US ULCC

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

US ULCC

Post by rudder »

Here is what it looks like in a sellers market for pilots in the US ULCC segment:

https://www.aerocrewnews.com/aviation-n ... pensation/
---------- ADS -----------

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: US ULCC

Post by RRJetPilot »

Will be tough in Canada because Canadian pilots think they are worthless and dont value their profession at all. Some even vote for permanent wage concessions of 10% just because the company asks. To "capture the flying". Once the US Visa opens and 30% of the pilots apply to American carriers (I am one), things will change. Unless you have serious heavy ties to this hellhole, I cant see anyone sane staying in Canada. This Country is pathetic.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

On a currency adjusted basis, those ‘starting’ pay rates at a US ULCC equal the top scale rates at the highest paying CDN NB operator.

Pathetic.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

RRJetPilot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:36 pm Will be tough in Canada because Canadian pilots think they are worthless and dont value their profession at all. Some even vote for permanent wage concessions of 10% just because the company asks. To "capture the flying". Once the US Visa opens and 30% of the pilots apply to American carriers (I am one), things will change. Unless you have serious heavy ties to this hellhole, I cant see anyone sane staying in Canada. This Country is pathetic.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way through it, Caio

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

My next wife is going to be American. She may be old and ugly but that’s ok. I need me a green card.

YVRorbust
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRorbust »

RRJetPilot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:36 pm Once the US Visa opens and 30% of the pilots apply to American carriers (I am one), things will change. Unless you have serious heavy ties to this hellhole, I cant see anyone sane staying in Canada. This Country is pathetic.
I know Cannabis is legal now but you might be over doing it. :rolleyes:

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

Wouldn’t it be refreshing if Lynx/Flair/Swoop followed suit!

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Col. Panic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:29 pm Wouldn’t it be refreshing if Lynx/Flair/Swoop followed suit!
😂😂, In typical Cdn fashion it will be who can lower the requirements the fastest. The States requires an ATPL to be an FO, after the Colgan crash. Here not so much, so a CA will be babysitting/training every flight with 189 peeps in the back. It’s already happened at the regional level, and I bet with will be standard practice at the ULCC within 1-2 years.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Sunwing has a Cadet program for 250 hour Seneca grads just like Jazz does. 250 hour 737 FO was already happening before COVID

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:45 am
😂😂, In typical Cdn fashion it will be who can lower the requirements the fastest. The States requires an ATPL to be an FO, after the Colgan crash. Here not so much, so a CA will be babysitting/training every flight with 189 peeps in the back. It’s already happened at the regional level, and I bet with will be standard practice at the ULCC within 1-2 years.
If that is the case, wouldn't at least Captains make make money equivalent to the US Captains?

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Ask a Sunwing CA I guess

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Federally mandating both pilots have a ATPL in the front would be a start.

PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:34 pm Federally mandating both pilots have a ATPL in the front would be a start.
Ha, as if having an ATPL makes you a good pilot. Some of the biggest clowns I’ve flown with have an ATPL. It’s not really a good measure of a professional Pilot.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Acquiring an ATPL and the associated 1500 hours would definitely improve the abilities/confidence of First Officers over a 250 hour candidate. There are clowns with 15000 hours.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

PRM1 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:33 am
CaptainHaddock wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:34 pm Federally mandating both pilots have a ATPL in the front would be a start.
Ha, as if having an ATPL makes you a good pilot. Some of the biggest clowns I’ve flown with have an ATPL. It’s not really a good measure of a professional Pilot.
I'm not sure how you cold be missing the point here. Does having an ATPL mean you're usually more experienced and competent than someone without it? Of course it does, but there are also exceptions. But that is besides the point. A 1500 hour rule similar to the US's would severely restrict the pool of qualified candidates for the airlines. At that point is simply becomes a matter of supply and demand. Let me know if you also need that explained to you.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Not only is the WAWCON at most Canadian airlines abysmal compared to US industry wages (even before the glory years pre-COVID), but what will amplify a shortage of industry workers going forward (ie. pilots/AME's/Flt Attn./ground staff etc) is the current real rate of inflation. As it stands now most contracts don't accurately reflect this, putting everyone working for subpar wages to start with at an even bigger wage disadvantage, this could drive many from joining or/and leaving the airline industry. With some airlines already lowering applicant qualifications to the bare minimum, to try and make up any staffing shortages, this won't end well, with perhaps in the near future a Colgan type incident happening in Canada....

Gravity always wins
airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 pm Not only is the WAWCON at most Canadian airlines abysmal compared to US industry wages (even before the glory years pre-COVID), but what will amplify a shortage of industry workers going forward (ie. pilots/AME's/Flt Attn./ground staff etc) is the current real rate of inflation. As it stands now most contracts don't accurately reflect this, putting everyone working for subpar wages to start with at an even bigger wage disadvantage, this could drive many from joining or/and leaving the airline industry. With some airlines already lowering applicant qualifications to the bare minimum, to try and make up any staffing shortages, this won't end well, with perhaps in the near future a Colgan type incident happening in Canada....
I don't see what the Colgan accident has to do with hiring low time pilots. The Captain had 3379 hours total, and the F/O had 2244 hours total.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 pm With some airlines already lowering applicant qualifications to the bare minimum, to try and make up any staffing shortages, this won't end well, with perhaps in the near future a Colgan type incident happening in Canada....
Take a look at the history of transport category aircraft incidents in Canada. The majority involved pilots in the 10,000+ hour group.

The folks whining for a 1500 hour rule in Canada dont understand one of the realities of how the regulator works. The regulator is tasked with ensuring safety of the travelling public, not with creating an environment that artificially increases pilot wages.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

“The folks whining for a 1500 hour rule in Canada dont understand one of the realities of how the regulator works. The regulator is tasked with ensuring safety of the travelling public, not with creating an environment that artificially increases pilot wages.”

We really haven’t had whole-scale adoption of 250hr First Officers here (yet)on large jets, so there wouldn’t be a lot of transport aircraft accident data available here. We have a pretty enviable safety record for such a large country, there have been many international accidents connected to inexperience in the flight deck. The regulator was very slow to enact the duty regs that were proposed about 15 years ago, they certainly aren’t a flawless organization. Having a copilot with 1-2 years commercial flying experience occupying the right seat on a A320/B737 shouldn’t seem like a big ask for the ‘travelling public’. They are certainly not a single pilot Aircraft.

I’m guessing you are against it as a lever for pilot wages in a shortage, not the idea of have experienced competent flight crew in the cockpit.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

CaptainHaddock wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:36 pm “The folks whining for a 1500 hour rule in Canada dont understand one of the realities of how the regulator works. The regulator is tasked with ensuring safety of the travelling public, not with creating an environment that artificially increases pilot wages.”

We really haven’t had whole-scale adoption of 250hr First Officers here (yet)on large jets, so there wouldn’t be a lot of transport aircraft accident data available here. We have a pretty enviable safety record for such a large country, there have been many international accidents connected to inexperience in the flight deck. The regulator was very slow to enact the duty regs that were proposed about 15 years ago, they certainly aren’t a flawless organization. Having a copilot with 1-2 years commercial flying experience occupying the right seat on a A320/B737 shouldn’t seem like a big ask for the ‘travelling public’. They are certainly not a single pilot Aircraft.

I’m guessing you are against it as a lever for pilot wages in a shortage, not the idea of have experienced competent flight crew in the cockpit.
The whole notion of 250 hour pilots being unsafe is nonsense. Look at Europe, everybody goes direct to a 320 or similar airframe. On the contrary, we have AC759 in SFO which was seconds away from being the deadliest crash in aviation. The cause? Pilot fatigue. The captain was 19 hours without "significant rest" at this point.

Wages are low because people just keep taking the jobs. There are KingAir captains at 140K/year, yet people rush to Jazz for the AC carrot.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”