Lynx too low cost?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YYJ_Jeff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Lynx too low cost?

Post by YYJ_Jeff »

So, I recently discovered that Lynx provides ZERO inflight service, save for a cup of water. The entire premise of operating as a ULCC is on added fees and ancillary revenue. What airline in their right mind commences operations and has zero inflight services? no buy on board, nothing. An excuse I heard from a Lynx employee was that because they are new and small they cannot set up catering contracts... Oh please. Lynx was formerly enerjet which has a contract with CARA and other companies across the country, total fake excuse.
---------- ADS -----------

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Lynx too low cost?

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

I'm fully expecting one of these startup ULCC to install a bank of vending machines in the area where the galley would traditionally be located.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Guess they're testing the waters to see how little they can get away with. I laughed at what O'Leary said on Shark Tank... Europeans would crawl upside down & backwards over broken glass for cheap flights, will Canadians put up with the same?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

I’ve wondered the same thing. The Ryanair FAs are some of the hardest working in the industry. Constantly trying to sell snacks/drinks/transit passes/scratch cards. They even have targets to hit or they’ll pulled into the office. I’m interested in why an ULCC such as Lynx isn’t try to make some money from the 180 people stuck in their cabin for 4 hours.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

So that it, time to design a carbon fiber vending machines stocked with ridiculously expensive Starbuck's coffee and sandwich's

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Are the overhead bins covered in marketing banners on any of these carriers yet? If not, why not?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

To be fair, dealing with catering contractors right now with COVID supply chain issues and staffing shortages has been a complete gong show. I get the sense that both WJ and AC are losing money on their buy-on-board these days. When you look at the Lynx website, it clearly states that "Due to COVID-19, food is not being served on board."

When you look at the other Indigo Partners' airlines, Frontier, Volaris and JetSmart all have a very significant inflight food menu. I don't think the 'no food' will be a permanent thing.

If you ask me, sounds like a smart plan. Don't lose money on it now when there is zero expectations, but if there's enough demand, bring it in to make money on it. Rarely do I feel sorry for airlines, but I did feel sorry for AC/WJ during COVID vis a vis catering. They had very few pax, lost money on the buy-on-board, got rid of it and then have pax complaining that there is no food and/or have catering companies not able to actually stock the aircraft with food.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

JBI wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:31 pm To be fair, dealing with catering contractors right now with COVID supply chain issues and staffing shortages has been a complete gong show. I get the sense that both WJ and AC are losing money on their buy-on-board these days. When you look at the Lynx website, it clearly states that "Due to COVID-19, food is not being served on board."

When you look at the other Indigo Partners' airlines, Frontier, Volaris and JetSmart all have a very significant inflight food menu. I don't think the 'no food' will be a permanent thing.

If you ask me, sounds like a smart plan. Don't lose money on it now when there is zero expectations, but if there's enough demand, bring it in to make money on it. Rarely do I feel sorry for airlines, but I did feel sorry for AC/WJ during COVID vis a vis catering. They had very few pax, lost money on the buy-on-board, got rid of it and then have pax complaining that there is no food and/or have catering companies not able to actually stock the aircraft with food.
Flights are selling out of BOB on almost every flight.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Little, if any activity on FlightRadar24. Saw one flight yesterday from out west to YYZ, their ident is DAT, they have been operational for about a week I think. Have no idea how many fins they currently have or status. Kinda quiet but certainly be interesting to see how it is going to unfold with their plans. Good luck to them.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I'm fully expecting one of these startup ULCC to install a bank of vending machines in the area where the galley would traditionally be located.
In the event of oxygen masks being deployed - please insert your credit card and select your desired time to live.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Pre Covid we shared a hotel van with a Spirit crew. The flight attendant, who had worked at more than 1 airline, said it was the easiest F/A job she has had. After she served the free water and offered the buy on board, they spent the rest of the flight reading magazines, because their passengers were too cheap to buy anything.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

A ULCC should have around 40% of its revenue from ancillaries including BoB.

Lynx will no doubt be setting that up but it's a significant endeavor to start up a catering program. Not just as simple as throwing some snacks on board to sell. It takes time and people to get that going.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Launchpad1 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:26 am In the event of oxygen masks being deployed - please insert your credit card and select your desired time to live.
The first 12 minutes are free.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Launchpad1 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:26 am
In the event of oxygen masks being deployed - please insert your credit card and select your desired time to live.
Along with coin operated washroom doors; 10 cents to enter, some on this site might remeber when those existed. :wink:

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

I remember my dad paying 10cents for me to enter the stall in a Kmart in the southern states. Man was he pissed when I only farted

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JHR wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:07 pm I remember my dad paying 10cents for me to enter the stall in a Kmart in the southern states. Man was he pissed when I only farted
Never trust a fart I always say.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

JHR wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:07 pm I remember my dad paying 10cents for me to enter the stall in a Kmart in the southern states. Man was he pissed when I only farted
:lol:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

"Here I sat broken hearted, paid my dime and only farted
Next time round I took a chance, kept my dime but shit my pants".

:butthead:

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Old fella wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:50 pm "Here I sat broken hearted, paid my dime and only farted

So you are the guy who wrote all over the stalls back in the 70s and 80s!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

JHR wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:09 am
Old fella wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:50 pm "Here I sat broken hearted, paid my dime and only farted

So you are the guy who wrote all over the stalls back in the 70s and 80s!

The Limericks from the ‘70s were priceless, I still remember a good selection of them 😉.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”