Helicopters 2022 season….

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Helicopters 2022 season….

Post by PitchLink »

How’s things looking for everyone in vertical flight land right now? Getting calls from word of mouth contacts a little earlier this season. Sounds like there’s a lack of AMEs and pilots??

Is tourism back up? Drill jobs and hydro work in northern Quebec picking up I hear. Ontario is Ontario, Alberta very strange at the moment…. Would love to hear some feedback
---------- ADS -----------

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Helicopters 2022 season….

Post by SeptRepair »

Same as every year. On the west coast, operators sitting around with the latest issue of the farmers almanac trying to predict if June will be wet and therefore no fire season. But on the plus side, of all the logging outfits are currently busy, with one of the major loggers, trying to bring another bus online but having a hell of a time finding experienced maintenance crew. Other companies I know of are having difficulty attracting good talent. They have been upping their day rates after they have lost good guys leaving for better money. So it’s a workers market right now. Last year I was flat out through the summer and had too many days away. This summer I plan on staying on my shifts and not taking extra work. A few of my buddies are still burnt out from last year and are saying the same. Only going to get worse for experienced guys.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

SeptRepair wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:50 am Same as every year. On the west coast, operators sitting around with the latest issue of the farmers almanac trying to predict if June will be wet and therefore no fire season. But on the plus side, of all the logging outfits are currently busy, with one of the major loggers, trying to bring another bus online but having a hell of a time finding experienced maintenance crew. Other companies I know of are having difficulty attracting good talent. They have been upping their day rates after they have lost good guys leaving for better money. So it’s a workers market right now. Last year I was flat out through the summer and had too many days away. This summer I plan on staying on my shifts and not taking extra work. A few of my buddies are still burnt out from last year and are saying the same. Only going to get worse for experienced guys.
I hear that, I’m getting lots of offers this year and I am not even looking… life’s too short to be gone all summer imo.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:40 pm
SeptRepair wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:50 am Same as every year. On the west coast, operators sitting around with the latest issue of the farmers almanac trying to predict if June will be wet and therefore no fire season. But on the plus side, of all the logging outfits are currently busy, with one of the major loggers, trying to bring another bus online but having a hell of a time finding experienced maintenance crew. Other companies I know of are having difficulty attracting good talent. They have been upping their day rates after they have lost good guys leaving for better money. So it’s a workers market right now. Last year I was flat out through the summer and had too many days away. This summer I plan on staying on my shifts and not taking extra work. A few of my buddies are still burnt out from last year and are saying the same. Only going to get worse for experienced guys.
I hear that, I’m getting lots of offers this year and I am not even looking… life’s too short to be gone all summer imo.
Don’t do it… I’ve been getting emails and calls from company’s from years past too. Not worth it

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Well boys, getting worse out there finding talent. Waving wads of money to get guys to come work still isn't working. Think it is only going to get worse as the summer progresses.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:56 am Well boys, getting worse out there finding talent. Waving wads of money to get guys to come work still isn't working. Think it is only going to get worse as the summer progresses.
The wads aren’t big enough…. The actual skilled guys have work outside Canada. I haven’t applied for a single operator in Canada in years, just get the same group of varying emails this time of year looking for help. I tell them my rate and they usually scoff (but not always). I sincerely hope this shortage of skilled personnel positively influences the industry. There’s only so many first year and low hour guys you can run things on for so long…

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

SeptRepair wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:56 am Well boys, getting worse out there finding talent. Waving wads of money to get guys to come work still isn't working. Think it is only going to get worse as the summer progresses.
Define “wads of money”. In my experience Canada is the lowest pay going these days. Just like Bug stomper was saying, the wads aren’t big enough for the amount of increased BS.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:38 am
Define “wads of money”. In my experience Canada is the lowest pay going these days. Just like Bug stomper was saying, the wads aren’t big enough for the amount of increased BS.
5-10% more than 10 years ago. Look on indeed for the wage spread it’s hilarious. Operators are pulling a fast one by listing wages between $25-$60/hr. It’s just click bait. Ya they may be waving “wads of money” that doesn’t mean anyone is going to get it. Still no mentions of flight pay hardly at all….

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Any updates?

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Nothing really to update. Still running short handed. Have a candidate who might come on board, but he needs to finish his commitments to his other job first. Fear is his current employer might catch wind and offer more money to keep him. It only really fills one spot, as we have openings for two. Time will tell.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:04 am Nothing really to update. Still running short handed. Have a candidate who might come on board, but he needs to finish his commitments to his other job first. Fear is his current employer might catch wind and offer more money to keep him. It only really fills one spot, as we have openings for two. Time will tell.
Everyone is hesitant to make any moves in Canada right now it seems… too many people have been burned (myself included). Lots of companies are looking but fall is always just around the corner, and we all know that.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:28 am
SeptRepair wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:04 am Nothing really to update. Still running short handed. Have a candidate who might come on board, but he needs to finish his commitments to his other job first. Fear is his current employer might catch wind and offer more money to keep him. It only really fills one spot, as we have openings for two. Time will tell.
Everyone is hesitant to make any moves in Canada right now it seems… too many people have been burned (myself included). Lots of companies are looking but fall is always just around the corner, and we all know that.
+1, contract only thanks

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

PitchLink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 am +1, contract only thanks

Contract is the only way to go!!
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:28 am Everyone is hesitant to make any moves in Canada right now it seems… too many people have been burned (myself included). Lots of companies are looking but fall is always just around the corner, and we all know that.
Yes, for far too many years companies like to cut you free without warning at the first sign of a slow down. Loyalty means nothing anymore to an employer. The devotion that you gave and the sacrifices made are meaningless. The sentiment now is take as much as you can from the company and at the first chance when something better comes along, take it and dont worry about burning that bridge. The situation is becoming so precarious with a labour shortage that companies ironically have to try not burn a bridge with you and be willing to take you back if you choose to give them your time in the future! Legitimizes being a contactor.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

SeptRepair wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 pm
PitchLink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 am +1, contract only thanks

Contract is the only way to go!!
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:28 am Everyone is hesitant to make any moves in Canada right now it seems… too many people have been burned (myself included). Lots of companies are looking but fall is always just around the corner, and we all know that.
Yes, for far too many years companies like to cut you free without warning at the first sign of a slow down. Loyalty means nothing anymore to an employer. The devotion that you gave and the sacrifices made are meaningless. The sentiment now is take as much as you can from the company and at the first chance when something better comes along, take it and dont worry about burning that bridge. The situation is becoming so precarious with a labour shortage that companies ironically have to try not burn a bridge with you and be willing to take you back if you choose to give them your time in the future! Legitimizes being a contactor.
Hit the mail right on the head, it’s a pretty disgusting situation and it’s not any one person, or companies fault. There’s not enough work and too many helicopters, but never enough for fire and tour season. There’s a reason so many are getting out of it… this situation has been worsening for over ten years now (closer to 15). I don’t have a solution but I know I like many others have to protect myself from being screwed around….. the states is night and day from here unfortunately, when I mention day rates and 16 hours they all cringe. I could write a novel on the crap I’ve had dealt to me in Canada. States side they’re just happy to have me and legitimately appreciate what I do when I work. It’s sad that I have to read Canadian operators the riot act before I sign on for contract work and I ALWAYS pass it through my companies lawyer before I sign on. I’m definitely not the only one and I will NEVER work full time in helicopters in Canada EVER again.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

How do i get a US work visa?
Contract is tough, but at least you can hammer out the details at the start of the season.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:26 pm How do i get a US work visa?
Contract is tough, but at least you can hammer out the details at the start of the season.
You have to be endorsed by the customer (employer) it’s a few month process

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Not a hard endeavour, most of these companies know the ropes, just apply somewhere that looks like what you want.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

It’s a weird situation right now, like someone said in this thread everyone is hiring and everyone is short handed in Canada. I don’t see anything changing any time soon tbh, there’s too many mouths to feed and the work is too sporadic

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

PitchLink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm
Not a hard endeavour, most of these companies know the ropes, just apply somewhere that looks like what you want.

What visa are US companies getting for Canadian pilots? Please name the visa and its work privileges. Working in the US for a canadian company is possible, but i wanna work for a US company.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm
PitchLink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm

What visa are US companies getting for Canadian pilots? Please name the visa and its work privileges. Working in the US for a canadian company is possible, but i wanna work for a US company.
Man it varies, the flying part you will need an FAA license. I mostly wrench in the states

Return to “Helicopter Forum”