Closing the COVID thread.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.

Are you in favour of closing the COVID thread?

Yes. COVID is over.
88%
No. I like to argue senselessly.
12%

Total votes: 34

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Closing the COVID thread.

Post by CpnCrunch »

Index wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:32 am
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:58 am
Index wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:56 am

Oh yea? Because you're always right huh? Guess that's why you never answered my last post in the trucker convoy... you probably thought you're too good and smart to answer my probably stupid (in your mind), yet simple question... :rolleyes:
You asked "Will you still be wearing a mask once mask mandates get dropped everywhere?" and the answer is no to that. I didn't feel it was worth answering. Your problem is that you assume that everyone is a pro masker+convoy or anti masker+convoy. That's not how it works.
Why are you assuming that I automatically assume someone leans one way or the other? See this is the problem, people just automatically assume things without even knowing who they're talking to, aka resembling the "I'm always right mentality"... So thanks for proving my point
Yes, you're right, I shouldn't have assumed.
---------- ADS -----------

Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

Bingo Fuel wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:28 am I've seen data that says otherwise, and I choose to believe that data. I will not waste your time by showing it to you, because even if you read it, you will not believe it.

You keep on believing whatever you want.

Inevitably, mandates will end, and you can go around proclaiming you've won against the evil fascists, or whatever narrative you want to construct.

In the meantime, I'm finally off furlough, so I've got work to do.

Carry on with your sh*tposting, Montado.
I don't know what data you're reading

Hospitals have been over 100% capacity prior to covid, and was always in shambles, covid just proved how bad hospitals were here.. google icu full 20xx (whatever year you'd like pre covid) and you'll find tons of articles

Also, boosters don't do anything in terms of hospitalization... you're protection from hospitalization is almost the same with 2 doses, even 6 months after your second dose, and likely even farther beyond that, but more data is still needed since we have barely one year since the world started getting jabbed. Secondly, even the likes of WHO have said boosters aren't needed for young, healthy adults...

Here's 2 studies regarding boosters, one even funded by pfizer, which states the percentages of efficacy in terms of infection and hospitalization... the second comes from sweden; they include efficacy percentage for infection, not for chance of hospitalization, but do state that you're likely well protected even up to 9 months. ALSO, here's the caveat, these studies were primarily based on delta, which, was a deadlier variant then omicron

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 7/fulltext

and here's 2 other articles, one which has the WHO saying boosters aren't needed...

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/18/who ... sters.html

https://nationalpost.com/health/who-nee ... 9d7a3/amp/

I don't care what you or anybody else does in their personal life at the end of the day... if you want to get 12 booster shots, be my guest.

But, the biggest problem is the fact that those who so blindly follow main stream media and everything they say, completely forget how to use rationale, and to even search for things the contradict the mainstream... it's called CRITICAL THINKING, just because one data set says one thing, doesn't mean it's correct, there are MANY studies which contradict one another, and they come up with different numbers...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

*starts a thread to close all COVID threads*

*amount of COVID threads increased by 1*

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Index wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm

and here's 2 other articles, one which has the WHO saying boosters aren't needed...

Did you even bother spending 2 seconds reading those articles? Even the title of the first article contradicts what you say...

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Did you even bother spending 2 seconds reading those articles? Even the title of the first article contradicts what you say...
Does this surprise you? Conservatives can’t stop spreading bullshit.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

Index wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm Here's 2 studies regarding boosters, one even funded by pfizer, which states the percentages of efficacy in terms of infection and hospitalization... the second comes from sweden; they include efficacy percentage for infection, not for chance of hospitalization, but do state that you're likely well protected even up to 9 months. ALSO, here's the caveat, these studies were primarily based on delta, which, was a deadlier variant then omicron
If you'll read my other post, you'll find that I was quite willing to be done with mandates last fall, while Delta was the dominant variant.

I am not going to compare my confirmation bias against yours. It's a waste of my time and yours.

Everyone I care about has a booster. Time to open up. Wear a mask if you want to, or don't. I don't care what you do.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Does this surprise you? Conservatives can’t stop spreading bullshit.
Yikes... did you people even read what I said?

Secondly, even the likes of WHO have said boosters aren't needed for young, healthy adults...

OK, where I quoted the 2 articles, I should have said "and here's 2 other articles, one which has the WHO saying boosters aren't needed (and then added FOR YOUNG, HEALTHY ADULTS), like I did in the previous paragraph...

keep reading the bullshit between the lines that only aligns with your views, that seems to get you very far... but it's ok,you continue to prove my theory is correct, that people like you always think you're right...

but in case you didn't read the articles, let me quote them for you

CNBC article - Jan 18,2022

"KEY POINTS"

"WHO Chief Scientist Dr. Soumya Swaminathan said Tuesday "there's no evidence right now" that suggests healthy children and adolescents need booster shots to supplement their Covid-19 vaccinations."

"There's "no evidence right now" that suggests healthy children and adolescents need booster shots to supplement their Covid-19 vaccinations, World Health Organization Chief Scientist Dr. Soumya Swaminathan said Tuesday."

the national post article is differing of opinions from doctors whether or not a booster is needed. Lots claim it helps, which I have never disagreed with, but they are also claiming that whether you need one or not is a different story

"Russell believes everyone benefits from a third shot. “Definitely. No doubt.” Whether everyone needs one is a different question. Here’s what we know about COVID-19 booster shots."

"But are we focusing too much on boosters? “The question is, what do we want from this vaccine,” Dr. Paul Offit, an FDA advisor and director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia said in a recent Medpage Today video. Two doses still protect against serious illness across all ages, he said. “If that’s the goal, we’ve reached it.”

"In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends Pfizer boosters for everyone aged 12 and older, five months after their second dose. But Offit told the Atlantic that boosters would not be worth the risk of myocarditis for the average healthy 17-year-old boy. He’s recommending his own 20-something son not get a third dose."

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:50 am

Yes, you said "and here's 2 other articles, one which has the WHO saying boosters aren't needed..." but the article didn't say that, it was talking about young healthy adults. And if you look at the rest of the data it's pretty clear that boosters do significantly reduce hospitalization and deaths for older people. So I'm not sure what your point is in cherry picking data to make it look like boosters aren't needed, when they are. And wtf does this have to do with closing the covid thread anyway?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

As of today only 48% of eligible Canadians have got the booster shot. Everyone could have had it by now. Why isn’t everyone lining up for the jab? :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:09 am
Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:50 am

Yes, you said "and here's 2 other articles, one which has the WHO saying boosters aren't needed..." but the article didn't say that, it was talking about young healthy adults. And if you look at the rest of the data it's pretty clear that boosters do significantly reduce hospitalization and deaths for older people. So I'm not sure what your point is in cherry picking data to make it look like boosters aren't needed, when they are. And wtf does this have to do with closing the covid thread anyway?
yea and in my last post I clearly said I should have stated that at the end I should've wrote "for young healthy adults", even though in my previous paragraph of that post, that's what I stated, and so it should've more or less been implied... but like I said, you like to cherry pick things and then make others look bad...

Yea, by all means, if someone is over 75, go get a booster...otherwise, leave everyone else alone, close all covid threads, and let's move on, it's over...

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 am

Yea, by all means, if someone is over 75, go get a booster...otherwise, leave everyone else alone, close all covid threads, and let's move on, it's over...
Where does the over 75 come from?

Index
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Index »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:31 am
Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 am

Where does the over 75 come from?

I only posted that yesterday, but you know, maybe read the study.. but like, actually read it... there's graphs and data on there clearly showing that 2 doses provides excellent protection against hospitalization even after 7 months for age groups 18-64, it's almost identical protection against hospitalization as having your booster... after 65 is where the booster becomes increasingly useful, and after 75 even more so...hence why I said if you're over 75, a booster will definitely help

I provided you enough data, it's not garble, and it's funded directly by pfizer

what more do you want?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 am

I only posted that yesterday, but you know, maybe read the study.. but like, actually read it... there's graphs and data on there clearly showing that 2 doses provides excellent protection against hospitalization even after 7 months for age groups 18-64, it's almost identical protection against hospitalization as having your booster... after 65 is where the booster becomes increasingly useful, and after 75 even more so...hence why I said if you're over 75, a booster will definitely help

what more do you want?
No, you're misinterpreting the data. Even then conclusion contradicts what you are saying:

"The public health impact of a third dose to prevent severe disease is substantial. We estimated that the rate of hospital admission among all adults aged 18 years and older at least 6 months after their second dose was 154 per 100,000 person-years, and that for those with 3 doses was 52 per 100,000 person-years."

The data you are quoting is comparing vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization (VE) *immediately* after 2nd or 3rd dose, which as you say doesn't differ much. But the study also shows that VE wanes significantly after 6 months, and a booster shot restores VE. So yes a booster is definitely needed for adults under 75 to reduce hospitalisations.

It should be noted that this study was pre-omicron. There is further data for omicron, which I'm sure you'll likely cherrypick and misinterpret as well.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:58 am
Index wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:08 am

what more do you want?
No, you're misinterpreting the data. Even then conclusion contradicts what you are saying:

"The public health impact of a third dose to prevent severe disease is substantial. We estimated that the rate of hospital admission among all adults aged 18 years and older at least 6 months after their second dose was 154 per 100,000 person-years, and that for those with 3 doses was 52 per 100,000 person-years."

The data you are quoting is comparing vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization (VE) *immediately* after 2nd or 3rd dose, which as you say doesn't differ much. But the study also shows that VE wanes significantly after 6 months, and a booster shot restores VE. So yes a booster is definitely needed for adults under 75 to reduce hospitalisations.

It should be noted that this study was pre-omicron. There is further data for omicron, which I'm sure you'll likely cherrypick and misinterpret as well.
Stumbled upon this wonderful quote the other day:

"He used statistics like a drunk uses lamp posts, for support rather than illumination."

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Ottawa Chief of Police resigns.

I couldn't do that job this past month.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Fun fact:

Covid never existed (in Mexico).

Bonus point: Know why?

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

ReserveTank wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:28 pm Fun fact:

Because they don't watch CNN.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

News flash!

"Ram Ranch" has made it into the Spotify top 500 downloads!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

digits_ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:26 pm *starts a thread to close all COVID threads*

*amount of COVID threads increased by 1*
And the ad revenue keeps pouring in to AvCanada...

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

piperdriver wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:37 pm
ReserveTank wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:28 pm Fun fact:

Because they don't watch CNN.
Heheh, well that and probably something else.

They have had not one restriction, barrier to entry, or requirement to test since this whole thing started. Easy to transit thru.

Return to “Covid”