Bases and equipment

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bases and equipment

Post by RegionalPilot »

Hello friends!

As we are awaiting for interviews and ground schools to be completed and announced, let’s get an update of the current bases and equipment across the network.

YUL & YYZ: E175 / CRJ / Q400
YYC & YVR: CRJ / Q400

Can someone give a rundown of what kind of flying and schedule one can expect on each type of aircraft?
Which one offers the most days off per month?
Which one is the best for a commuter?
Which one runs junior vs senior?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Bases and equipment

Post by goleafsgo »

YYZ Q is bad. There’s very little flying actually out of YYZ so most pairings have you heading east or west first

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

RegionalPilot wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:02 pm Hello friends!

As we are awaiting for interviews and ground schools to be completed and announced, let’s get an update of the current bases and equipment across the network.

YUL & YYZ: E175 / CRJ / Q400
YYC & YVR: CRJ / Q400

Can someone give a rundown of what kind of flying and schedule one can expect on each type of aircraft?
Which one offers the most days off per month?
Which one is the best for a commuter?
Which one runs junior vs senior?

Thanks!
Most new positions will go YYZ and YUL Jets. Next month there is barely any flying on the Q in both those bases. If they open up the Asia flying then n YVR will pick up perhaps. YYC has been on a slow decline since pre-covid.

Flying schedule (I mainly know the jet flying) - Eastern flying is around 2-4 legs a day, a lot of the short hops are being done on the jets instead of the Q for some reason right now, but there is a nice variety of flying. Western flying was 1-3 legs as theirs are usually longer on average ~ 2 hours each flight on the jets. Awesome destinations up the coast.

Most days off - they are all the same +/- 1 or 2 days. Guaranteed 12 off a month. YVR sometimes had a few more days off because they have longer legs than say YYZ so you could get your credit in quicker.

Best for commuter - Depends where you live, can't really answer this one.

Senior - YVR/YYC is most senior, especially for the CA side. Most junior is YUL and YYZ.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Is commuting from yvr to yyz or yul survivable ?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

link821 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:51 pm Is commuting from yvr to yyz or yul survivable ?
I don’t fly for Jazz but that’s a long commute. It’s one thing to do YUL-YYZ or YVR-YYC but YVR to either YYZ/YUL wouldn’t be easy. It would really eat into your days off.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

link821 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:51 pm Is commuting from yvr to yyz or yul survivable ?
Anything is “survivable” if you want it enough, but it sure gets hard on the body/social life/relationships and days off. Limited direct flights into YUL from YYC or YVR. YYZ is a better commute than YUL from YVR just due to frequency of flights.

Lots of pilots and FAs commute but usually not the cross country commute for a full career.

Just my 2 cents. I’m a YEG-YYC commuter and did YEG-YVR at the beginning.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:33 am
Anything is “survivable” if you want it enough, but it sure gets hard on the body/social life/relationships and days off. Limited direct flights into YUL from YYC or YVR. YYZ is a better commute than YUL from YVR just due to frequency of flights.

Lots of pilots and FAs commute but usually not the cross country commute for a full career.

Just my 2 cents. I’m a YEG-YYC commuter and did YEG-YVR at the beginning.

Gotcha! Hopefully it wouldn’t be for too long if it was needed

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

I've done the transcon commute for a few months at the beggining. It was grueling, it will eat into your days off, it'll cost you (flights + crashpad) and since you are the most junior your odds of getting a commuter-friendly schedule are quite low.
With that said, it's doable. It all depends on the recovery. If it is rapid, getting your base transfer, could range from while still in training to 6 months down the line. If the recovery is slow...well who knows how long it could take. Rumors about AC hiring 500 guys or so shortly are definitely pointing in the right direction thought.

In the end YYZ (except Q4) and YUL (all types) are quite junior, so you will get your base transfer, you just have to hang in there.

Good luck!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

If you cannot get the Base that you want in the new-hire bid for your class, make sure to still pick an equipment type that is on your desired Base and reflect that preference on your Standing Bid.

Quite a few pilots get an award for their desired Base while still on initial type training (be aware that you cannot change equipment types during your 48 month freeze period unless it is for an upgrade).

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

I sorta just assumed they wouldn’t be offering the e175 with all the SKY pilots still needing training?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

link821 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 pm I sorta just assumed they wouldn’t be offering the e175 with all the SKY pilots still needing training?
New-hire courses will be offered vacancies on unbid positions. That could include E75 FO if there is attrition to AC (or elsewhere) or internal E75 FO attrition to upgrade and no current Jazz pilot who is not frozen on current type has bid the vacancy via standing bid.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

link821 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 pm I sorta just assumed they wouldn’t be offering the e175 with all the SKY pilots still needing training?
The former SKY pilots should all be back online by now. Dash 8 pilots are now doing training on the E175.

Let’s Go Brandon
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

well since its all one seniority list they can get bumped if a jazz pilot who is senior wanted to go on it

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:47 pm
The former SKY pilots should all be back online by now. Dash 8 pilots are now doing training on the E175.
Only 4 yyz fo left to train. Likely will be trained last though

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

So basically for someone that is upgradable quick, one would suggest to go on the Q east, otherwise the upgrade might be different from the initial type you got trained on, and in a different base…

WhataYoke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WhataYoke »

For those wanting to stay east bid the Jet. Those wanting to go West pick the Q. YVR Q always has vacancies on it as theres no other aircraft in the Jazz fleet that fits its mission profile. 1 leg your doing YVR Island hops the next your off to northern BC.

Inthrustwetrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

How long to hold Q cpt or jet cpt in yyc ?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Inthrustwetrust wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 pm How long to hold Q cpt or jet cpt in yyc ?
Apparently, the next ice age will be upon us first.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Inthrustwetrust wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 pm How long to hold Q cpt or jet cpt in yyc ?
Good question, unfortunately you won’t get an answer.

Upgrades and movement are based on AC’s attrition rate. 2 years maybe? At this point it’s pure speculation.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

BTW what is the latest on the YYC base going forward, any new talk of growth/status quo/decline ??

Gravity always wins

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”