Carson Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Carson Air

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

The reason you can’t find any applicants and have to bombard the forum with the same job ads every week could perhaps be because it’s one of the worst jobs in Canada.
Out of interest though, does anyone have any recent info that could be helpful to people thinking of applying? Back in 2013 I applied and was told salary for an FO in YYC was $21,000. 12 hour duty days Monday to Friday sat in a FBO in YXE or YQR. Surely it has to be better now :shock:
---------- ADS -----------

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Carson Air

Post by twa22 »

I was wondering the same thing. They should not be allowed to keep reposting the same job ad every 2 weeks for 6 months straight, completely unacceptable

flyinmanzan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyinmanzan »

Last edited by flyinmanzan on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

They are getting plenty qualified candidates applying, so it's mind boggling why they keep posting the same ads every week.
Last I head FO pay was low 30's with an 18 month bond. Same split duty day, as with most cargo jobs.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

YVR 350 FO was quoted at 55K in interview. Pretty decent

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:15 pm YVR 350 FO was quoted at 55K in interview. Pretty decent
“Decent” by our twisted Canadian standards. Go warm up a 350 right seat stateside and it’s a 800-1000$ plus expenses per day.

Now go give your head a shake about how $55k is “half decent”!

TPC

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Vsquared wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:11 pm They are getting plenty qualified candidates applying, so it's mind boggling why they keep posting the same ads every week.
Last I head FO pay was low 30's with an 18 month bond. Same split duty day, as with most cargo jobs.

Really? If they were “getting plenty of qualified applying”

Why are they not then fully staffed? Why the revolving ads looking for the same type of candidate?

TPC

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:39 pm
Vsquared wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:11 pm They are getting plenty qualified candidates applying, so it's mind boggling why they keep posting the same ads every week.

Why are they not then fully staffed? Why the revolving ads looking for the same type of candidate?

TPC
I know at least 10 people who have applied that all have the hour requirements they're asking for, and a couple of which that have metro experience. Not a single one has received a call back.
Can you confirm they are not fully staffed? Or are they just reposting the same ad week over week for some unknown reason lol.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Vsquared wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:30 am
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:39 pm

TPC
I know at least 10 people who have applied that all have the hour requirements they're asking for, and a couple of which that have metro experience. Not a single one has received a call back.
Can you confirm they are not fully staffed? Or are they just reposting the same ad week over week for some unknown reason lol.
Questions we may never have answers to, but regardless, given what you, and others have said here, it makes absolutely zero sense why they keep reposting the same job ad. Someone with 5000 plus hours should apply for fun just to see if they get a call back, and if they do, ask them why they've reposted the same job ad every other week for the last 6 months

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:15 pm YVR 350 FO was quoted at 55K in interview. Pretty decent
A couple years ago the associated training bond was 24 months and a ridiculously high number that made several folks turn down offers.

Anyone remember when Carson was attempting to enforce the payment of the bond when the candidate could not qualify on the aircraft during training or LI?

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

Yes, I know of one applicant who was on the hook for 18k after not being able to make the cut during training, I believe he got up to 5 hrs training on the Aircraft, have then now stopped this practice?

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

That’s way better than a starting FO salary at the regionals. I’d imagine there more experience at the regionals than Carson too… Where do I sign up?

Also, regionals .. do better

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

flyndad wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:26 am Yes, I know of one applicant who was on the hook for 18k after not being able to make the cut during training, I believe he got up to 5 hrs training on the Aircraft, have then now stopped this practice?
WTF!!! How is this even legal?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Simple, sign the bond note, and there's language in it that says just that.

On the brighter side, there has just been a substantial bump to pilot salaries across the board, other improvements to per diems/shift premiums, and promises of more to come on other aspects of WaWCON.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 pm
“Decent” by our twisted Canadian standards. Go warm up a 350 right seat stateside and it’s a 800-1000$ plus expenses per day.

Now go give your head a shake about how $55k is “half decent”!

TPC
$183,000USD/yr plus expenses to sit right seat Part 135 in the USA.

Now I’ve heard everything.

Please don’t mistake ad hoc contract rates for salary.

And even then.. no US seat warmer is getting that unless it’s for running drugs.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=87e ... ce%2BPilot

Remember, they have the opposite problem we do. Legions of 250 hour wonders who will do anything to make it to 1500 and an airline spot.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

mmm..bacon wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:49 pm Simple, sign the bond note, and there's language in it that says just that.

On the brighter side, there has just been a substantial bump to pilot salaries across the board, other improvements to per diems/shift premiums, and promises of more to come on other aspects of WaWCON.
What is the new pay scale? what will they pay the dual type-rated 350/Citation captain they're advertising for in YVR?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Not sure if I'm at liberty to discuss exactly how much. :? But, you should easily be breaking six figures, and with a rock-solid schedule of days when you're working and off...

vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:07 am Not sure if I'm at liberty to discuss exactly how much. :? But, you should easily be breaking six figures, and with a rock-solid schedule of days when you're working and off...

Six figures hey? So they will be able to afford a one bedroom apartment in YVR on a 30 year mortgage!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

That goes for anyone, in any industry, at pretty much any age, unless you have parental help, win the lottery, or are already in the market. [Thread drift] Price of real estate is F$$king up the economics of just about every desirable place to live in the country...

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Sorry to say, but there are doctors and lawyers being priced out of Vancouver unless they had the Bank of Mom and Dad pay for their tuition and gift them a downpayment.

That’s why salary alone is meaningless. It has to be indexed to where you are going to be earning it.

That’s why you’ll never see a YLW medevac captain posting for Carson. Only FOs because none of them can upgrade for lack of spots.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html

Return to “Employment Forum”