FAA "ACM" Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

88gtst
Rank 1
Rank 1

FAA "ACM" Exam

Post by 88gtst »

Has anyone taken this conversion exam lately?

I have the Gleim test prep software, however it seems to be geared more towards the normal ATP exam and has 1500+ questions. If you've taken this exam lately, can you share specific categories worth spending extra time on? This conversion exam is only 60 questions and from my understanding focuses mostly on differences between Canada and the USA, however I can't actually find any hard data on that. Just what I've been told.

I hold a TC ATPL, and have been flying for over 10 years at the 705 level. So my overall ATP knowledge is good, however I still have PTSD from TC exams of the past and want to ensure I am not missing anything before going in to write the "ACM".

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Hotoffthepress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FAA "ACM" Exam

Post by Hotoffthepress »

I can't comment on the ACM exam, however I've just used Sheppard Air for the FAA ATP ATM exam and it was very good.
https://www.sheppardair.com/atp.htm

According to their website, they also offer the ACM option - My suggestion would be to give Sheppard a call, and see whether they provide you with the ACM questions only. That would save you a lot of time.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I used Gliem, the exam was stupid easy, but this was about 5 years ago.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Sheppard does not have an ACM specific study course. They tell you to take their ATP course which covers way more than you will ever see on the ACM exam

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingbatt »

Looks like we could be in luck with GLEIM. Ive started to use their ACM-specific materiel, will update how it went after I write the exam next month.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/shop/ogsatpcr/

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

I used Dauntless. About two questions on the exam were word for word but all the topics were covered. Classmates studied the entire Sheppard ATP course. Most questions on the exam where word for word. Looks like Sheppard is the better option.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

88gtst wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:13 am Has anyone taken this conversion exam lately?

I have the Gleim test prep software, however it seems to be geared more towards the normal ATP exam and has 1500+ questions. If you've taken this exam lately, can you share specific categories worth spending extra time on? This conversion exam is only 60 questions and from my understanding focuses mostly on differences between Canada and the USA, however I can't actually find any hard data on that. Just what I've been told.

I hold a TC ATPL, and have been flying for over 10 years at the 705 level. So my overall ATP knowledge is good, however I still have PTSD from TC exams of the past and want to ensure I am not missing anything before going in to write the "ACM".

Thanks
It basically is the normal ATP exam. Don't be fooled by the "Canadian Differences" stuff. They asked like 4 questions on differences. The rest was reading FAA IFR plates, performance charts/calculations, and general aerodynamic/technical questions. Almost all questions were the type that required reading a note or asterisk. That being said, I didn't study hard at all, and passed with room to spare. FAA published data on failure rates, no one has failed the ACM in the last 5 years. The Gleim ACM question bank is accurate representation of this test.

sagabwoy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sagabwoy »

Anyone wrote this exam recently? any tips on which study guide to use? Dauntless or Gleim? or any other suggestions?

AP
negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Sheppard Air. It's super easy.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

+1 for Shepppard. Word for word exam questions

zacattac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zacattac »

I just took the ACM exam a week ago and it was super easy. It wasn't really about differences at all just some questions from the regular ATP knowledge test. I had nothing on weather at all. I studied the Gleim ground school and although there weren't questions on the exam word for word it was very similar. I studied way too much for how easy the exam was. I know my other classmates used Sheppard Air and all the questions were work for word.

KTMenduro
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KTMenduro »

Dingbatt wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:45 am Looks like we could be in luck with GLEIM. Ive started to use their ACM-specific materiel, will update how it went after I write the exam next month.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/shop/ogsatpcr/
How did the exam and the test prep work out? I am looking to write my conversion in the next couple of months.

KTMenduro
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KTMenduro »

88gtst wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:13 am Has anyone taken this conversion exam lately?

Thanks
I have very similar experience and am now planning to do my FAA ACM exam. Did you write the exam and do you have any additional tips for studying and prep?

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

Did you guys still do the ATP CTP Course? AC61-135A states that you still need to provide the course completion certificate to get the FAA ATP?

Tony_T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tony_T »

That's correct. You need to complete the ATP CTP course prior to writing the FAA written exam. You will need to present the certificate on the day of your exam.

Sheppard Air is the way to go for exam prep. They have a system for studying (more like memorizing). Make sure to read the instructions and follow step by step.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Exam was easy. I did my ATP CTP course Monday to Thursday. Then studied Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the ACM and wrote the next day. Got one question wrong and used Sheppard. I’m sure I would have passed had I just challenged it but for 75 bucks, the Sheppard course is well worth it. If you fail the ACM, you will need to pay an instructor to go through it with you and sign off for a recommend to write again. More money and more lost time. You DO NOT want to fail.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

Awesome feedback - thanks. FWIW - pretty much all the ATP-CTP courses are now 4 days groundschool/3 days sim. Glad to hear Sheppard is good gouge.

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks
It basically is the normal ATP exam. Don't be fooled by the "Canadian Differences" stuff. They asked like 4 questions on differences. The rest was reading FAA IFR plates, performance charts/calculations, and general aerodynamic/technical questions. Almost all questions were the type that required reading a note or asterisk. That being said, I didn't study hard at all, and passed with room to spare. FAA published data on failure rates, no one has failed the ACM in the last 5 years. The Gleim ACM question bank is accurate representation of this test.
Do you recall getting any MET questions, or was it strictly from the categories you mentioned above? TIA.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

pilotguy53 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:52 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks
Do you recall getting any MET questions, or was it strictly from the categories you mentioned above? TIA.
No direct MET. Only as it applies to approach minimums etc.

Some systems questions. Like is N2 Low or high pressure stage.

Lots of chart reading, almost always the correct answer refers to a special note on the plate.

Lots of performance chart interpolation, once again read all the special notes on the chart. There was a DC3 fuel burn question, the chart was for a single engine. So you had to double your answer as an example.

The test is pretty easy, but I can't stress enough, read every note and asteriks.

Return to “General Comments”