Becoming a Ferry Pilot

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

IgnitionArmed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Becoming a Ferry Pilot

Post by IgnitionArmed »

Hey all,

Lately I have been thinking of becoming a ferry pilot and I'm looking for some insight and had a few questions for those who may work in that field of this industry. I'm mainly interested in freelancing and ferrying C registered piston singles/twins as I don't have an FAA license.

Besides licensing requirements, are there any requirements to obtain some sort of operations certificate from TC?

What is the best way to get a foot in the door? Do most ferry pilots find work through word of mouth and references or initially find work for a ferry company and then branch out to free lancing?

How do I go about getting insurance for this field of work? Since I expect to be flying multiple types, is there a policy out there that blanket covers all types such as Single/Multi Engine Land? Or would I need to call up my insurance company before every gig and tell them what plane I'll be ferrying, my time and previous experience on said plane?

What happens if the plane goes mechanical on a trip? What typically happens and how can I expect to deal with difficult owners who put the blame on me?

That's all I could think of for now. Again, if I am missing anything or further insight would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Becoming a Ferry Pilot

Post by Bede »

IgnitionArmed wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:51 am Hey all,

Lately I have been thinking of becoming a ferry pilot and I'm looking for some insight and had a few questions for those who may work in that field of this industry. I'm mainly interested in freelancing and ferrying C registered piston singles/twins as I don't have an FAA license.

Besides licensing requirements, are there any requirements to obtain some sort of operations certificate from TC?

What is the best way to get a foot in the door? Do most ferry pilots find work through word of mouth and references or initially find work for a ferry company and then branch out to free lancing?

How do I go about getting insurance for this field of work? Since I expect to be flying multiple types, is there a policy out there that blanket covers all types such as Single/Multi Engine Land? Or would I need to call up my insurance company before every gig and tell them what plane I'll be ferrying, my time and previous experience on said plane?

What happens if the plane goes mechanical on a trip? What typically happens and how can I expect to deal with difficult owners who put the blame on me?

That's all I could think of for now. Again, if I am missing anything or further insight would be greatly appreciated!
You don’t need an OC.

Mostly word of mouth.

Either get put on the owners insurance (may be difficult if you don’t have time on type) or get your own liability insurance (make sure it covers you for commercial ops, not just renters insurance).

Mechanical is their issue to deal with. Get it in a contract.

Ferry flying can be rewarding but it’s very challenging. Airplanes are almost never in the condition they’re claimed to be in, and if it’s a long trip, traversing multiple weather systems will take a while so you can expect to be stuck somewhere.

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

If you don't work for an airline and have travel benefits, expect to compete with other ferry pilots that do.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Flight94 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:08 am If you don't work for an airline and have travel benefits, expect to compete with other ferry pilots that do.
Strictly speaking, is that allowed?

The travel benefits rules I've read, have always excluded travel for commercial/business purposes.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

digits_ wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:30 am
Flight94 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:08 am If you don't work for an airline and have travel benefits, expect to compete with other ferry pilots that do.
Strictly speaking, is that allowed?

The travel benefits rules I've read, have always excluded travel for commercial/business purposes.
Interesting, I have no idea. But I've certainly seen ferry pilots advertising with that as an advantage.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:16 am Airplanes are almost never in the condition they’re claimed to be in,
No kidding :roll:

My last ferry light was in a Twin Cessna from Toronto to the West Coast ended up with me handing the new owner a 57 item long snag list. He had asked me to note any issues and many on the list were minor but several were not. For example I landed at the destination with the left engine fuel boost pump on low as the engine would not run smoothly with it off, only one alternator working despite having it already replaced in Calgary, having to bunt the airplane to get the gear to lock up and watching the left cowl light fall off on the approach.

That trip was the last straw after a couple of similar but less dramatic ferry flights. I have never done one since and have no desire to do any in the future.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:17 pm having to bunt the airplane to get the gear to lock up
Going way off topic here, but I've never understood the desire to do anything slightly abnormal in an airplane to get a gear to lock *up* if it doesn't go up by itself.

Why nudge/force it? So many more risks in forcing it up and breaking something that way, than just leaving it down.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Employment Forum”