If only the Airline Industry was this United

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

If only the Airline Industry was this United

Post by Transition9er2 »

After having a federally regulated vaccine mandate imposed on the industry, transport truckers across Canada chose to face layoff and leave of absences rather than complying with the vaccine mandate.

Instead of crying about it they ORGANIZED and CAME TOGETHER and understood their power in numbers. THOUSANDS of truckers are now without jobs that as a result will no doubt cause significant issues and disruptions to Canadas supply chain.

They organized a rally that will take truckers from all across the country to Ottawa to send Trudeau a message in person. 7 days ago their group organized a Go Fund Me to cover costs of fuel, food and other expenses for the drivers to make this happen. Canadians have shown up BY THE THOUSANDS to support this cause, the fund is currently over $1.1 Million.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/taking-back- ... onvoy-2022

It warms my heart to see how Canadians have shown up for this cause. $1,100,000 IN 7 DAYS and climbing.

If only our airline industry could show this much courage in the face of adversity. I’ve talked to a lot of you at my airline, and many of you (pilots and cabin crew) share the same frustrations as these truckers. We missed our opportunity to make our voices heard, but maybe we can make up for it by donating or showing up in Ottawa alongside our trucking brothers and sisters.

No doubt some will disagree with this post, and that’s fine. This post isn’t up to start a debate of right or wrong.

This post is to share what courage and unity looks like.

Thanks for reading. Share the link to anyone who might contribute.
---------- ADS -----------

PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: If only the Airline Industry was this United

Post by PRM1 »

Lol Unity….

Never gonna happen.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Well a defeatist attitude will guarantee it. ;)

I was on the Hill last year along with hundreds of others, but we need more. We need to take serious action, not about vaccines but rather the restrictions and overall condition of our industry as a whole, and this is a great inspiration!

Last edited by DanWEC on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRM1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PRM1 »

Keep dreaming. As long as aviation is a passion for pilots, the companies will always find someone willing to do the job for less.

We, as a group, do and will continue to put up with anything so long as we get to fly planes. Unity will happen when machines replace us.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The irony of being combative with people who want to unite pilots is mind boggling.

I get being jaded, I really do, but we need to change our mindset one at a time and put our barriers behind us.

If you want to help, by all means join any of our groups to try and make a difference in our industry, but firing darts against the cause is counterproductive my friend.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

This is going to be awesome! Half my aviation colleagues were jumping over themselves to get these stupid vaccines and some were jizzing themselves when they got the booster jab. I got my 2 because I had to or lose my job...... I can’t wait for Jan 29th. Trudy is gonna be shitting himself when these true Canadians shut down Ottawa. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Donations are over 1.8 million now. That will buy enough diesel to make Greta blow her lid. :P

Let’s Go Brandon
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

There is a big difference between the trucking industry and the aviation industry and why the vast majority of pilots accepted the vaccine with rolled up sleeves.

Generally speaking, pilots are more educated than truckers. We are trained to think critically and are more likely to be able to understand that the collective voice of health care workers, virologists, and other related scientists are more knowledgeable and trustworthy than Tucker Carlson and a little orange man.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

I wonder who is going to provide the accounting for all that donated money.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

This is absolutely amazing! Seeing this many people come together to stand up for what they believe in is really empowering!

The fund is up over $2.5M with over 33,000 donors. Absolutely incredible! Talk about high support and engagement from everyday Canadians!

From what I read about the finances, the organizers have hired an accounting or financial management firm to manage the funds. It sounds like it’s really well organized. Several “convoys” are coming from all over the country. Each “convoy” has a route captain and each truck has to register with the captain in order to be identified as a participant. They submit receipts for fuel, food etc and sounds like they have a daily minimum meal or perdiem allowance while they travel across country.

Truly amazing!!

Imjustlurking that’s quite the statement to make, WOW!

Comments like that coming from someone who doesn't work for the airlines nor is even a pilot makes you look incredibly foolish. Talking down about someone while pretending to be someone you are not, THAT is just truly shocking!

I get this is a public forum, but I’ll call out this kind of toxic BS all day long.

Let’s be real, I’ve known and met lots of truckers who are more educated and can “critically think” circles around some pilots I know!

T.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Are They Really That United?

Post by ALPApolicy »

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Are They Really That United?

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

“The Government of Canada and the United States have now made being vaccinated a requirement to cross the border. This regulation is not changing so, as an industry, we must adapt and comply with this mandate,” said CTA president Stephen Laskowski. “The only way to cross the border, in a commercial truck or any other vehicle, is to get vaccinated.”

:lol:

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

This is gonna be big. Just started in BC and will grow as it approaches Rottawa.

Let’s Go Brandon
RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Although I am fully pro vax, and I would encourage people to get vaccinated, I fully support this movement. This is a beautiful thing to see people get together and stand up for what they think is an injustice.

And let’s be honest… The reasoning behind the vax requirement for truckers is bogus. I understand people going into an airplane, but for that poor individual doing a job that very little would do, this frustrates me.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I donated. We cant do shit as airline employees but these guys can since most own their trucks. I hope Trudeau and everyone in Ottawa goes hungry when nothing can get in or out of the city.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

RRJetPilot wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 pm I donated. We cant do shit as airline employees but these guys can since most own their trucks. I hope Trudeau and everyone in Ottawa goes hungry when nothing can get in or out of the city.
Trudeau will be fine. I’m sure he’s already planning a trip somewhere and picking out a new costume as we speak...... He could always flee the swamp next week in blackface as he’s experienced in that. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

RegionalPilot wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:25 pm And let’s be honest… The reasoning behind the vax requirement for truckers is bogus. I understand people going into an airplane, but for that poor individual doing a job that very little would do, this frustrates me.
The reasoning for mandatory Covid vaccines at every workplace is bogus. What reason did everyone’s employers give as the reason they made vaccines mandatory? To keep everyone safe and stop the spread? Vaccines failed to do that. It has all been political or financial decisions and never health decisions.

Maybe mandating for doctors and nurses makes sense? Not so fast thought! why aren’t flu vaccines mandatory for all healthcare workers?

https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3931

:rolleyes:

Looney toon world we live in now. Glad to see many have reached their limits with this shit!

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

From the Canadian Trucking Association

“The Government of Canada and the United States have now made being vaccinated a requirement to cross the border. This regulation is not changing so, as an industry, we must adapt and comply with this mandate,” said CTA president Stephen Laskowski. “The only way to cross the border, in a commercial truck or any other vehicle, is to get vaccinated.”

The US/Canadian Governments certainly won’t back down because of a convoy.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Old fella wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm From the Canadian Trucking Association

The US/Canadian Governments certainly won’t back down because of a convoy.

You may be right, but you aren't focussing on the right thing here.

Unlike aviation and just about every other sector, where significant numbers complied with the vaccine mandate with zero hesitation, the polar opposite is happening with the trucking industry. I’m hearing numbers of up to 30,000 truckers have refused to get the vaccine in Canada and have taken the “leave of absence” imposed on them by their employer. Even if this number is inflated by 50%, how much damage can a lack of 15,000 trucks removed from daily operations have on supply chain?

These truckers have significant public attention on this convoy, they have a war chest of funds available to them to hold out during an LOA and they are PISSED!

Let’s circle back to April/May 2020 shall we and discuss toilet paper. How long before things get seriously ugly?

As the famous Mr. Lahey so eloquently put it, “the sh!t barometer is rising, can you hear it Bubbs? Sh!t winds are a comin”.

Trudeau blocks this thing and it looks bad on him. He lets the convoy through and it looks bad on him. Truckers hold out and stay off the roads, it looks bad on him.

Buckle up everyone. This could get bumpy.

Return to “Covid”