Where in CARs does it address ATO instructor requirements? Is an AME mandatory?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

You_Can_Call_Me_Ray
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where in CARs does it address ATO instructor requirements? Is an AME mandatory?

Post by You_Can_Call_Me_Ray »

Wondering if it's an actual regulatory requirement that maintenance instructors at an ATO (Approved training Organization) possess an AME license?

Coming out of the military doing ten years of depot level maintenance along with having adult teaching experience, I want to know if it's a requirement so I can get onto getting it.

Would like to get into teaching.
---------- ADS -----------

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Where in CARs does it address ATO instructor requirements? Is an AME mandatory?

Post by PitchLink »

You_Can_Call_Me_Ray wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:00 pm Wondering if it's an actual regulatory requirement that maintenance instructors at an ATO (Approved training Organization) possess an AME license?

Coming out of the military doing ten years of depot level maintenance along with having adult teaching experience, I want to know if it's a requirement so I can get onto getting it.

It depends on the ATO. I do know people that are instructing and the the most important of the prerequisites were for those colleges an AME licensed. Not only was the license a requirement but also TCCA approved type courses on engine and airframe variants and X time on each type. I have no clue what “depot level maintenance” is but I think your best bet would be to review CAR566 and see if you can get an AME license through a local AMO and be accredited your military time. I’m a bit hazy in 566 but I think the experience transfer has several caveats and depends on each individual’s level of military experience. Don’t know if you’ll be able to get full accreditation of time or six months specialty??
I’ve worked with ex military technicians and each one had a different story about their license endeavour but each sounded like a PITA!
Hope I’ve somewhat steered you in the right direction, I do think you’ll need an AME license however…

You_Can_Call_Me_Ray
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Where in CARs does it address ATO instructor requirements? Is an AME mandatory?

Post by You_Can_Call_Me_Ray »

Well I have been reading through the CARs for days now and cannot find anywhere that any qualification requirements of any kind for instructors at an ATO are mentioned.

Evidently an ATO can hire whomever it wants for these positions and establish their own requirements for hiring (including requiring an AME), but there appears to be no legal regulatory bar against hiring an instructer without an AME. From what I've been able to find, an ATO could hire a circus juggler for the job if they want.

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

CARS does not have a requirement for instructors at an ATO.

The training facility itself will look for instructors with industry experience, and usually specify an AME license. You could always argue your experience level.

For those that aren't aware, 'Depot Level Maintenance' in the military is 'heavy maintenance'. Complete teardowns and rebuilds.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

You_Can_Call_Me_Ray wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:05 pm Well I have been reading through the CARs for days now and cannot find anywhere that any qualification requirements of any kind for instructors at an ATO are mentioned.

Evidently an ATO can hire whomever it wants for these positions and establish their own requirements for hiring (including requiring an AME), but there appears to be no legal regulatory bar against hiring an instructer without an AME. From what I've been able to find, an ATO could hire a circus juggler for the job if they want.
They can but they won’t from what I’ve seen. As you’ve indicated there’s no cars requirements (it would be in 566, I’d have to confirm). Institutions that have ATO’s generally want a licensed AME as I’ve seen from colleagues that are instructors as well as the job postings I’ve seen over the years. I think AME knowledge is what these schools generally want as there is a sizeable difference between military maintenance and civilian. I’m sure you could apply at these ato’s but I think the lack of a license will be a problem.

InclinePlane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by InclinePlane »

CARs 566.10 (2) ( c)
… licensed in aircraft maintenance or having experience in the applicable specialty in order to meet the curriculum delivery requirements …

CARs 726.10 (iii) - Elementary Work
…an air operator can authorize any person to perform elementary work provided that person has been trained to perform the specific task and has completed the task at least once under the supervision of the holder of an AME licence or an organization holding an Approved Training Organization's certificate issued …

Airworthiness Notice - C012
Aircraft Maintenance Training Programs for Approved Maintenance Organizations
Instructor Qualifications
… should hold both technical credentials for their area of expertise, and qualifications in instructional techniques … where an instructor is responsible for the delivery of a complete maintenance course to support rating privilege, the individual should be the holder of an AME licence, or hold equivalent credentials in that rating …

When hiring, the ATO (or AMO) will need to meet the requirements stated in their TCM (or MCM)

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

InclinePlane wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:04 pm CARs 566.10 (2) ( c)
… licensed in aircraft maintenance or having experience in the applicable specialty in order to meet the curriculum delivery requirements …

CARs 726.10 (iii) - Elementary Work
…an air operator can authorize any person to perform elementary work provided that person has been trained to perform the specific task and has completed the task at least once under the supervision of the holder of an AME licence or an organization holding an Approved Training Organization's certificate issued …

Airworthiness Notice - C012
Aircraft Maintenance Training Programs for Approved Maintenance Organizations
Instructor Qualifications
… should hold both technical credentials for their area of expertise, and qualifications in instructional techniques … where an instructor is responsible for the delivery of a complete maintenance course to support rating privilege, the individual should be the holder of an AME licence, or hold equivalent credentials in that rating …

When hiring, the ATO (or AMO) will need to meet the requirements stated in their TCM (or MCM)
TCM’s require an AME license from what I’ve seen. Good excerpts from the cars

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I had an ex military instructor in college, he did have his AME license tho.

Vickers vanguard
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Vickers vanguard »

An AME license is definitely not required for the position of an instructor at the ATO. Who is the clown who came up with that ? You should see the ignorance of the clowns who write these requirements....specifically at the large organizations, there plenty of copy and paste. Please post the company’s name in here, I would love to know.

OT3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OT3 »

You_Can_Call_Me_Ray wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:00 pm Wondering if it's an actual regulatory requirement that maintenance instructors at an ATO (Approved training Organization) possess an AME license?

Like someone posted above, In CARs 566 Division II, there's a mention of having either a license or "... having experience in the applicable specialty in order to meet the curriculum delivery requirements of ..."

So, in my experience with TC, this means they are going to insist on one, or evidence to reinforce the instructors expertise in some other skill that they are teaching. Otherwise they could possibly not approve your ATO's policy manual. It could come down to just the relationship of the ATO with their principle inspector. And what role you would be doing in that ATO. For example, TC might have issues if you were teaching the advanced Airframe courses without an AME license, but they might be fine with you teaching Standard Practices.

It's been a while since I talked with any ex-military techs about getting their civilians licenses. When I was coming up, it was very hard to get any sort of recognition for experience while in the military. I think that was to do with the aircraft being operated outside of civilian airworthiness standards and that a lot of techs in the military specialize, and lack more generalized experience with all aircraft systems.

Return to “Maintenance”