Is Confederation College the right choice for me?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Flyinghorologist
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is Confederation College the right choice for me?

Post by Flyinghorologist »

Hi all,

New member here. I have been accepted into the 2022 class at Confederation College for September. In terms of my background I am a 24 year old male who has completed an university degree as well as attended a year of medical school. I dropped out of medical school the previous year as I decided that I will pursue my lifelong dream of becoming an airline pilot. Although I have no previous flying background, both my uncle and cousin were combat pilots. I am from Nova Scotia but have resided in Ontario for the last 7 months. The reasons why I am leaning towards going to Confederation vs a flight school is that I would be able to access student loans, grants, and scholarships. I do not have infinite funds and neither do my parents who support me as much as they can. In preparation for Confederation, I have read through cover to cover "From the Ground Up" and have spent a decent amount of time on Microsoft Flight Sim. Additionally, I plan to take a couple flying lessons come spring just to get an early taste (I have only flown in a single engine when I went skydiving). Ideally, I would like to get a good education, not go into heavy debt, have the skills and qualifications to make me competitive for a FO position, and start flying professionally as fast as possible. At this point in my life, I do not really care about "the college/university experience" as I have been there and done that, I just want to take care of business and get my dream career started.

My question(s) is/are:

1. In consideration of my current situation, would YOU go to Confed or private flight school?
2. Is the aviation program actually 2.5 years at Confed as listed on their website? I read that it was really 18 months. I also have possible university transfer credits? (electives, college writing).
3. How quality is the program at Confed?
4. Will the Canadian job market have bounced back by my graduation in 18 months in terms of airlines?
5. What are some other things I could do between now and September to prepare for the program?
6. How prepared and qualified will I be to fly for an airplane come graduation?

It would be great to hear from some graduated students or anybody that has insight.

Thank you in advance,
JPS
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Is Confederation College the right choice for me?

Post by Bede »

Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 1. In consideration of my current situation, would YOU go to Confed or private flight school?
A CPL will run you around $55k privately. Figure out how much Con will cost you including living expenses in TBay. The other consideration is that you can get done in a year privately if you're very motivated. One year sooner is one year less living expenses, gaining seniority, etc. Personally I'd go private since you already have post secondary.
Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 2. Is the aviation program actually 2.5 years at Confed as listed on their website? I read that it was really 18 months. I also have possible university transfer credits? (electives, college writing).
Depends how backed up they are. The college programs have a terrible reputation of finishing pilots off long after their program is done.
Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 3. How quality is the program at Confed?
It's pretty good. Could be better IMO, but good enough.
Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 4. Will the Canadian job market have bounced back by my graduation in 18 months in terms of airlines?
It already has. All regionals are hiring. See job ads on this site. Who knows though, things could crash between now and then.
Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 5. What are some other things I could do between now and September to prepare for the program?
Get your medical, do your ground school. (See my website freepilotgroundschool.ca). Maybe get a bit of flying lessons in if you have the money.
Flyinghorologist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am 6. How prepared and qualified will I be to fly for an airplane come graduation?
You will be prepared and qualified. It will be an entry level position though so you can read all about that on this forum.

Good luck.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

I agree with Bede.

2. It is five terms, two full academic years (excluding ground school, instrument ground school, etc it was pretty much a joke - grade 12 and maybe a little into year one university level) plus the summer term in between which was pretty much only time building. When you hit the magical number you finish. Lots of students were done early to mid-August and had 2-4 weeks off before the second winter term began in my class.

Private can be much quicker, especially over the winter if you go where the weather is good (ie Manitoba, Saskatchewan). If you start soon, it should be relatively easy to be ready to start working in the spring of 2023 (compared to just getting your PPL).

Flyinghorologist
Rank 0
Rank 0

TailwheelPilot wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:07 pm I agree with Bede.

2. It is five terms, two full academic years (excluding ground school, instrument ground school, etc it was pretty much a joke - grade 12 and maybe a little into year one university level) plus the summer term in between which was pretty much only time building. When you hit the magical number you finish. Lots of students were done early to mid-August and had 2-4 weeks off before the second winter term began in my class.

Private can be much quicker, especially over the winter if you go where the weather is good (ie Manitoba, Saskatchewan). If you start soon, it should be relatively easy to be ready to start working in the spring of 2023 (compared to just getting your PPL).
Part of the issue with going to a private flight school is money. Going to Confed would be partly covered through scholarships, grants, and loans for me.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Beg, plead, (blackmail??) your way back into Med. School. You'll be employable anywhere in the world, have much greater job stability, and if you specialize, likely greater earning potential. Buy/rent/partner in an aircraft on the side.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Flyinghorologist wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:30 pm Part of the issue with going to a private flight school is money. Going to Confed would be partly covered through scholarships, grants, and loans for me.
Keep in mind your living expenses are extra. What about if you lived at home and completed it in a year?

I have to ask, why would you drop out of medical school? I know medicine isn't everything it's cracked up to be, but I think that you will find that aviation is severely intellectually understimulating and there is little opportunity to gain that.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I could cut and paste from previous posts on same topic.

Confed = 20 months and approx $35000 spent including rent (tbay not that expensive).

Do the MIFR after on your own dime. Unfortunately, that will be more expensive due to Confed no longer offering GRP3 IFR rating. Probably around $12000.

You get a diploma. And you will be looking for work 12-24 months sooner than the Sault/Seneca/Western grads.

Good luck.

anotheremptykitchen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anotheremptykitchen »

Get your cat 1 NOW.

Last edited by anotheremptykitchen on Wed May 24, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyinghorologist
Rank 0
Rank 0

anotheremptykitchen wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:09 pm Get your cat 1 NOW. I'm a current first year and multiple of my classmates had to cease their training for several months because TC was so slow getting medicals issued.
Thanks that is a great tip, will do!

Classofsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Classofsault »

Just my two cents
Stay with the medical field, perhaps pursue flying as a hobby. You have a better career options and more stable in comparison.

Fully agree with the user above regarding realistic completion of the programs. Sault College for example for the class of 2020, 2021 have been horrible. Just do your research here and Reddit. Number of parents were suing the school, one recently (2022) sued and the school and they settled out of court. They gave them back all the tuition money plus expenses. Students were in their third and final year yet still trying to finish their private or recently finished their private license. Success rate in the program over the years has been as low as 40% as stated by the college.

Again just my two cents, but if you have other options, I personally would pursue those.

Return to “Flight Training”