Skymaster Down

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Skymaster Down

Post by Mick G »

Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44. Its called "Blackhawk Down" does anybody know where I can stream this for free? It was supposed to be on last Sunday, but I don't have the documentary channel
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44. Its called "Blackhawk Down" does anybody know where I can steam this for free? It was supposed to be on last Sunday, but I don't have the documentary channel
Black Hawk Down is a 2001 film about an American Black Hawk that was shot down in Mogadishu in 1993. Very entertaining, I recommend it.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Okay, its called "Skymaster Down" I just checked, must have got that mixed, up. I remember watching that Blackhawk movie, as I recall it was pretty good

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Skymaster Down

Post by AirFrame »

Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44.
44? In a Skymaster?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 am
Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44.
44? In a Skymaster?
That would be the Douglas C-54 “Skymaster”, a modified DC-4, not the Cessna 337 Skymaster. Not confusing at all!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_C-54_Skymaster

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Not to stray too much.... But anyone who has a fondness for the Mixmaster might get a kick out of the movie Bat*21, based on a true story during the Vietnam war. I watched it during my first season in Northern Sask with the Ministry.
While it takes some pretty creative liberties in the physics department, it's a neat presentation of the armed O-2 variant of the suck n' blow. (Not Jenna Jameson)

I'm also interested in this doc, I msged their FB account and will report.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

NotDirty! wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:59 amThat would be the Douglas C-54 “Skymaster”, a modified DC-4, not the Cessna 337 Skymaster. Not confusing at all!
Ah! Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

NotDirty! wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:59 am
44? In a Skymaster?
That would be the Douglas C-54 “Skymaster”, a modified DC-4, not the Cessna 337 Skymaster. Not confusing at all!

Few years back, ATC told us to keep an eye out for TBM traffic. I was wee bit disappointed after the TBM that went by wasn’t a Grumman.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm
A response from the director when I asked if you can watch anywhere but the documentary channel:
"Not right now but I expect CBC Gem will broadcast it."

It will be rebroadcasted a few times soon on the doc channel if you want to get it short term, or get someone to record it. I don't even know if I have it, but I'll be checking because I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Cheers

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44. Its called "Blackhawk Down" does anybody know where I can stream this for free? It was supposed to be on last Sunday, but I don't have the documentary channel
The craziest part of that story, if I recall correctly, is a bunch of planes also crashed during the search effort for the first one.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

FL030 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:01 pm
Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm Hey Gang, I saw an advertisement for what looks to be a neat documentary on the 1951 disappearance of the C54 in BC that killer 44. Its called "Blackhawk Down" does anybody know where I can stream this for free? It was supposed to be on last Sunday, but I don't have the documentary channel
The craziest part of that story, if I recall correctly, is a bunch of planes also crashed during the search effort for the first one.
Could we get a bit of accuracy here? The aircraft was a Douglas DC-4. The military version was called the C-54 Skymaster, The registration was CF-CPC. The aircraft was on a United Nations flight from Vancouver to Tokyo with a scheduled stop at Anchorage. The date was July 21, 1951. It reported at the Cape Spencer intersection in northern BC. Not sure where that is/was. The next PX was supposed to be Yakutat but it never reported. The logical area of the disappearance would have been in the Sitka AK area.I have a list of names of the crew and passengers. 6 crew and 31 passengers for a total of 37 onboard.

AP

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm
Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:28 pm
A response from the director when I asked if you can watch anywhere but the documentary channel:
"Not right now but I expect CBC Gem will broadcast it."

It will be rebroadcasted a few times soon on the doc channel if you want to get it short term, or get someone to record it. I don't even know if I have it, but I'll be checking because I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Cheers
Thanks for that info, I am eagerly looking forward to being able to see this.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Antique Pilot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 pm
Could we get a bit of accuracy here? The aircraft was a Douglas DC-4. The military version was called the C-54 Skymaster, The registration was CF-CPC. The aircraft was on a United Nations flight from Vancouver to Tokyo with a scheduled stop at Anchorage. The date was July 21, 1951. It reported at the Cape Spencer intersection in northern BC. Not sure where that is/was. The next PX was supposed to be Yakutat but it never reported. The logical area of the disappearance would have been in the Sitka AK area.I have a list of names of the crew and passengers. 6 crew and 31 passengers for a total of 37 onboard.

AP

That's a negative Ghostrider, the one in the documentary was about is a Military C54 flight from Alaska to Montana.

See link below. It is an easy mistake, as they both disappeared within a year of each other, I don't blame you for getting it mixed up, easy mistake, no need to chastise us without doing the appropriate research though :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Doug ... appearance

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Mick G wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:38 pm
Antique Pilot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:38 pm

AP

That's a negative Ghostrider, the one in the documentary was about is a Military C54 flight from Alaska to Montana.

See link below. It is an easy mistake, as they both disappeared within a year of each other, I don't blame you for getting it mixed up, easy mistake, no need to chastise us without doing the appropriate research though :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_Doug ... appearance
Wow, they lost three C-47's in the search effort. Crazy times.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

44? In a Skymaster?
Yeah, I thought that too, but the old DC-6 was called a Skymaster, although that may only have been the military version. Come to think of it, and I haven't read the link, I think that was actually a DC-4. I know Air Canada called them Northstars.

You don't read much about 337's going down. Two I can remember in BC. The one at the top of St. Mary's Pass above Crawford Bay, and the one at the top of the Blueberry Paulson that spun in on a fire patrol.

I don't think the DC-4 was pressurized though. Could be wrong.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Okay, so I've been gibbering on about the Air Canada flight that hit Mt. Slesse going east after the All Star Football game.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The show was just on CBC Documentary channel, so it'll probably be one again...

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

cncpc wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 pm
44? In a Skymaster?
Yeah, I thought that too, but the old DC-6 was called a Skymaster, although that may only have been the military version. Come to think of it, and I haven't read the link, I think that was actually a DC-4. I know Air Canada called them Northstars.

You don't read much about 337's going down. Two I can remember in BC. The one at the top of St. Mary's Pass above Crawford Bay, and the one at the top of the Blueberry Paulson that spun in on a fire patrol.

I don't think the DC-4 was pressurized though. Could be wrong.
Air Canada did not operate Northstars. Trans Canada Air Lines did. They were called DC-4M’s which signifies the use of the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engines. They cruised about 100 mph faster than a DC-4 with P&W R2000 engines. Canadair in Montreal in the late 1940’s built up 71 Northstars. They utilized parts and components from DC-6’s, DC-4’s, and C-54’s. For instance the landing gear was from a DC-6. The airline versions were pressurized. Those used by the RCAF were not pressurized.

AP

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”