Move to Yellowknife?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yyzpilotguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Move to Yellowknife?

Post by yyzpilotguy »

Question to anyone who has been there/done that. Did you move to Yellowknife for a foot in the door job as a newbie CPL?
If you could go back in time, would you do it again?
---------- ADS -----------

McTarmac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Move to Yellowknife?

Post by McTarmac »

Do it
You might love it, you might not
Either way,
You will have stories and experiences, you will remember forever:
I’d do it again in a heartbeat

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Yes and yes.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Absolutely yes. And yes.

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

Yellowknife is a full-size town, it's pretty nice, the housing cost is prohibitive but otherwise, it's way better than a lot of NW Ontario or north Manitoba towns where you can find an entry-level job!

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Absolutely

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

Born here, but stayed and love it. It’s expensive, but it’s all relative: you can substitute teach on your days off (no qualifications required, just a criminal records check), and make over $300/day to supplement income if desired. Gas is $1.50, but we typically only drive 8-10k per year. Probably less if you don’t have kids.

PM with any questions!

Jeff

YG
Skysurfer1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skysurfer1 »

Yes! Loved that city. Regret leaving for a different base. Young community with lots going on outside work.

The winters are long but actually loved it then. Dress appropriate!!

I’d go back if a jet base opened in a heartbeat.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

What a dump. Speaking from experience. Lot's of delusional people trying to justify their experience. There is nothing nice about it. Maybe if the cost of living was 1/3 of what it is now. You want a northern experience in a good way keep going west. But the cost of living does not justify living in the north.

yyzpilotguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yyzpilotguy »

Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like a 7:1 vote for the move. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Are you going up as a "lurker" or as a rampie? If you're planning on lurking, best have 2 different resumes, one that mentions being a pilot and one that doesn't.

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by just clearing the trees »

In my experience, the NWT is a nicer place than northern Ontario, Manitoba or Saskatchewan. The only place you're likely to find a more enjoyable "northern experience" is the Yukon. Yellowknife itself is not without its charms, but still overall a dump. Far superior to other comparable cities like Thompson though. The cost of living is off the charts expensive and while the local operators pay a bit more than comparable jobs down south, it's not actually enough to make up for that extra expense. If you enjoy the outdoors or at least have enough of an open mind to try new hobbies, you won't be bored. If you're a stick in the mud about that stuff, you'll quickly find yourself in the camp of "there's nothing to do here." It's largely what you make of it, in that regard. Career progression is generally pretty good and the experience you'll gain will be very interesting and well regarded when you decide to move on.

Unless it floats, it ain't worth flying.
Cheftony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheftony »

Highly recommend it. Best flying I have ever done. Amazing group of people. Do it !

PersonPersonson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PersonPersonson »

I'd go back in a heartbeat. Yellowknife is a really wild place. If you plan to sit on your couch all winter you won't enjoy it.... but that goes for anywhere really. There's a real sense of community there. Everything is a 10 minute drive or less. Life is simpler in the north in the best way you could imagine.

"There haven't been many times I've told myself I had too much fuel"
WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Yellowknife is a good place to live.
While I was only there a few years, I enjoyed it.

Whitney
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I worked there for years and was “offered” to move there. I just about spit my beer out when the boss man said that. The only entity that benefits from you moving there is the employer. It’s a nice place to visit, not live.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Looks like pilots are the ones who enjoy that place.

As an AME, who did many contracts over several years up there, I was never excited to go there and always happy to leave. Overpriced hole of a place with nothing to offer except snow sports and insect evasion.

Not sure what the gaga's in this thread are raving about but I found that place to be a sort of TBay of the North.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by young grasshopper »

Pat Richard wrote:
As an AME, who did many contracts over several years up there, I was never excited to go there and always happy to leave.
I think this describes how every rotator feels about their place of employment (I have commuter friends who say the same about YYZ/YVR).

Pat- I think you honestly did a great job of proving that everyone likes something different, and this place isn’t for everyone. And that’s OK! My folks and in-laws are both here in YZF. I love the fact that they are here, and I can be really involved in coaching my kids’ activities because everything is so close. I drop them off to school each day and I’m home most nights. The pay is great too (yes, it is expensive though). For me, that outweighs the fact that this place is isolated and cold.

I could never live in YYZ or on an acreage in the middle of nowhere. However, I have friends who say that it is their dream to someday live in one of those places. My advice is if people are up for trying something new, move up here and try it out (don’t rotate). Be involved in the community: join a team, volunteer with a club, try coaching a sport, basically just get out there and meet new people! And, when/if it’s time to leave, do it! But, at least when you move, you can say you tried it out. You might confirm to yourself that it’s just the TBay of the North…or you might look back at it as just a great memory of starting a career and look back fondly at the great people you met along the way. Regardless, I completely agree: it’s not for everyone.

YG
tanxiaoneng
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanxiaoneng »

I'm considering the same thing and would definitely love some northern flying experiences now or later!

But how did you guys land a job there in the first place? Did you pay personal visits to the airline offices to talk, worked on the ramp first, or what?

Appreciate any information!

Return to “Employment Forum”