US Airlines Hiring Canadians

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 3
Rank 3

US Airlines Hiring Canadians

Post by Loading... »

Does anybody know of any USA airlines hiring Canadian pilots?
The pay looks like it may be higher there, and the cost of living in certain places is a lot lower.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: US Airlines Hiring Canadians

Post by goldeneagle »

Troll detect on high. Popcorn out. Should be fun to watch.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

The fact that they can’t hire Canadians is the reason the pay is high.

Can you imagine if they opened the border?

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

There are around 14,000 current ATP licenses issued in Canada.The estimates for pilot shortages in the US have a need for 8000-12,000 ATPs in the US in 2023.

I don't think Canadians are the solution to the American pilot shortage, but the US allowing Canadians to fill those spots is part of the solution to the Canadian pilot pay shortage.

eurotrash
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eurotrash »

This rumour was abound before Covid. You would think with all the pilots we have here there would be some interest from south of the border

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

I saw an article saying they are hiring Australians, dont know if its accurate or not. If it is, seems to me theres a reason *cough cough govt* keeping the doors closed to us.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

goingmissed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:02 pm There are around 14,000 current ATP licenses issued in Canada.The estimates for pilot shortages in the US have a need for 8000-12,000 ATPs in the US in 2023.

I don't think Canadians are the solution to the American pilot shortage, but the US allowing Canadians to fill those spots is part of the solution to the Canadian pilot pay shortage.
HOLY F*CK

When you put it into perspective, you can tell how much damage to the Canadian sector it would make if they would ever dare to open the borders to Canadian pilots... Can you imagine? This would be the death of the 702/703/704 industry.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Caterpillar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:22 am
goingmissed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:02 pm There are around 14,000 current ATP licenses issued in Canada.The estimates for pilot shortages in the US have a need for 8000-12,000 ATPs in the US in 2023.

HOLY F*CK

When you put it into perspective, you can tell how much damage to the Canadian sector it would make if they would ever dare to open the borders to Canadian pilots... Can you imagine? This would be the death of the 702/703/704 industry.
Honestly, probably not. As it would likely open the border both ways, and with the 1500 hr rule making it more difficult to start out down in the states I think you’d see a flood of low time guys up from the states to 703 to get their 1500 and all the 2000 hr guys up here flooding down.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Caterpillar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:22 am

HOLY F*CK

You can see the numbers here.

You will see a sharp decrease in the numbers during COVID because the numbers are generated through a comparison of pilot's license type and valid medicals (through new applications and renewals). During COVID, there were exemptions in place that extended medical validities and therefore result in a miscalculated estimate.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Loading... wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:52 pm Does anybody know of any USA airlines hiring Canadian pilots?
The pay looks like it may be higher there, and the cost of living in certain places is a lot lower.
Thanks
The only employer that I am aware of in the USA that is currently assisting Canadians with employment is Breeze Airways. They have an EB2 visa application process. Minimum requirements are 10 000 TT and 5000 fixed-wing PIC with time on aircraft over 40 000#. Canadian would also require d1000 hours of Part 121 time before they are eligible to upgrade. Time at a Canadian 705 operation does not count, so even though you have 10 000+ hours you'd still require a couple of years as an FO at Breeze FO pay (which isn't very impressive)

There are several US airlines that are recruiting under the EB3 visa program which is only available to Australian nationals.

Canadians could also apply for an EB2 visa on their own but it's expensive. It's only open to individuals of "Exceptional Ability" which Breeze has determined that the above qualifications are likely required to be successful. You would also need to convert your Canadian ATPL to a US ATPL which requires a conversion course now at a cost of roughly $4-5000 USD.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

The answer is no. unless you have a valid ATP and work visa or green card. which you cant just go and get :)

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:29 pm The answer is no. unless you have a valid ATP and work visa or green card. which you cant just go and get :)
But what about Air Wisconsin? I heard they may hire Canadians.
And its not a big deal to get an ATP conversion, just a couple grand.
Hey, I just found out, if yall have alot of money around, you can invest 1m buck in a US business and that speeds up the process I heard.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

It will cost over $6000cad to do the conversion with course, airfare, hotel, and other expenses.

radio
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by radio »

The good news is that the US airlines model will be collapsing this year. Meaning, the current model of legacies having regionals with pilots gathering experience at regionals to move on to legacy will change drastically in the coming year.

Regionals (and legacies owning regionals) are going to have to make choice to sponsor other competent nationals at their costs in order to fill positions.
They need to prove that the current applicant pool market cannot support their hiring needs to the US government in order for this to happen.
Regionals are paid very well these days with bonus that equals captain pay at AC in Canada, factoring the exchange rate.

Now the issue if Canadians start coming to the regionals is that they will be stuck at the current employer until they can self sponsor another visa.
Frontier is already hiring Australians and Spirit will be doing the same thing very soon, maybe they will consider the Canadians too in the future.

The big money Legacy career will probably be off limit to Canadians, as they will always have the required number off applicants from US sources.

I do believe that it will happen, but one must think about the impact of potentially only working for a regionals in the US and not move on to a legacy.
Money aside, the commuting would be a pain to any Canadians not able to drive to the nearest border airport. Not being able to sit in the actual Jumpseat on international flights combine with Canadians in high number working in the US would make jumpseating a nightmare for everyone.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Loading... wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:08 pm
172ReliefPilot wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:29 pm The answer is no. unless you have a valid ATP and work visa or green card. which you cant just go and get :)
But what about Air Wisconsin? I heard they may hire Canadians.
And its not a big deal to get an ATP conversion, just a couple grand.
Hey, I just found out, if yall have alot of money around, you can invest 1m buck in a US business and that speeds up the process I heard.
AW wont hire Canadians. Unless you can persuade them to file for an employment based GC or work visa on your behalf. Much easier to hire a 1500 hour US citizen or GC holder.

And an ATP conversion can be a big deal for someone who currently has other bills to pay. But why bother, if youre good to work down in the US, have the hours, most regionals will pay for it anyway

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

radio wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:16 am The good news is that the US airlines model will be collapsing this year. Meaning, the current model of legacies having regionals with pilots gathering experience at regionals to move on to legacy will change drastically in the coming year.

Regionals (and legacies owning regionals) are going to have to make choice to sponsor other competent nationals at their costs in order to fill positions.
They need to prove that the current applicant pool market cannot support their hiring needs to the US government in order for this to happen.
Regionals are paid very well these days with bonus that equals captain pay at AC in Canada, factoring the exchange rate.

Now the issue if Canadians start coming to the regionals is that they will be stuck at the current employer until they can self sponsor another visa.
Frontier is already hiring Australians and Spirit will be doing the same thing very soon, maybe they will consider the Canadians too in the future.

The big money Legacy career will probably be off limit to Canadians, as they will always have the required number off applicants from US sources.

I do believe that it will happen, but one must think about the impact of potentially only working for a regionals in the US and not move on to a legacy.
Money aside, the commuting would be a pain to any Canadians not able to drive to the nearest border airport. Not being able to sit in the actual Jumpseat on international flights combine with Canadians in high number working in the US would make jumpseating a nightmare for everyone.

I agree to an extent. I think youre right in saying that the old model is collapsing. Regionals are desperate. Legacy Delta dropped the mandatory degree req etc.. I think if anything you're going to see a lot more academy type schools popping up. zero to hero and then CFI to regional with direct flow to mainline. I think United and American are already using this model.

Will be interesting to see what happens to me in the next year or so. My green card is almost finished processing, but looking forward to the journey.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

JHR wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:19 pm It will cost over $6000cad to do the conversion with course, airfare, hotel, and other expenses.
and this also doesnt guarantee a job....since you also need a valid work visa or green card (which any airline wont sponsor (99.9% of the time)) to even apply or be considered.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Loading... wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:08 pm ...
That's the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-un ... or-program

Lots of fine print, but yes if you had a spare million dollars to invest they in the US they will give you a green card. There's some other fine print in there about if you start a business in the US that employs 5 Americans as well, not sure if you also have to invest 7 figures or if you can start a twitter account and hire 5 American influencers and then apply?

We_tu_lo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by We_tu_lo »

Atlas air is actively recruiting Canadians under the EB-2 visa but I believe you need to have your FAA ATP done before they'll sponsor you.

It's not difficult, just a bit expensive. Here is a good run-down:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/skiesmag.c ... ate/%3famp

ThatGuyHoldingShort
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatGuyHoldingShort »

We_tu_lo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:07 am Atlas air is actively recruiting Canadians under the EB-2 visa but I believe you need to have your FAA ATP done before they'll sponsor you.

It's not difficult, just a bit expensive. Here is a good run-down:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/skiesmag.c ... ate/%3famp
Yes I have all the info on this but there's also a reason why over 600 of their pilots left in the last 2 years to go to the legacy carriers in the US. The conditions are NOT very good.

There are many agencies right now that are offering green cards for pilots. The fees are in the roughly 18-20K USD range and obviously don't guarantee anything.
The wait times are between 18-24 months.
FFA ATPL not required at the time of application.
Could be lucrative or I honestly think that within five years we'll be able to apply almost anywhere on earth and get sponsored.

Return to “General Comments”