Next Rating

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Next Rating

Post by Gowyn »

So after 38 years I finally completed my CPL...haha

Slight detour, just finishing off 30 year career with fire department and moving on to the next career.

So 95% sure next step is instructor rating but just wanted advice/confirmation if you don't mind.

Plan is/was instruct P/T until I retire then perhaps continue P/T or F/T depending on how I feel. At some point in there will probably get IFR and multi while moving up to class 3/2/1 instructor. This is of course assuming I get hired somewhere.

Another retired firefighter who has been flying bush planes for quite a while suggested float rating and fly in the bush. Not sure how I feel about that, be fun flying but I understand it's 10% flying 90% Joe jobs which I don't really mind.

I suppose the other option would be multi/IFR and join the rat race with other freshly minted CPL's. Not really fair because I'll be collecting a pension better than they will make for the next decade.

Anyway, before I start the course thought I'd solicit some input,

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Next Rating

Post by C-GKNT »

I am not a career pilot myself but I think a good pilot should always be training. Without any specific need, I ended up with an ATPL-A and a CPL-H. Personally, I am biased towards the instrument rating as I think that is the one most likely to save your life. Multi-engine really isn't a big deal, you can knock that one out in a week and wouldn't bother with it until you have a need or access to a twin.

However...it really depends on the type of flying that you do (want to do) and you listed a WIDE range of options.

Steve Pomroy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Next Rating

Post by Steve Pomroy »

Gowyn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:26 am So 95% sure next step is instructor rating but just wanted advice/confirmation if you don't mind.
Gowyn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:26 am Another retired firefighter who has been flying bush planes for quite a while suggested float rating and fly in the bush.
If you're considering the float rating and instructor rating, you can pm me about doing them together (with a large chunk of the instructor rating on a floatplane). You can also get some information here: http://www.studentpilot.ca/instructor/.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Flight Training”