Sault Aviation tries to silent Student with intimidation after exposing possible misappropriation of government funding

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Saultflightguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sault Aviation tries to silent Student with intimidation after exposing possible misappropriation of government funding

Post by Saultflightguy »

Its no secret the ongoing issues in the Sault aviation program have run long and deep for a very long time.
Seems this current student has had enough and posted (2) YouTube videos of his struggles with the program.

The second video is in direct response to the school after receiving an intimidating letter from the Chair of the program.
https://youtu.be/RO1MsaBDWRY Second video
https://youtu.be/7MxV83ui3Wk First Video

The program is in part government funded per student. The school receives approx over $80,000 from the Ontario Government/Tax payers whether the student finishes or not . This from a letter/Email shown in the video from The Ministry of Colleges and Universities the student received. The more students, the more money. This may be the reason over the years students have consistently complained the program is over crowded and unable to complete their flight training in time, or even at all. So many have just left empty handed out of frustration and s exhausting their education savings. Imagine being there for 3 years and NOT having your commercial completed, Multi or multi IFR. Currently there are students in the program that have been there for a full 4 years do not have their Multi. Their simulators have been offline for well over a month now!

Saults local paper, SooToday, reviled in article students were as much as 18 months behind at one point.

“The flying was so out of sync with the academics in school. The flying was 18 months behind for some kids. The flying was so inconsistent, kids are waiting up to three months between flights for the class of 2020,” said Caron, who said her daughter withdrew from the program and got her private licence in Quebec, despite a heavy student debt load."

Here is the real issue, is the school intentional setting up the students to fail from overcrowding? What really happens to the government funding if it is NOT used on flight training for a student?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Saultflightguy on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Sault Aviation tries to silent Student with intimidation after exposing possible misappropriation of government fund

Post by FL030 »

They way it worked when I was there is they intentionally took in more students than they could handle with the knowledge that many would fail out before the flying started, or shortly after. If anyone failed any academic subject or check ride they were gone. I don't know who did it, but someone apparently decided this wasn't fair and let everyone stay in the program. The result was that there weren't enough airplanes for all these students to complete their flight training in a timely manner, and now the school is failing. In summary, get woke go broke.

Saultflightguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sault Aviation tries to silent Student with intimidation after exposing possible misappropriation of government fund

Post by Saultflightguy »

I believe at one point there were so many students failing check rides, and or tests, they did decide to keep some instead of resetting. Inconsistent flight training will do that. So what did upper management do the following year, knowing they had to many students. Well, they decided to take in well above normal number of 1st years students $$$$ that spring, just adding to the problems. That year some kids were only flying once every 3-5 weeks at times. There are many posts on this site as well others of students just given up on their dreams.

Resetting for those who do not know is when you fail something in flight or academic. The school tell you to come back the following year, or repeat complete sections/semester of your training.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Nothing like watching someone who's got nothing to lose!

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Saultflightguy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:58 am I believe at one point there were so many students failing check rides, and or tests, they did decide to keep some
That is incorrect.

I had front row seats to the beginning of all this and in short the current state of the place can trace its origin back a decision to show some compassion towards unsuccessful students. It was a good idea and I think I support it but it never seemed to have been thought all the way through. Sounds like the school has an expensive hole to dig themselves out of now.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Brutal sounding. Just brutal.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

"The college found I was not fit to fly because I got nauseous during one flight".

What??

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar

I bet the student was a bit of a tough customer to the college. Always two sides to a story. No doubt the college has some issues, I’m just curious how much ownership the student takes in his responsibility to be successful. Is this 100 percent the college to blame here?

When I was doing my initial training I showed up an hour before my booking time to make sure I was ready to depart in my time slot. Planes sitting on the ramp don’t make money. The dispatcher asked why I show up so early and I said I just show up on time. Lots of others students would book the plane and show up while the plane is already on the ground and it would sit for half hour while they check the weather etc.

I don’t know, I just thought it was respectful to make the operation efficient. Why do I need a plane on the ground while I start my preflight preparation.

Sometimes I hear lots of grumbling about crap instructors or crappy schools and I just wonder if these were people who showed up an hour before departure or at departure time. Or were they entitled vinegar? Sounds like in this case lots to be said about the college itself. Even if that’s the case and things are stacked against you sometimes you have to bite your lip and grind through. Certainly you want to be able to reflect on this in the future and at least know you did all you could to be successful and graduate.

Last edited by WellThatAgedWell on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

+1 for what WellThatAgedWell said. Add on top of that throwing in discrimination/racism and he's not going to be a popular student if it's unfounded. If he had a legitimate beef, he could go to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities and open a case. They take those allegations very seriously.

Flyboy2019
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyboy2019 »

Its about time a student took a stand about this!!
Yes a student is in part responsible. HOWEVER when you pay for a service, you expect to receive it as outlined.
This is a college issues as there has been so many that have posted all saying the same thing!
Read these past thread, it is rather shocking of what us students had to put up with.
When 8/10 students are all saying the same thing..its NOT the students...it's the program!

viewtopic.php?p=1103692#p1103692

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

8/10 students would have previously failed out of the program. Now they get to stay.

worstpilotincanada
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by worstpilotincanada »

That is incorrect. For example, the Class of 2022 started with 110 students and there are now only 24 remaining. The problems at Sault College have to do with braindead management who are usually not even at the airport and have no clue of the ground realities.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Looking for a new CFI now, I note.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”