Life/Housing in Yellowknife/Whitehorse

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Life/Housing in Yellowknife/Whitehorse

Post by outflying8 »

Looking for some information from those in the know (either from company knowledge or personal experience)….But aside from the obvious downsides of moving up north, is the exhorbinent housing prices.

I am mostly looking to see if anyone knows if NavCanada has company housing available up there (and ideally what they have/cost etc…) I can’t seem to find anything in the forums, and the only collective agreement I can readily find expired 2019 and doesn’t seem to have it readily available in there.

Was also curious if anyone knows if Nav provides any relocation assistance whatsoever to your first post if it is way up north (once qualified obviously).

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Life/Housing in Yellowknife/Whitehorse

Post by kashep »

There is company housing available in Yellowknife. No idea what it's like or how much it costs. You might find some info on ncjc.ca, the documentation that governs relocation, isolated posts, etc.

Nav provides full assistance to send you to your first posting. Pretty much nothing is out of pocket.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

kashep wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:49 pm Nav provides full assistance to send you to your first posting. Pretty much nothing is out of pocket.
According the the NCJC website, that assistance might only apply AFTER you qualify at your new site:

2.3. Initial Appointment
2.3.1. Relocation expenses are not normally reimbursed on your initial appointment to NAV CANADA. In exceptional circumstances, when it is considered essential for effective staffing action, relocation assistance will be negotiated with you during the selection phase. The terms agreed upon will be included in the offer, duly recorded and adhered to when you relocate to the first place of duty.

2.5. Special Provisions for Air Traffic Control Trainees
2.5.1. Notwithstanding section 5.10.1.3 of the Travel Program, employees represented by the Canadian Air Traffic Control Association who are sent to another location for training for a period of more than four (4) months will be entitled to the provisions of the Relocation Program, including the sale and purchase of a principal residence, with the following conditions:
a) costs related to the purchase of a new principal residence at the training location will be reimbursed if the trainee meets unit qualifications at this location.

In other words, aren't you responsible for everything until you qualify and get your license and THEN you can apply for the assistance?

kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kashep »

My experience is in FSS but I think it would be the same for anybody.

Initial appointment refers to basic training. There is no relocation assistance to get you to basic training except maybe in the case where they want you to train in a region other than where you applied.

Your first posting the move is covered. There is no house hunting trip for ab initios but the company does cover accommodations and per diems for some period of time until you find a place. The weight limit for the moving company for ab initios is lower than for full employees and I doubt the benefits related to assistance in selling your previous house would apply.

It wouldn't really be fair of them to tell one guy to pay to move to Whitehorse and another guy to pay to move to Villeneuve. I'm not sure if this all changes if you don't check out at your site (FSS has a higher success rate), but I was reimbursed all moving costs well before I checked out.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

When I was in YZF I was in a 2 bedroom apartment that was rented from another company. Cost be around $800 a month all in, and it was deducted from my pay biweekly. The going rate for the place was around $1600 a month plus utilities, so it was quite a good deal. Now Nav owns some units and I think they run around $1100 a month for a 3 bedroom condo. You do not need to live in the company housing, and if you don't you will be paid some allowances that cover quite a bit of a mortgage payment. I was happy with my place, it was on Niven Drive and had a nice kitchen and patio.

I don't think YXY has company housing, but they will have some of the housing allowances. It's in ncjc.ca under the IPA program.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”