IATRA Validity Exemption

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

IATRA Validity Exemption

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

"PURPOSE
The purpose of this exemption is to adopt temporary measures in the public interest to reduce the
potential of person-to-person transmission following the declaration of a pandemic outbreak of
coronavirus (COVID-19) by the World Health Organization (WHO) on March 11, 2020.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve and the closing of some non-essential businesses
and social distancing measures to contain the spread of coronavirus continue to disrupt the aviation
industry, this exemption will allow all licensing applicants who have applied for a permit, licence
or rating after March 11th, 2020 and who have successfully-completed the knowledge
requirement, to extend the knowledge requirements by 10 months.
This exemption is a reissuance under a new file number of NCR-025-2021 which expires January
31, 2022.
APPLICATION
This exemption applies only to applicants who have applied for a permit, licence or rating after
March 11th, 2020 and who have successfully-completed the knowledge requirement.
This exemption ceases to apply to a licensing applicant that does not respect a condition of this
exemption.

This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
1. The 10-month extension shall only be applied to applications for a permit, licence or
rating submitted after March 11, 2020;
2. The applicant shall have successfully met the knowledge requirement within the
34 months preceding the date of application; and
3. Applicants with outstanding applications, pursuant to the terms and conditions of this
exemption, shall comply with the CARs in all respects. The CARs shall continue to
apply in all respects other than the specific exemption set out herein, or any other
applicable exemption issued by the Minister of Transport.
VALIDITY
This exemption is in effect from February 1, 2022 to the earliest of the following:
(a) September 30, 2022, at 23:59 (EDT); or
(b) The date on which the exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister where he
is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely
affect aviation safety or security
"

I had last written the IATRA exam on May 31, 2019. Normally, the validity period is 24 months for the exam. Transport Canada had originally put out an exemption in 2021, NCR-025-2021 which extends the validity period to 34 months.

The exemption was renewed under file number NCR-068-2021 and I am curious if I qualify for the exemption? Based on my interpretation, my IATRA from May 31, 2019 is valid until March 31, 2022. Or 34 months after the date I wrote it.

I would be using this IATRA to apply for a type rating for a two crew aircraft once I complete my PPC. Any input would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, I do have exam dates setup to write prior to my PPC date just in case.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: IATRA Validity Exemption

Post by throwawaycorporate »

That's probably worth the call to TC, or even better an email to get in writing that you are still covered. It would really suck to get your PPC and then not be able to hold the type because of a knowledge requirement.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm That's probably worth the call to TC, or even better an email to get in writing that you are still covered. It would really suck to get your PPC and then not be able to hold the type because of a knowledge requirement.
Yep, I have phoned a TC officer in December and they had confirmed that I was still good under the former NCR-025. However, I am a bit of a worrier and need absolute assurance. My company knows about this and they have sided with my interpretation. I have sent out formal emails to TC officers to get their response in writing to confirm my interpretation is correct.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I have an email in to TC regarding this exact question as I wrote mine in January of 2020. 3 weeks later I have yet to get a response myself. I am on hold with them as we speak so hopefully I can get a verbal answer there. I'll report on what I find out.

JackyRhum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JackyRhum »

Why IATRA still the last theory exam without life validity ? ? ?
What about CPL IFR ATPL theory exam are they 2 years valide of course not ! ! !

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

AirDoan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm I have an email in to TC regarding this exact question as I wrote mine in January of 2020. 3 weeks later I have yet to get a response myself. I am on hold with them as we speak so hopefully I can get a verbal answer there. I'll report on what I find out.
fwiw, I received a call from TC and two different examiners saying that my IATRA is "extended" for 34months after the day i wrote the exam. I imagine your case would apply too. but, never hurts to reach out

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I tried calling but keep running out of time on hold. I did put in an email request but who knows how long that will last. In the meantime I'm just applying to single pilot jobs and hoping for the best. It's going to take a bit to write the As as I haven't been able to pause life long enough to get any real study time in. Oh well.

Return to “General Comments”