AirSprint - Updated Pilot Career Guide

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AirSprint - Updated Pilot Career Guide

Post by pilotguy53 »

AirSprintInc wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:08 pm
pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:56 am Is there a reciprocal agreement/jumpseat agreement that allows pilots to commute?
Hi Pilotguy53,

We do not have a reciprocal or jumpseat agreement as we are unable to return the favor. We do allow staff (and their friends and family) to fly on our own aircraft when there are empty legs (owner is not on board), however these types of flights could not be used to commute reliably. While we don't have any rules preventing commuting, it is not recommended. Our main pilot bases are Calgary, Toronto and Montreal and we have pilot sub bases in Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Quebec City.

Cheers!
Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
Thanks for the response, Matt.

Is it hard to get a sub-base, such as Kelowna upon hire? Or is it seniority based/as available?
---------- ADS -----------

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

pilotguy53 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:30 pm
pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:56 am Is there a reciprocal agreement/jumpseat agreement that allows pilots to commute?
Hi Pilotguy53,

We do not have a reciprocal or jumpseat agreement as we are unable to return the favor. We do allow staff (and their friends and family) to fly on our own aircraft when there are empty legs (owner is not on board), however these types of flights could not be used to commute reliably. While we don't have any rules preventing commuting, it is not recommended. Our main pilot bases are Calgary, Toronto and Montreal and we have pilot sub bases in Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Quebec City.

Cheers!
Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
Thanks for the response, Matt.

Is it hard to get a sub-base, such as Kelowna upon hire? Or is it seniority based/as available?
Hi Pilotguy53,

We have availability at all of our bases at the moment, including Kelowna, so if successful through the hiring process you would be based at your preferred base upon hire.

Cheers!
Matt

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

Hi Pilotguy53,

Cheers!
Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B

Well you know, if you got a Union going on the property there, you might be able to get Jumpseats without having to offer anything reciprocally, as long as you're part of the same Union. I know UNIFOR has done this, and ALPA as well. That would be a great way to offer something to your pilot group that wouldn't really cost you anything, and allow commuting, in fact they'd pay for it with about 1% dues. Win-win.

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rando »

Union at a corporate job? lol.

I don’t think that’s how those jobs function, nor would any of the pilots want a union.

Pilots are there because they want to be there, and get satisfaction out of providing an excellent, safe product.

The union job is where you will find some pilots who get satisfaction out of working the least amount possible, and riding the seniority wave to higher pay. Higher pay not because of their contribution to the operation, only because of date of hire.

Nothing wrong with either, do what makes you happy.… just don’t bring the airline pilot mentality to the corporate world, just like you wouldn’t bring the corporate mentality to the airline world. The only thing in common really would be that safety is paramount, after that it’s two completely different worlds.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Radiohead wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:00 pm
Hi Pilotguy53,

Cheers!
Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B

Well you know, if you got a Union going on the property there, you might be able to get Jumpseats without having to offer anything reciprocally, as long as you're part of the same Union. I know UNIFOR has done this, and ALPA as well. That would be a great way to offer something to your pilot group that wouldn't really cost you anything, and allow commuting, in fact they'd pay for it with about 1% dues. Win-win.
Never ever ever ever going to happen. A large majority of corporate guys are there because they don’t want to deal with unions

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I’ll add that just because you are unionized doesn’t mean that you can get a JS agreement. It has to be reciprocal, Morningstar is an example that can’t get jumpseat agreements because they aren’t able to offer a seat in their planes to other airlines pilots.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Meanwhile in the US, homebasing is becoming the norm for corporate pilots.

WCJetPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WCJetPilot »

Let's remember that AirSprint is operating corporate business jets (Citation CJ2+, CJ3+ & Legacy 450/Praetor 500's), which do not have typical "jump seats" like an airliner class of aircraft would.
Unless an aircraft is flying a true empty-leg, the only way for a non-acting crew/AirSprint employee to be onboard the aircraft - would be to be seated in the small cabin with the paying customers. (I'm sure the customers who pay a high amount of money to travel in a private cabin would have no issue sharing the ride with AirSprint employees looking to catch a lift - NOT!)

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Well then how does Cargojet have Myidtravel with AC? No one is allowed to travel on CJ, but apparently CJ pilots can fly on AC planes?

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

We have availability at all of our bases at the moment, including Kelowna, so if successful through the hiring process you would be based at your preferred base upon hire.

Cheers!
Matt
Hi Matt,

I applied about a month ago with about 2600 hours (50 jet).

I was just wondering about the normal time frame for receiving feedback for your application?

Thank you :)

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:59 am

Cheers!
Matt
Hi Matt,

I applied about a month ago with about 2600 hours (50 jet).

I was just wondering about the normal time frame for receiving feedback for your application?

Thank you :)
Hi Launchpad1,

We’ll be starting another round of interviews next week as we have several positions to fill with the addition of 3 aircraft to the fleet over the next 2 months. Feel free to send your resume again to our careers email or directly at mrolleman@ airsprint.com and I’ll make sure it gets looked at.

Cheers!
Matt

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

rando wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:54 pm Union at a corporate job? lol.

I don’t think that’s how those jobs function, nor would any of the pilots want a union.

Pilots are there because they want to be there, and get satisfaction out of providing an excellent, safe product.

The union job is where you will find some pilots who get satisfaction out of working the least amount possible, and riding the seniority wave to higher pay. Higher pay not because of their contribution to the operation, only because of date of hire.

Nothing wrong with either, do what makes you happy.… just don’t bring the airline pilot mentality to the corporate world, just like you wouldn’t bring the corporate mentality to the airline world. The only thing in common really would be that safety is paramount, after that it’s two completely different worlds.
:lol:

There’s no union here for the same reason there’s no union at most 704s, 703s, and your local McDonalds.

Nobody stays long enough to care. In and out. Short term pain for long term gain at either a non-union company that pays a lot better for far less work…. or signing a card and getting a number at a destination company.

This one isn’t either. That’s why the banner ads and the bonds like North Wright or Air Georgian back in the day.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Checkspeed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checkspeed »

‘Bob’ wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:42 am
rando wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:54 pm Union at a corporate job? lol.

:lol:

There’s no union here for the same reason there’s no union at most 704s, 703s, and your local McDonalds.

Nobody stays long enough to care. In and out. Short term pain for long term gain at either a non-union company that pays a lot better for far less work…. or signing a card and getting a number at a destination company.

This one isn’t either. That’s why the banner ads and the bonds like North Wright or Air Georgian back in the day.
Speak for yourself, I truly enjoy working at Airsprint and plan on making a career here. Every single pilot I’ve chatted with at the company is against a union, myself included. If there are pro-union pilots here they’re pretty quiet about it. No union is one of the many things I like about this company. I’ve worked at a handful of companies that ranged from hot garbage to pretty decent and Airsprint is by far the best place I’ve worked yet.
Is it perfect? Nope. But they’re constantly working on ways to make it better and you couldn’t ask for a better management team.

People seem to get all bent out of shape that Airsprint doesn’t fit into the corporate “box" or the airline “box”.
It isn’t either of those things, it’s fractional, which is a category all on its own.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Checkspeed wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:29 pm
Is it perfect? Nope. But they’re constantly working on ways to make it better
I've read that about them here on avcanada multiple times over the past 6 years. That place must be paradise by now ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Spoke to a couple of AirSprint guys in YUL, boys seemed pretty happy, sounded like a good gig, with decent pay. Good option if the airlines are not your thing.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Did the pay go up?

Calrissian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calrissian »

Some questions for management:

1. With regards to scheduling.. is the 14/14 a guarantee of 14 days off in a row?
2. For the 16/12, it was mentioned earlier as 8 on/ 6 off... could you work 16 straight and have 12 off?

A rotational position on a jet sounds pretty great. I don't know of many companies doing that in Canada, and personally it's a major selling point. Without flight benefits though, a consistent schedule known well in advance would be important - otherwise it would be tough to afford to fly anywhere in your time off.

3. Can you be based out of one your sub-bases, Victoria, for example? Or must it be Toronto / Montreal / Vancouver?
4. How quick can an F/O upgrade to Captain? I am sure this is a case-by-case basis but maybe you can shed light on some F/O's that came to you with roughly 1500TT, ATPL and some two crew experience, that now sit in the left seat.

Much appreciated.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Calrissian wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:33 pm Some questions for management:

1. With regards to scheduling.. is the 14/14 a guarantee of 14 days off in a row?
2. For the 16/12, it was mentioned earlier as 8 on/ 6 off... could you work 16 straight and have 12 off?

A rotational position on a jet sounds pretty great. I don't know of many companies doing that in Canada, and personally it's a major selling point. Without flight benefits though, a consistent schedule known well in advance would be important - otherwise it would be tough to afford to fly anywhere in your time off.

3. Can you be based out of one your sub-bases, Victoria, for example? Or must it be Toronto / Montreal / Vancouver?
4. How quick can an F/O upgrade to Captain? I am sure this is a case-by-case basis but maybe you can shed light on some F/O's that came to you with roughly 1500TT, ATPL and some two crew experience, that now sit in the left seat.

Much appreciated.

Hi Calrissian,

Sorry for the confusion on our schedule but I'll need to clarify how it works. The 14/14, 16/12, and 18/10 are part of our PBS (preferential bidding system) schedule. Each month you bid for the days you want to work or would like off and the system does it's best to work that out for you. There is no guarantee of having 14 consecutive days off, however it is technically possible. The bid rules are such that normally you would be assigned 6-8 consecutive working days followed by a minimum of 4 days off. Depending on how you bid that could result in any number of combinations of days on and days off during the 28 day bid period that results in 14 days of work and 14 days off (or 16 days of work, 12 days off, etc.). It is not possible to bid to work 16 days in a row, the maximum you could ask the bid to assign you would be 13 days, and this is only if you request it, the system is capped at 8 days otherwise.

We do have fixed rotational schedules as an option, so the 14/14 becomes a 7/7, 16/12 becomes 8/6 and the 18/10 a 9/5. These, along with the 14/14 and 18/10 PBS schedules are on an as available basis as we require a somewhat even amount of pilots on each schedule. Seniority and first come first served determine who is able to get what.

While we have no policy against pilots commuting or attempting to do a rotational schedule, we would strongly advise against it due to the costs involved with a lack of a reciprocal agreement with the airlines. Pilots may choose to be based at either our main bases (YYC, YYZ, YUL) or sub bases (YYJ, YVR, YLW, YWG, YXE, YWG, YOW, YQB) and we handle all costs associated with getting you to an aircraft and back home. Positioning occurs on your available to work days.

Captain upgrades require a minimum of 3000 hours internally (our external requirements are listed in our job ad - viewtopic.php?t=175521). Our pilots typically fly 500-600 hours a year.

I hope that answers your questions but feel free to email me directly mrolleman @airsprint.com if you would like to discuss our scheduling options in further detail or have any other questions!

Matt

Last edited by AirSprintInc on Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

AirSprintInc wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:28 pm Pilots may choose to be based at either our main bases (YYC, YYZ, YUL) or sub bases (YYJ, YVR, YLW, YWG, YXE, YWG, YQB) and we handle all costs associated with getting you to an aircraft and back home. Positioning occurs on your available to work days.
Hi Matt, is the YOW based now closed? If so, are there plans to reopen it in the future?

Thanks!

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:35 pm
AirSprintInc wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:28 pm Pilots may choose to be based at either our main bases (YYC, YYZ, YUL) or sub bases (YYJ, YVR, YLW, YWG, YXE, YWG, YQB) and we handle all costs associated with getting you to an aircraft and back home. Positioning occurs on your available to work days.
Hi Matt, is the YOW based now closed? If so, are there plans to reopen it in the future?

Thanks!
Hi yowflyer23,

My apologies, I neglected to include YOW in the original list, it is indeed open and growing!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention and I have corrected my post.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Return to “Corporate”