room to move within the department. There is a saying "one career, endless opportunities". That's one thing that has appealed to me the most about law enforcement. Lots of different positions/roles that are accessible to those who put in the work.

As for aviation, if I pursued it full-time, what that means is I would be pursuing it over-time. I'm a pretty resourceful guy that doesn't like to waste time playing video games, etc. Hence the reason I have the amount saved at my age, all while paying for my own tuition. Throughout university I worked 40-50 hour weeks and didn't fool around. I'm pretty motivated and once I start something I always make sure it gets done the best way possible with the least amount of time wasted. That is why I'm not too afraid of putting in the work to get to where I need to be if I chose the aviation route.

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ad15 »

wordstwice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:44 pm I understand why you would post your dilemma here but all you’re going to get is opinion on what others would do. Even if you only got a response from people who made it in their careers that’s creates a bias and you’ll never get a fully objective response.

Reading your initial post there doesn’t seem to be a question as to what route you should do and I am guessing you know what it is 😀
Sometimes I feel the best option in life is the only option given to you. The more options you have, the more problems come with it. I'll be honest, I have been applying for this Auxiliary Officer position for the past 4 years, ever since I started my undergrad. I would send out applications to 5 departments every single year (applications are only open once a year for this program) and I never got past the first stage. I applied to a department that I have never applied to before (due to the location/distance from home) and told myself, "if nothing comes out of this, I'm over it". Low and behold, I successfully passed each stage in the application process and during the final interview where the recruiting panel decides if they want to hire you, I got the position on the spot. If it wasn't for that department accepting me into the program, I wouldn't be on this forum asking for advice right now. I would be on my way to getting the instructors rating :lol:

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

ad15 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm
wordstwice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:44 pm I understand why you would post your dilemma here but all you’re going to get is opinion on what others would do. Even if you only got a response from people who made it in their careers that’s creates a bias and you’ll never get a fully objective response.

Sometimes I feel the best option in life is the only option given to you. The more options you have, the more problems come with it. I'll be honest, I have been applying for this Auxiliary Officer position for the past 4 years, ever since I started my undergrad. I would send out applications to 5 departments every single year (applications are only open once a year for this program) and I never got past the first stage. I applied to a department that I have never applied to before (due to the location/distance from home) and told myself, "if nothing comes out of this, I'm over it". Low and behold, I successfully passed each stage in the application process and during the final interview where the recruiting panel decides if they want to hire you, I got the position on the spot. If it wasn't for that department accepting me into the program, I wouldn't be on this forum asking for advice right now. I would be on my way to getting the instructors rating :lol:
Considering your age, academic success and savings. You are clearly a motivated and ambitious individual who will do well at whatever you try to do. Those qualities would serve you well in an aviation career.

Many here are retired, late in their career or gave up on their aviation career. They are a bit jaded at times. It’s not a career for everyone. But if you can keep your enthusiasm for flying through out your career, it will be a rewarding. As far scheduling and all that goes, well a police job might be a bit better at the beginning but once you get a few years behind you at an airline it’ll even out.

As far as job security. The airlines have always had their ups and downs….. Policing…..new scumbags born every day.

You get out what you put in and if you can do that doing something you enjoy. Life will be good.

ad15
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ad15 »

gwagen wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
ad15 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Considering your age, academic success and savings. You are clearly a motivated and ambitious individual who will do well at whatever you try to do. Those qualities would serve you well in an aviation career.

Many here are retired, late in their career or gave up on their aviation career. They are a bit jaded at times. It’s not a career for everyone. But if you can keep your enthusiasm for flying through out your career, it will be a rewarding. As far scheduling and all that goes, well a police job might be a bit better at the beginning but once you get a few years behind you at an airline it’ll even out.

As far as job security. The airlines have always had their ups and downs….. Policing…..new scumbags born every day.

You get out what you put in and if you can do that doing something you enjoy. Life will be good.
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to mention you have read my post in its entirety. That's the thing. It is a lot of work in the beginning, but like most things, it will pay off especially if you are willing to do whatever it takes. I would say work-life balance is a lot better in the early stages of a policing career compared to one in aviation, but after 10 years the scale starts to level itself off, perhaps fall in favour of the aviation career side. After that point, you start to notice the hard work and time you've been putting in and it pays off.

The way I am looking at it is I would be going back to school for another 4 years. Some people enrol in post-graduate studies such as a Master's degree, go to medical school, etc. I currently have a friend who is halfway through his first year at the Chiropractic College in Toronto. He's got another 3 years left and he won't be seeing anything above $80k for the first 3-5 years of his practice. Does he wish he got a job right out of University? Absolutely not. We have the rest of our lives to make money. If you like what you do, the time flies (no pun intended) and the money will eventually come. I have a lot of friends who have skipped post-secondary education altogether and went straight into the trades. Due to their inability to be responsible with their money/savings, they are probably at least a couple years behind me WITHOUT any post-secondary education. I truly believe I am in a good spot regardless of the direction I take. It really helps that I do have a very large portion of savings put aside to be able to pursue aviation full-time. I have already been in contact with a local flight school and they are willing to provide a 10% discount on all my flight training if I put down a significant amount of $$$ up front.

The captain from AC I spoke with helped a lot. He gave me a rough timeline on when I should complete certain licences and how to do them the quickest and the most cost-effective way. He assured me things are moving a lot quicker than they were 20 years ago. He is involved in the hiring process and regularly sees pilots get all their ratings/licences within a year or two (at most), fly for a regional airline (mostly Jazz, of course) for 2-4 years and make the move to AC mainline. I did the numbers and from a financial perspective, things would average out to be anywhere from $50k a year to $70k. That is still a pretty decent amount in all fairness. It would take a lot of work, but I would continue working my current job in the evenings/nights while I flight instruct and would most likely work on my days off even if I were to be employed by a Regional airline. For what it's worth, I am a Manager at a local Cafe. I serve tables more so than manage and do the scheduling/hiring for the restaurant. I can put myself in every single night if I wanted to and be able to walk home with anywhere from $400-$800 a week in cash. Im in no way trying to flaunt this job I currently have, I just want everyone to have a better understand of where I am getting these numbers from, specifically additional income added to low salary of a regional pilot :rolleyes:

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Have you thought about the RCAF?

Everything you’ve written leads me to believe your heart is in aviation but practical considerations are pushing you towards law enforcement. As a pilot in the military the job stability, decent starting pay, and benefits present in law enforcement are applied to flying some very interesting machines in unique roles. The pension is even transferable to the RCMP later on, so once your contract is up if you’re tired of flying and want to pursue law enforcement the stability can follow you. Lots of ex-RCAF guys flying for airlines, corporate, RCMP, Coast Guard, etc.

There are certainly trade-offs to be made. The initial contract with the RCAF will be something close to 13 years. During this time you sacrifice some personal freedom and choice, for example where you’ll be living, but that may happen anyways chasing hours as a civilian.

It’s not for everyone, but I’ve had an outstanding career in the RCAF. Just one more option for you to consider.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I’ve got a couple years on you age wise but your dilemma reminds me of one of my closest friends and I. I currently work a low paying pilot job, he is a constable with YRP. He currently makes about 1.5 times what I make annually, and is scheduled for some nice annual raises coming up. He works 4 on 4 off, with a nice consistent schedule. He loves his job and gets paid well to do it, and will continue to be paid well to do it as he progresses. If you’re strictly looking at numbers, and the pros and cons within the first 5 years post completion of schooling, law enforcement is the easy winner.

However, if you’ve got the aviation bug who cares if the first 5 years heavily lean towards law enforcement as the favourable choice? You’re in a good spot financially, you’ve got a great secondary job to assist you with any low primary income situations you may find yourself in, and you’re still young. If your dream is to fly aircraft for a living then go get started tomorrow. Salary and QOL begin to improve massively once you build your flight experience to competitive levels. Pay starts off poorly but it sure can finish really damn well if you work hard enough for it.

To summarize: yeah my friend makes more than I do right now, but at the end of the day I get paid to fly aircraft around. As well, as I continue to fly aircraft around I’ll get paid more and more to do so. Hard to complain. Eliminate all of the external factors and consider which you’d rather do for the rest of your life, and go do it. You sound like you’re pretty set regardless of what you choose.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Based on the tone of your writing you have only one choice and like I said before, you already know what it is.

I have been in very similar situations in the past and any time I chose something for pay, security, etc etc, I always regretted it. You have many years ahead of you, take a chance and try a profession that truly aligns with your passions.

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

While I agree with a lot of people here I'll share my experience.

32 years ago I got out of the navy, went to university and ended up fighting fires for the past 28 years, got married and started a family.

About ten years in I seriously thought about giving it up and flying for a living. I didn't and have no regrets.

Now I'm coming up on retirement and am working on my instructor rating. Finally switching careers and going back to something for the fun of it, full pension and benefits.

You are, and rightly so looking at it from the other end of the tunnel. For me I made the right choice, for you, and only you can decide look at what will bring you joy. 28 years have gone by really quickly, you may not think so in your early 20's but before you know it...

Sure the first ten years flying may be crappy but they will become a blur and you will only remember the great times you had when you look back.

One last thing I will add about being a police officer. I know a lot and like my job you see a lot, it changes you and sometimes not for the best. You will see the absolute worst in people and situations, be constantly judged, hated and revered all at the same time. It's a very tough job, we sit on the side lines and arm chair quarterback them, watch the tv show's and think "that's not so tough..." but believe me, it's crap job.

FYI, a lot of cops switch over to fire....haha. Plus a lot don't put in thirty years to pension.

You only live once so have fun, do what you love...

Flying is like pizza....Even when it's bad it's good...

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

Avoid law enforcement. I'm a cop and all my senior friends agree the job turned to garbage starting in 2015 with the meth and fentanyl scourge turning people into zombies. I have been in patrols, traffic, and I'm also a bomb tech.

Policing is glorified babysitting now. Majority of calls are domestic violence and mental health related. You know that same loser who beat his wife last week and was charged? Well they are back at it throttling each other in a Best Buy parking lot and now you get to deal with the repeat and with a dozen onlookers filming you and telling you that YOU are the garbage.

Oh, Jimmy has a knife to his throat again....that's cool. Same as the last 6 times. Now you spend the evening in a hospital with Jimmy while he is handcuffed in a gurney with a spit sock over his head because he spit in your face while you were taking him into custody. Hope you don't have HEP!

These are the same 2 variations of situations you will deal with or someone on your crew will deal with DAILY .

Around 2 months ago I had a bomb suit on and was using a hot stick to sift through someone's blown up limbs and intestines looking for a secondary device. Really cool!

I have been punched, kicked, spit on, had my face slashed with a knife, had someone try to disarm me, and I have permanent lung damage from trying to pull some crazy loser out of a burning car. The biggest penalty in all that was a $50 fine for punching me in the face. A cell phone ticket is $300 in Alberta. Everything else was talked down to nothing or never went to court because junkies are supposedly the real victims in our society now. The court system and society won't give 2 Sh1ts what happens to you.

Ignore the stupid recruiting posters where they showcase the latest recruits with their bright smiling faces and bushy tails.

You can make more doing something else and not have brains and skull chunks raining down onto you from shotgun suicides and faking smiles at Christmas about how much fun you are having with your family while trying to forget about it

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

Maybe think about doing both, it worked for me. I did just over 31 years before retiring from law enforcement. I'd always wanted to be a pilot and coming out of high school looked into both careers. About halfway through I realized I, and many of my colleagues had no backup plan. Now I went the helicopter route, which is more expensive, but my first career paid for the training for my second career.

When you work in uniform you have a set schedule that allows you to plan your training. Investigative, and specialty units not so much. With the number of students going through schools you'd likely be able to build time instructing part-time and use that to pay off any remaining debt and add ratings (over a long period based on my understanding of instructor wages). I'd also steer you towards the Fire Department, people are happy when the Fire Department shows up, not so much when the Police arrive.

I've had similar discussions with friends kids just like the Air Canada Captain had with you. Take it for what it's worth - given the opportunity I would recommend going the fire route over policing (the salaries and pensions basically fall in line with each other and are compared to each other during contract negotiations). You've already stated your intention to go fixed wing, which is exactly what I tell friends kids who want to fly helicopters. Go fly planes and after you've established yourself add on a helicopter rating for the experience. However, admittedly I was told not to get my helicopter licence and it worked out pretty good for me. I'm now retired with a full pension, health benefits for life, and working full-time in the industry.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

ad15 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 am Hi Everyone,

Thank you again,
Anthony
Sent you a message. Call me.

Coles Notes:

Laminar's post is good. The previous post is also accurate, and it's kind of what I did. But I will always caution against police work for all but the most committed individuals. It's a shame really, because we need good police officers, but I know what "the job" does to people.

On policing:
If you really want to go first response Fire is the only reasonable option. Policing is just about the worse career choice you could make in this political climate. I worked 15 years between two major Ontario Police Services. It literally eats your soul one bite at a time. Of all my police friends, and I still have a lot of them, NONE actually enjoy their job. All of them say they wish they left like I did, 3 of them have, those 3 are all much happier now.

You're father is correct in regards to the gov job stuff. You just have to ask if it's worth it. Policing IS NOT, I repeat IS NOT a job you just do. It needs to be your vocation. Even then, it has plenty of potential to destroy you.

On flight training:
If you want to get going quick and save money, my personal preference, advice, and what I did. Buy a plane, hire an instructor and rack out flight training as fast as you can. It'll be cheaper than attending formal education, you'll never have to fight to schedule an airplane in the summer, and you'll own an airplane at the end of the ordeal, which, if maintained will be worth at least what you paid for it, possibly more. Most 60's and 70's Cessna's and their ilk are increasing in value. If you are interested in doing your own maintenance a quality homebuilt airplane would be an option as well (I did my training in my own homebuilt). There might be a couple exercises you will have to rent a plane for, usually spins (if yours isn't spin certified), and maybe instrument time (if your isn't IFR equipped). But that's it. Some planes can operate with maintenance reserve in the $35/hour range, although the median for training aircraft is likely closer to $60/hr if you are keeping a maintenance reserve. I did my own maintenance, so I got my hours for the cost of Mogas plus $50/hr when I needed my instructor on board. I sold my first airplane, recouped the capital cost and now own another higher performance homebuilt. I went from zero hours to CPL for well under $10,000, after recouping the capital cost of the plane.

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

Both have their struggles thats for sure.
Be aware, I've found a lot of the older mainline captains might be a little out of touch with the journey. When I was starting I had a couple guys who work for AC and WJ tell me I'd have to slug out at 35k for a couple years and then just head straight to a mainline, make tons of money, and live happily ever after. Unfortunately my journey didn't quite work out that way.
If you're going to be a pilot you really have to make sure you're okay with forgoing a lot of things in your 20's. Your friends will be getting houses, cars, vacations, etc, all while you're making less than 45k. If you're incredibly frugal and could care less about money then sure. Never know where this industry is going to go but you're probably looking at 7-10 years until you're making great captain money at a mainline. Its rough starting out, like 1,000$ every two weeks rough. Likely going to be needing roommates or living with parents for a while. Instructing might be the best route taking off 2-3 years at a northern or medevac outfit and heading straight to encore/jazz.
I'd imagine the current market career trajectory would be something like:
2-3 years instructing/survey/other PIC type job. 30-40k.
2-3 years medevac/northern/cargo/charter FO. 30-40k. If you're lucky maybe 45-50.
From here you could go captain at a regional or continue your airline seniority quest.
1-2 years at a jazz/encore FO type position. 40k.
2 years at a mainline FO. 60-75k.
Then finally captain making great money.
Everyone is different though, I've seen some very personable people make unreal connections and end up on a corporate jet 500 hours into their career.

I've never worked in law enforcement, but I have some friends who do. Some love it, and some absolutely hate it. You don't really know if you're going to be okay with seeing horrific things until the time actually comes. That said, money seems pretty solid, with great pension and benefits.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Depends how you’re made.

I love to fly, have extensively for personal and volunteering, but hate routine. I could never conceive of an airline career, its not a varied enough life for me. I suspect it would take the joy out of flying. If I flew for a career, in a different life, (I am over 50 now) I’d only want to fly overseas in missions work, for Ken Borek, or perhaps in the military as a helicopter pilot.

I became a trader to try to make enough money to be free, and set my own schedule, not work for anyone but myself. That said trading is a brutal life where those few successful work unbelievably hard. Its also incredibly rewarding and interesting.

I’ve stayed doing it because its all about solving an endlessly changing puzzle. Its never boring.

No day is the same, no year is the same, and that’s the way I am wired.

Figure out the way you are wired, and what brings you joy.

Return to “General Comments”