Youngest woman completed solo global trip!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Youngest woman completed solo global trip!

Post by DanWEC »

Now this is how you do an XC trip!
Cue the comments on hoping she got her logbook stamped. ;)

[https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ound-world]
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Youngest woman completed solo global trip!

Post by Bede »

Sorry to rain on your parade but these "youngest pilot to fly x" has been frowned upon since the Jessica Dubroff accident. These sorts of things speak more about the financial means of the parents than any sort of flying skills.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Good publicity for the a/c manufacturer. As long as nobody dies.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I also find these types of "records" to be pointless and narcissistic. "Youngest person to... fly a single engine plane, sail around the world solo, etc".

These types of endeavors require years of expertise, knowledge and training, not to mention a dose of maturity. I could never support such things for the reasons stated above. I haven't even gotten into the whole "ethical" part of it, both from a parent's perspective and financial waste.

Don't get me wrong, boundaries are meant to be broken; just not in this way.

Last edited by RoAF-Mig21 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am These sorts of things speak more about the financial means of the parents than any sort of flying skills.
Isn't that the case with most aviation records though? Money is almost always the biggest hurdle.

Anyway, still a great adventure! Stories like this are always good to encourage more people to pick up flying.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 am I also find these types of "records" to be pointless and narcissistic. "Youngest person to... fly a single engine plane, sail around the world solo, etc".

These types of endeavors require years of expertise, knowledge and training, not to mention a dose of maturity.
Who says she didn't have that?

She either had the required years of expertise, knowledge and training, or your statement is false :wink:

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 am I also find these types of "records" to be pointless and narcissistic. "Youngest person to... fly a single engine plane, sail around the world solo, etc".

These types of endeavors require years of expertise, knowledge and training, not to mention a dose of maturity.

She either had the required years of expertise, knowledge and training, or your statement is false :wink:
At 19? Come on. What type of aviation experience could she have at that age? I'm not putting the girl down. She's definitely bright, but we're talking about age and experience here. She's not flying from Sarnia to London, ON.

You must not have kids, do you?

Just because a 1500 hrs King Air Captain with an ATPL can legally be skipper of a 747 doesn't mean he or she will should do it, or can do it, or will be hired to do it.

If I learned anything from my years studying mechanical engineering is that "Factor of Safety" or "Safety Margin" is a thing and it applies to many aspects of our daily life. These types of activities not only put the young person at risk but any potential rescue personnel that may be called uupon to get them out of a situation they should not have been in.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

There is an inherent element of risk when you embark on anything that hasn't been done by anybody before you. That's part of the deal.
The Dubroff situation was gut-wrenchingly awful, but she was 7. It was an utter tragedy that never should have happened. This person is 19.
She's an adult, heck, she could have been flying a bomber 70 years ago.

Being younger isn't much different than the experience level of a 40 year old who took up sailing a few years ago who decided to circumnavigate.

Anyhow, she did something that none of us did, so I congratulate her!

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am There is an inherent element of risk when you embark on anything that hasn't been done by anybody before you. That's part of the deal.
The Dubroff situation was gut-wrenchingly awful, but she was 7. It was an utter tragedy that never should have happened. This person is 19.

Being younger isn't much different than the experience level of a 40 year old who took up sailing a few years ago who decided to circumnavigate.

Anyhow, she did something that none of us did, so I congratulate her!
I partly agree with you Dan. I started riding motorcycles in my mid 30s. I definitely did not have experience before that, but maturity can make up (to a point) for lack of skill. You are a bit more cautious, less likely to engage in recklessness, etc.

I also don't think a 40 year old who just took up sailing 2 years ago should attempt sailing around the world... solo.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Of course. It's all about mitigating risk. This was planned, successful, and likely a thousand pages of logistics as it was just a long string of normal legs one after another. It took a year. She pulled it off, didn't prang the aircraft, and the fact she's sitting in Belgium likely blowing the froth off a Leffe Brun (Or maybe I'm projecting.) demonstrably shows she has the necessary skill. I think it's a fantastic accomplishment.

Last edited by DanWEC on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 am
digits_ wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 am

At 19? Come on. What type of aviation experience could she have at that age? I'm not putting the girl down. She's definitely bright, but we're talking about age and experience here. She's not flying from Sarnia to London, ON.
Well if you claim she didn't have the required experience, yet she completed the taks, then logically, the required experience was, after all, not required.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Did anyone catch her as she went through Canada? Apparently she stopped in St. Hubert and Goose bay.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Bede wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am Sorry to rain on your parade but these "youngest pilot to fly x" has been frowned upon since the Jessica Dubroff accident. These sorts of things speak more about the financial means of the parents than any sort of flying skills.
Actually this trip was sponsored from start to finish.
Yes, she may thanks her family for financing her initial training and pilot license but this certainly was not a full blown ATPL from Euro land.

I met this young Lady in one of her stop 3/4 of the way (Not in North America) She seemed more mature than a lot of people I know, myself included! Very safety orientated. Happy to talk a little to the motley crew we were instead of the perpetual journalists, Officials or airport workers.
She was in more or less constant communication with her "Headquarters" for advices while flying. I think they were giving most of the instructions on how to tackle en route weather. That sort of things. I cannot recall how many diversions or flight cancellation she already had done at that stage! One important thing to know, they were no time limit to have this world tour completed. All in all she was not left alone to do it.

But yes when we saw her taking Off in her little single engine (No matter how fancy looking it was) And heading for another VFR leg above water, I think we were all thinking "hmmmm....Not sure I would do it myself"

So Hat off for making it (In 200hrs or so) Hat off also to those who took care of this logistic nightmare :mrgreen:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

The issue isn't that she isn't mature, or that she even did this trip. The issue is that the associated media frenzy and self promotion is antithetical to the pilot ethos. Ever wonder why there's never been a "Pilot of the Year" award? Every other profession has these awards. We don't do it because, for one it's lame, and two, we don't like to draw attention to ourselves.

I've been involved in aviation since a young age. At one point I was the youngest pilot ever to do/get x. I didn't set out to set a record, I just did something and someone said, I wonder if you hold the age record and contacted someone at TC. Big deal-my career peaked at age 18.
A friend of mine had a son who had some aerobatic qualifications while still a SPP. It was cool, but he didn't set out to set a record and he certainly didn't call the media.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

This kind of trip is best left to children. Adults understand they have too much to lose.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Bede, I get your predilection for modesty and I respect you for it.
But, man... I hope she reads these comments and realizes what a mistake she made.....
Why does everything on AvCanada always become so AvCanada? :shock:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I never said she made a mistake. Its a cool trip. Good on her. I just don't think it's good for people to get excited about the youngest person to do x, in whatever field it is.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Good on her I say, she'll have memories and stories to last a lifetime. And if she does pursue a career in aviation this experience will not only be an interesting bullet on the resume but show that she can handle logistical spiderwebs and come out the other side in one piece. In my youth given the opportunity I would have loved to try something like this, these days however you could not pay me enough to fly SEP over that amount of water no mater the season.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:05 pmWhy does everything on AvCanada always become so AvCanada? :shock:
Because it's AvCanada. AntiVax capital of the aviation internet.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

I sure as hell would much rather fly with her and listen to all the stories she must have from this trip alone. Than be regaled with the millionth time someone flew in or out of some reserve full of pop and chips, or the many creative descriptors used to call the Natives.

Return to “General Comments”