Trenton Military Terminal Area

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

highupabove
Rank 0
Rank 0

Trenton Military Terminal Area

Post by highupabove »

I was looking at making a flight from Kingston to Toronto, and noticed that there is a huge Military Terminal Area surrounding Trenton.

How do I navigate that airspace? Says its class E, but I’m always a bit worried when it says military.

Can I fly through as long as I stay clear of the controlled airspace around Trenton?
---------- ADS -----------

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Trenton Military Terminal Area

Post by FL_CH »

You can fly through no problem, just call Trenton Terminal for flight following to be safe. Overflown Trenton many times including directly overhead.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

highupabove wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:51 pm I was looking at making a flight from Kingston to Toronto, and noticed that there is a huge Military Terminal Area surrounding Trenton.

How do I navigate that airspace? Says its class E, but I’m always a bit worried when it says military.

Can I fly through as long as I stay clear of the controlled airspace around Trenton?
It’s really not that big an area.

Provided the field isn’t in use, you may get to overfly the base. Or you will offered either the consecon route or Cambellford route. Which take you south or North respectively of their restricted airspace.

Easy peasy.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

The Trenton Terminal Controllers are great. In the last couple of weeks, I've even practiced simulated approaches there. Just don't descent below 200 feet AGL over the field!

No problems getting through the Terminal airspace or even the Control Zone for that matter.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

There isn't actually any restricted airspace within the Class D Control Zone. Simply make radio contact with the tower or terminal controller and you may proceed.

It really is no problem however, they have no issue with you flying through.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Of course they have more than the average controller’s ordnance at their disposal to sanction you if you bust a regulation…

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
highupabove
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by highupabove »

Thanks everyone!

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

Review the CYTR info in the Canada Flight Supp. It should include info on the two VFR routes through the MTCA.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Decades back I was ferrying a 172 home from Quebec for a friend. The seller told me to fly through Trenton's airspace purposefully on the way home - Okay, 'can do... (It turned out that he had been a controller there, and had called ahead, they knew I was coming...

So it's pitch dark, but a beautifully clear night, 'see forever... I clear in, warm hello, cleared through direct (not asked to follow one of the routes). So, I'm just putting along westbound. I'm starting to have that hairs on the back of my neck feeling, and call to ask if there are any other aircraft near me. "Yes, there are, they have you in sight." I very faintly make out three Hercules overtaking me on the right with their lights out. I suspect that I was their practice target, but no one ever said.

I have had amply nice service from Trenton controllers over the years, including a couple of practice PAR approaches, for the controller's training, I was told, after accepting. If you are ever truly stuck VFR on top, where you should not be, and cannot fly an approach, fly to Trenton, and ask for a PAR approach. You may [will] have to 'splain later, but they'll get you down safely!

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Hey. I flew that route many times on the Dash 8, although it was all IFR. After take-off Kingston radio will switch you over to Trenton Terminal and they'll eventually hand you over to Toronto Centre. I don't think I was ever with them for more than 5 - 10 minutes. It's been a few years since I've done that though. I miss it!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:08 pm If you are ever truly stuck VFR on top, where you should not be, and cannot fly an approach, fly to Trenton, and ask for a PAR approach. You may [will] have to 'splain later, but they'll get you down safely!
You're showing your age! Sadly, the PAR approach was withdrawn a few years ago.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”