FedEx wants Anti-missile Countermeasures

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

FedEx wants Anti-missile Countermeasures

Post by dhc# »

FedEx Wants To Equip Airbus A321s With Anti-Missile Laser Countermeasures

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ermeasures

Wonder what the sim script for this scenario would look like :wink:
---------- ADS -----------

Bogus pitotubes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: FedEx wants Anti-missile Countermeasures

Post by Bogus pitotubes »

On taxi out ATC calls aircraft & tells it to taxi back to ramp. Cops waiting as they blinded a welder working in an adjacent hanger/they forgot to disarm the system for taxi.

They will need 2 types of pilots - with/without secret, or higher, security clearances. :wink:
Wonder how much danger $ goes with a DIRCM system these days

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, good luck with that! I've approved a number of laser survey systems over the years, and it's getting much more difficult. TC, the FAA, and EASA are all putting many more restrictions on laser emissions from airplanes.

WhataYoke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WhataYoke »

Need I remind everyone that there already is a passenger airline in the world that runs a missile defence system on every single one of their planes and have been running it since 2004. They're based in the middle east and seem to be the only ones allowed to use it. You can search for yourself. :roll:

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

WhataYoke wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 pm Need I remind everyone that there already is a passenger airline in the world that runs a missile defence system on every single one of their planes and have been running it since 2004. They're based in the middle east and seem to be the only ones allowed to use it. You can search for yourself. :roll:
Your information is incorrect. I'm assuming that you're referring to El Al airlines, as they are one of the only commercial passenger airlines to fit their aircraft with anti-missile countermeasure systems. Another Israeli airline, Israir, has also been known to fit their A320s with the same system.

The system, known as C-MUSIC, and manufactured by Elbit Systems, incorporates an infrared missile approach and warning system (MAWS) alongside a directed IR countermeasure (DIRCM), i.e. a laser which is used to blind and misdirect infrared-guided missiles. C-MUSIC is a self-contained modular pod that is fitted to the underside of the fuselage and is swappable between aircraft as required.

El Al installs the pods on aircraft which fly "sensitive" routes, i.e. routes on which their aircraft may be at risk of a missile attack. These are predominantly shorter range flights, in the neighborhood so to speak, thus you will see the system primarily fitted on El Al's 737 fleet. To my knowledge, El Al's 787 fleet, which serves primarily long-haul international destinations, is not fitted with the system. I suspect there is no regulatory approval for such a system to be allowed to operate within Canada, the United States, or the EU, for example.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Competition in air cargo/overnight delivery appears to be getting intense.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Fedex doesn’t even have 321’s though….

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:25 am Fedex doesn’t even have 321’s though….
It's probably some FEDEX feeder. Journalists are terrible.

Return to “General Comments”