Pilot unity

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Pilot unity

Post by slob driver »

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlaskaPilots ... tIkiFfaGHQ

Please watch this video.

The above shows us all what we need to do going forward. Heavy lifting required by all pilot groups. In Canada, much of this will start with AC and WJ pilots.
---------- ADS -----------

Lance rose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pilot unity

Post by Lance rose »

Good luck. The ACPA MEC can't even get their affairs in order to do their business. The Vancouver reps tabled a motion to get rid of some of the MEC members that don't agree with their ideas. How's that for unity

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Lance rose wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 am The Vancouver reps tabled a motion to get rid of some of the MEC members that don't agree with their ideas. How's that for unity
Technically it’s a move towards it? Stalin would be proud!

flyingfool
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingfool »

The YVR Chair's top priority has and always will be avoiding the flight line.

The base should make him return to the line under the eroding working conditions he has endorsed under his tenure

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Lance rose wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 am Good luck. The ACPA MEC can't even get their affairs in order to do their business. The Vancouver reps tabled a motion to get rid of some of the MEC members that don't agree with their ideas. How's that for unity
It's politics. Nothing more or less. The last MEC wiped the committee's clean as well. Now this MEC wants to reverse it.

ACPA is slowly changing hands from one demographic to a younger demographic. The power struggle will take awhile. But the end result is inevitable.

Futility.

Let the next gen have control. This stupid struggle will only hurt us all. You can't stop it so get out of the way

Lance rose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lance rose »

If he is so bad, why haven't the Vancouver Pilots started a recall process? The Montreal and Toronto guys are pushing hard to join ALPA why is it that one group stall it.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Montreal is definitely not pushing for that.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

Neither is Toronto. I call former Jazz ALPA bs.

dumpsterfire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dumpsterfire »

Well everyone I talk to in Toronto knows ACPA is a dumpster fire so that only leaves a competent union to go for...ALPA

I know management wants to push a narrative that some people actually think ACPA has done anything else other than handout concessions but reality demonstrates otherwise

eurotrash
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eurotrash »

Lance rose wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:09 pm If he is so bad, why haven't the Vancouver Pilots started a recall process? The Montreal and Toronto guys are pushing hard to join ALPA why is it that one group stall it.
How old is he anyways? Isn't he close to 60? What kind of pilot doesn't want to spend his last years in the cockpit instead of milking hotels & expenses off the backs of his own

aeronauticaldisaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aeronauticaldisaster »

eurotrash wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:37 pm
Lance rose wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:09 pm If he is so bad, why haven't the Vancouver Pilots started a recall process? The Montreal and Toronto guys are pushing hard to join ALPA why is it that one group stall it.
How old is he anyways? Isn't he close to 60? What kind of pilot doesn't want to spend his last years in the cockpit instead of milking hotels & expenses off the backs of his own
Lol...a 60 years old pilot who doesn't want to spend his last years in a 777 flight deck...maybe for his last day since he doesn't fly he can get some people to do a proper "water cannon salute" with water guns at his lake cottage in a stoic send off of where he spent his time as a pilot

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

dumpsterfire wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 pm Well everyone I talk to in Toronto knows ACPA is a dumpster fire so that only leaves a competent union to go for...ALPA

I know management wants to push a narrative that some people actually think ACPA has done anything else other than handout concessions but reality demonstrates otherwise
ALPA a competent union!? An old boys club based in the US maybe. Ask the junior pilots at Jazz, any pilot at WestJet, Encore, KFC, etc. Double the dues and no meaningful support. If you want change then it would be better to fix any problems at ACPA or go with the Teamsters or Unifor. Personally I’d prefer to keep control of our own union without any outside influence, just like the APA (American Airlines).

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Ratherbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 pm
dumpsterfire wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 pm Well everyone I talk to in Toronto knows ACPA is a dumpster fire so that only leaves a competent union to go for...ALPA

ALPA a competent union!? An old boys club based in the US maybe.
Circle the wagons boys! LOL....

You got that backwards - Competent union ACPA is not, old boys club with the incumbents losing their grip ACPA is. Send those ole boys in YUL, YVR, YWG back to the LINE.

That's one thing at ALPA, reps mostly still fly at least partial blocks... How in touch can you be fully displaced in the crystal palace?
Ratherbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 pmAsk the junior pilots at Jazz, any pilot at WestJet, Encore, KFC, etc. Double the dues and no meaningful support.
Is that who you compare yourself to? Jazz, Encore, Flightcraft?

Regionals & LCCs? Typical ACPA-think.

I prefer to ask the guys at Delta, United, FedEx. That's who I compare myself to. That's how I value myself. Then I look at the dismal contract performance and unacknowledged failures of our Association over the last 10 years.

Double the dues is an exaggeration. Besides, as is we are paying for turds. And "meaningful support"? Haven't ever seen that from ACPA.
Ratherbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 pm If you want change then it would be better to fix any problems at ACPA or go with the Teamsters or Unifor. Personally I’d prefer to keep control of our own union without any outside influence, just like the APA (American Airlines).
We were told to fix it or told to ditch it by paid consultants and if we were to fix it, they told us how to do it and we didn't listen and actually managed to change our governance for the worse!

So it's time to ditch it now... and you propose Teamsters and Unifor! LOL. Maybe Jerry D can come out of retirement and head that drive for you, I mean after the investigation is all over. Maybe there's some payments and envelopes of cash to pass around and build that support up...

I'd alternatively join APA, IPA or SWAPA as a compromise but I doubt they would want us. So ALPA it is, sooner the better.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Ratherbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 pm ALPA a competent union!? An old boys club based in the US maybe. Ask the junior pilots at Jazz, any pilot at WestJet, Encore, KFC, etc. Double the dues and no meaningful support.
That’s nonsense. I’m at WJ. We just surveyed our members and around 85% supported ALPA. I have seen first hand the improvements and successes our union has brought us since we certified. It hasn’t been perfect, but we’re slowly gaining ground and moving forward.

MontrealCanucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MontrealCanucks »

Ratherbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:08 pm
dumpsterfire wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 pm
ALPA a competent union!? An old boys club based in the US maybe. Ask the junior pilots at Jazz, any pilot at WestJet, Encore, KFC, etc. Double the dues and no meaningful support. If you want change then it would be better to fix any problems at ACPA or go with the Teamsters or Unifor. Personally I’d prefer to keep control of our own union without any outside influence, just like the APA (American Airlines).
An old boys club?

ACPA be like: Watch this!

Why is it the same old characters at ACPA who chow down on the displacements? How long has the YVR Base Chair been on full displacement? How much has he flown in the last decade? How many displacements did the CMSC Chair get last month? And the month before?

And American will be at ALPA before the end of the year because they want to join the union that has been in this exact business for 90 years.

And Sunwing has left Unifor for...take a guess...yup...ALPA....

Unifor... :lol: :lol:

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

flyingfool wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:40 am The YVR Chair's top priority has and always will be avoiding the flight line.

The base should make him return to the line under the eroding working conditions he has endorsed under his tenure
Personal attacks.

Base chair displacements aren't unique to ACPA. They're the norm at ALPA carriers as well, I stand to be corrected on that. I think it makes sense to have a base chair fully displaced. They're looking after the personal issues of 800, 900 or 2200 members.

I'm assuming you're okay with a base chair's displacement, as long as they're on your side of the ALPA debate?

The great thing about democracy and a constitution that protects it is that we'll all have our say. If there's a deal offered by ALPA, we'll get to see it, digest it, debate it, and vote on it. Not 5 or 10 MEC members, not a few hundred members on Whatsapp. All 4000 of us. And I'll happily move on from there.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

a220hereicome wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:16 pm
The great thing about democracy and a constitution that protects it is that we'll all have our say. If there's a deal offered by ALPA, we'll get to see it, digest it, debate it, and vote on it. Not 5 or 10 MEC members, not a few hundred members on Whatsapp. All 4000 of us. And I'll happily move on from there.
You don’t need to wait for an offer (which will be filtered through the ACPA MEC just like last time). Did you ever get to vote on that one? And wasn’t it the actions of the ACPA MEC that ultimately flushed it down the toilet? Perhaps they knew what the impact of their actions would be. Didn’t matter what the membership wanted or voted on.

Just start an ALPA card campaign. And during the ‘open period’ of your CBA (90 days prior to expiry) file for a representation change with the CIRB.

I have to wonder if ALPA really wants anything to do with the AC pilots. 25 years of infighting, anarchy, and representational dysfunction and counting…

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

rudder wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:49 pm
You don’t need to wait for an offer (which will be filtered through the ACPA MEC just like last time). Did you ever get to vote on that one? And wasn’t it the actions of the ACPA MEC that ultimately flushed it down the toilet? Perhaps they knew what the impact of their actions would be. Didn’t matter what the membership wanted or voted on.

Just start an ALPA card campaign. And during the ‘open period’ of your CBA (90 days prior to expiry) file for a representation change with the CIRB.
No thanks, cart before the horse. Some of the P4C crowd would like exactly that "Let's just ditch ACPA, join ALPA and sort it out later", I don’t think that’s the case with most of us.

I'll wait to see what's on offer before signing any card. Lots of political maneuvering before a formal membership offer is reissued. Jazz crowd won't be happy losing their influence in Washington (if there ever was any). "We speak for Canada!"

For what it's worth, the current MEC is more ALPA leaning (ever so slightly 5+1). If ALPA steps on to the dance floor again then the membership will likely see what's on the table, and we'll get to vote on it. I’ll live with the results.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

ALPA and ALPA(C) are very different animals. I would join ALPA in a heartbeat but only on the condition that we were not in any way beholden or associated with ALPA(C). Seat at the head table and roll call voting. Anything less takes us right back to the CALPA debacle circa 1994.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

sportingrifle wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:04 pm ALPA and ALPA(C) are very different animals. I would join ALPA in a heartbeat but only on the condition that we were not in any way beholden or associated with ALPA(C). Seat at the head table and roll call voting. Anything less takes us right back to the CALPA debacle circa 1994.
ALPA Canada is Group C of ALPA and only seperate insofar as it lobbies issues in Canada.

Anyway, we had the deal you seek in place in 2018, it was voted and passed by the ALPA executive were Air Canada Pilots to decide to merge.

It included:

- Eligibility for Group A changed to include Canadian airlines and 4000 members or $10million in dues USD or CAD
- AC joins as a Group A carrier (same as United/Delta/Fedex)
- AC elects it's own EVP to the ALPA executive
- ALPA Canada reformed
- Group C no longer elects ALPA Canada President
- Roll call voting at ALPA Canada

I guarantee that deal would be available again.

ACPA is a mess, burn it down.

Return to “Air Canada”