Predicament / Annual

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tommywcom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Predicament / Annual

Post by tommywcom »

I'm currently in Los Angeles with a Piper Seneca, and need an annual done soon. I have a few things to care of here and would prefer to get the annual done state-side, even if it's in a different state than California. Does anyone know a Canadian AME living in the US, or perhaps a snowbird?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Predicament / Annual

Post by digits_ »

tommywcom wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:40 pm I'm currently in Los Angeles with a Piper Seneca, and need an annual done soon. I have a few things to care of here and would prefer to get the annual done state-side, even if it's in a different state than California. Does anyone know a Canadian AME living in the US, or perhaps a snowbird?
Is this a private aircraft?

Plenty of owners fly to the states to get maintenance done on Canadian aircraft. I don't think you need a Canadian AME for that.

The US doesn't like it when Canadians AMEs travel to the US to work on Canadian airplanes. A Piper Seneca is common enough you should be able to find someone locally.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tommywcom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tommywcom »

Yes, this is a private aircraft. You're correct any US A&Ps can work on a Canadian aircraft - but only for maintenance work *between* annuals. To perform an annual inspection, unfortunately it has to be done by an a Canadian AME.

hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hangarline »

You'll need to find someone with IA approval. I would think that there are quite a few in the area.

tommywcom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tommywcom »

hangarline wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:36 pm You'll need to find someone with IA approval. I would think that there are quite a few in the area.
Oh. The IA's in the US can't do annuals on Canadian registered planes, only in-between maintenance. So only AMEs can perform annuals on Canadian planes. That's the predicament I'm in ... I need to find an AME who lives in the US or perhaps travels around.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The US doesn't like it when Canadians AMEs travel to the US to work on Canadian airplanes
Is true. When I have had to travel to the US to inspect a Canadian plane, I have said to US Immigration when asked: "I am a Canadian who is going to inspect a Canadian registered airplane which is in the US. I am being paid by a Canadian company, in Canadian dollars, it's just the plane which is in the US, and it's cheaper to move me than the plane.". When I said it, it was always truthful (don't lie to them!) And so far, has always been accepted. I do know of aviation people who have been banned from the US for being caught lying, so don't do that.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Crossing the border is a lottery. I made the mistake of mentioning to the boarder agent i had a flashlite & mirror to look at something; after which i spent the next hour explaining these were not "specialized" tools. Another time (1/2 day waiting) we had to have proof faxed in (shipping documentation) of repair parts that were previously shipped. The people at the boarder crossing are not your friends. - assume worst case scenario every time. Cover yourself with an Employers letter detailing exactly what you are proposing to do - but keep details to an absolute minimum. If an American can wash the windshield - no reason why u should be going. When at the border - assume u are teaching algebra to an elementary school student. Basic concepts do not apply. - Also better have ur tools shipped rather then accompanying them - Just state u are there to observe only ..

Return to “Maintenance”