Jobs under 250 hours

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ahmedk95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jobs under 250 hours

Post by ahmedk95 »

I graduated with 230 hours, I have written and passed my IATRA exam however.

I've done my search on the forums and applied to the companies that were suggested in other threads (so far Wasaya, Air Bravo, North Star Air, SkyCare, Superior Airways, Slate Fall Airways, and Integrated Sensing & Surveillance), anybody else know of any other companies that will accept applications from new pilots with under 250 hours?

Just trying to land my first aviation job, and unfortunately I haven't had any aviation-related job before.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jobs under 250 hours

Post by itaserb »

Try Perimeter, Rise Air in SK, Tindi, Summit, Buffalo and there're couple more operators in NWT and Yukon. Most probably it's all ramp jobs.

Try searching local 703 which are operating on floats or have some seasonal flying. Your best bet is Northern MB and NW Ontario. You can call those guys and just ask. You can also open PCC(Pilot career centre) and go from top to bottom. There's TC aircraft register which might help you to check what aircraft type company is operating.

You can call local skydive companies they're probably hiring for upcoming season.

Best of luck and never give up!

Instructing might be another option if you have financial recourses and willing to study hard.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

ahmedk95 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:21 pm I graduated with 230 hours, I have written and passed my IATRA exam however.

I've done my search on the forums and applied to the companies that were suggested in other threads (so far Wasaya, Air Bravo, North Star Air, SkyCare, Superior Airways, Slate Fall Airways, and Integrated Sensing & Surveillance), anybody else know of any other companies that will accept applications from new pilots with under 250 hours?

Just trying to land my first aviation job, and unfortunately I haven't had any aviation-related job before.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
If you want to stay in a bit center, instructing it the sure thing.

Otherwise, be prepared to, call and email every company listed on PCC your expression of interest for any current or upcoming positions.

My first job took 5 months

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

It took me 8 months before I landed my first gig from CPL zero to towing gliders hero at the local gliding club. Don't give up, but at the same time, don't feel that anything is beneath you. Building hundreds of hours of tailwheel time was the best thing possible that advanced my aviation career drastically.

Jumper Dumping, Glider Towing, Minnow Pilot, Survey, Banner Towing....these are all great things. Also, take pictures along the way.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
ahmedk95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ahmedk95 »

Thank you all for the suggestion, I unfortunately cannot afford to get my instructor rating, so looks like I'll have to keep handing out resumes and hope for the best

bcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bcpilot »

Took me 4 years to get my first job, and that was with 300 hrs and quite an extensive aviation related employment history. Patience is key. Don't quit your day job.

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

bcpilot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:34 am Took me 4 years to get my first job, and that was with 300 hrs and quite an extensive aviation related employment history. Patience is key. Don't quit your day job.
Did you keep applying in 4 years? ... :( :(

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

qwe221sd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 am
bcpilot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:34 am Took me 4 years to get my first job, and that was with 300 hrs and quite an extensive aviation related employment history. Patience is key. Don't quit your day job.
Was probably focusing more on his day job

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am
qwe221sd wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 am
Was probably focusing more on his day job than applying...

bcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bcpilot »

[/quote]

Yes, but in waves. I'd send out what felt like 100 resumes, and then give it a rest for a few months hoping to hear from someone. After months of not hearing anything, I'd repeat the process. There's only so many companies in Canada.

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

I'm wondering if Instructor Rating is worth doing, as airlines plan to hire and a lot of instructors plan to move on this year/next year. Before anyone gives me flak, yes only instruct if you want to, be a good teacher, etc

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

Avi-Nation wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:48 am I'm wondering if Instructor Rating is worth doing, as airlines plan to hire and a lot of instructors plan to move on this year/next year. Before anyone gives me flak, yes only instruct if you want to, be a good teacher, etc
It does worth it. Especially if you can be hired by a school which provides Multi iFR so you can get Multi PIC. Do your instructor rating with FTU which can also hire you and treat your FT as your job interview. As it might be challenging obtaining your Class 4 in one school and getting job in another.

Keep in mind that pay is somewhere around 30-40$ and you get paid by the flight hour.

waliduss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waliduss »

Avi-Nation wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:48 am I'm wondering if Instructor Rating is worth doing, as airlines plan to hire and a lot of instructors plan to move on this year/next year. Before anyone gives me flak, yes only instruct if you want to, be a good teacher, etc
currently landing a job as a class 4 flight instructor is so hard. 8 months of active networking and aggressively applying calling etc and nothing, they will always go with a class 3.
like there's so many jobs out there for a class 3 FI, class 4 ? hope this spring it will kick back in.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Spring is coming, I would suggest a road trip to drop of resumes and shake hands with CPs. It worked for me a few years ago. I wasn't getting any interviews by emailing my resume or cold calling companies.

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:12 am Spring is coming, I would suggest a road trip to drop of resumes and shake hands with CPs. It worked for me a few years ago. I wasn't getting any interviews by emailing my resume or cold calling companies.
People still doing that? Any suggestion of direction from lets say, Edmonton? Fresh CPL lacks the options...

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Avi-Nation wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:45 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:12 am Spring is coming, I would suggest a road trip to drop of resumes and shake hands with CPs. It worked for me a few years ago. I wasn't getting any interviews by emailing my resume or cold calling companies.
People still doing that? Any suggestion of direction from lets say, Edmonton? Fresh CPL lacks the options...
Assuming you have your IATRA I would go to Yellowknife, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg if you live in Edmonton. I am from Ontario so I mainly drove through Northern Ontario and Manitoba and ended my road trip in Winnipeg. I ended up getting a job in northern Ontario.

Not sure how Covid will effect road trips as I did mine pre Covid and most CPs were willing to speak with me and take my resume.

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

I did my training in Edmonton and got my career start there.

Same boat for me, I sent resumes and realized that may never work. So I went to the local shell, got that fine mogas and started visiting places. Airborne Energy Solutions and Synergy both pipeline pilot companies in Villenueve, Cleargrid which is Edmonton and Calgary, Envirotech and Canwest out of YEG, Pinnacle and integrated of out Cooking lake. (Intergrated is red deer based so drive there.) I honestly think being in Edmonton has an advantage over other cities just bcuz of oil and gas....

Shake hands, and keep on them. Almost be annoying and you'll get something.

One big tip that worked for me is don't just go in asking for the chief pilot. The people there are your potential coworkers. Stick around and talk to a few mechanics, about anything. Bring them donuts from time to time. You will realize that it won't be your resume that gets you hired!

Good luck man, you'll be fine. See you in the skies soon :)

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

I don’t think an IATRA is valid until you have 250 hours IIRC so in that case any job on a plane that requires one won’t be available to you if you have less than 250 hours

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

I have over 250 but im undecided if I want to try instructing or multi/multi IFR first. If I do multi first I probably won't do an instructor rating. It's hard to tell when you've never done it before.

HappySkies777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HappySkies777 »

Make sure to hit 250 hrs or more to have your IATRA activated. You can't operate a two pilot/crew aircraft operating under CARs705 (airline ops) without 250 hours and IATRA written(which you passed).

I would avoid jumping the gun and getting on a 705 right away unless the said airline has a smaller airplane to upgrade on as a captain. You don't wanna be FO forever.

Cheers and good luck!

Return to “Employment Forum”