when will this Covid Pandemic really end?

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

when will this Covid Pandemic really end?

Post by Castorero »

I thought I had said it all in answer to another thread, however, I should clarify a couple of points.

Optimism is a good thing, but when it goes against factual evidence it does nobody any good.

This virus is like no other in that it mutates faster that you can change your shirt, and it is going to continue in this fashion.
At this pace we will never reach heard immunity via vaccination for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam.
Even if 100% of the population were to be vaccinated en masse, estimates are that only 85% would be immune given the rapid mutogeneicity of Covid and the short duration of immune protection.

This virus is not like Measles, Polio et al, that impart near lifelong immunity.

Unless Science comes up with a new vaccine derived from a part of the virus that changes at a much slower rate than the components of the spike protein, we are in it for the long run.
God knows how long.

Optimism points to a way out that is already under way.
The virus has become more infectious, but it is also becoming less deadly.
Viruses must have half a brain because they do not want to kill all the hosts, least they suffer the same fate.

The only available vaccine to end this cycle is the virus itself.
We ALL, pretty much need to get infected by whatever variety is going around in order to reach herd immunity and for the virus to become part of our lives , much like a cold virus, less deadly but everpresent.

I am not suggesting that the vaccine path be abandoned altogether, because it has been of use and will continue to be of use for the elderly, the immunocompromised, those with multisystem disease, etc.

I still harbor some general optimism, but I am resigned to having it spread farther forward than I was prepared to.

Good health to all and may the Good Lord have mercy....
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: when will this Covid Pandemic really end?

Post by digits_ »

As I stated earlier in other topics: it's over when people decide it's over.

If Putin attacks Finland or makes more serious threats about nukes, it will be over right away.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Influenza is still a pandemic.

pan·dem·ic
/panˈdemik/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: pandemic (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

The better question might be when will people stop taking Covid seriously. For most of our policy makers they realized the pandemic was not worth taking seriously very yearly on.

Look how many politicians said it was not safe to travel, yet spent winter 2020/2021 out of the country on vacation. Look how many politicians say wear masks, yet get caught not masking in the very settings they say masks are required. Lots of smoke and mirrors policy for political and financial gains that have very little to do with public health. Public opinion was a huge policy driver, as masks were not effective but it made most people feel safe. If you believe we need masks today to prevent spread, maybe plan to mask the rest of your life because nothing is going to change with risk and mask efficacy in the near future. Lots of people recognize this early on that lockdowns and masking are not long term solutions, and slowly trust has been eroded as public health officials double down on policy and exaggerated risk as well exaggerated the benefits of the policy they encourage.

How many years are you willing to give up to pandemic policy? I know people with family who refuse to get together, and will only do so when the “pandemic is over”. Dumbasses… I also know people who have avoided social life with family and passed away wasted away their last two years of life living in fear of a virus only to have their life end in another way.

As digits said it’s over when you decide it’s over. Don’t be surprised that the people who tell you how you should live are the same people who ignore their own advice and are out enjoying normal life.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I agree it’s only going to end when we say it does. I don’t think about Covid much anymore, I don’t watch the media reports on it. I only wear a mask when I have to - Dr. Office and the airport. It’s basically a cold now. Time to move on….

Most of the cases are in the triple vaxxed so getting any more vaccines other than the 2 that I had to get is a hard no for me.

Let’s Go Brandon
EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

I actually do have the hope that with the current caseload peaking as I type this, and warmer weather on the way things will drop off dramatically.

Last Sunday on the way to a tour I was exposed to another pilot who at the time didn't realize he had covid. In fact, he didn't test positive until Tuesday. I began watching for symptoms and kept my distance from my co-workers (I'm triple vaxxed) although I did do a couple maintenance flights. Wednesday afternoon I started getting a bit of a fever and bailed out to go isolate. I honestly believed it was the flu because a family member I saw prior to leaving was sick but negative. I had mild symptoms Thursday and Friday and tested negative each day. I began to feel better Saturday but got a positive hit for covid that morning. (With all my free time I read some articles on why I didn't test positive on a rapid test for a few days. I didn't do "research", I just tried to educate myself a bit and think I have a better understanding of why this happens now.)

I would DEFINITELY never refer to myself as political or religious, if anything I think these things get in the way of a lot of common sense and cause more conflict between people than they will ever resolve. If you are one of the people who live within either of these worlds, good for you, but it just doesn't interest me and I'm not interested in discussions anchored in these realms or beliefs.

I'll stay in isolation, supported by my employer and the client we fly for, to ensure I don't spread covid to any of them. I only have a couple of days left after which I'll remain masked around them to get past the 10 days since I first had symptoms. I understand better now that had I stayed working it's quite likely I would have been contagious for a few days and likely spreading it because I tested negative every morning until Saturday. Luckily the other pilot was also isolated immediately after his positive test and is now ready to go back to work. To my knowledge no one else we work with has developed any symptoms.

So when will it end? Likely never.
If we can't make it end could we each do our part to mitigate the spread? That'd be great, wouldn't it?

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

EasyTarget wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:56 pm (I'm triple vaxxed)
Why would you do something as retarded as that?

Your employed doesnt give 2 Fuchs about you. Pilots are as expendable as the daily newspaper.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:25 am
EasyTarget wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:56 pm (I'm triple vaxxed)

Your employed doesnt give 2 Fuchs about you. Pilots are as expendable as the daily newspaper.
Nothing wrong with getting all the vaccine you want. The only retarded thing is when a job is held against your choice on a vaccine for a disease like covid when you may be very low risk, and the benefit of the vaccine is very limited.

The only strange this is how people use covid vaccine status as their flare. As long as people can make their own choices I see no problem.

Now for my identity

Pronouns: Then/Was, vax status: MMR, influenza (2016, 2017), Hep A and B, Tetanus (2015), Rotavirus, Polio and two Moderna MRNA.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

Bil Derberg wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:25 am EasyTarget wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:56 pm
(I'm triple vaxxed)

Well Bill, here's the thing. I'm an adult who makes my own decisions. Do I make the right decisions all the time, definitely not. Do I support your choice to not get vaccinated, yes I do. Even if I didn't support your decision I wouldn't attack you at the level of an 8th grader by calling it "retarded". Your body your choice.

I'm definitely expendable, but am also in the enviable position of having the knowledge, skills and abilities to leave my current employment and seek similiar elsewhere.

I guess I don't understand where along the line it became acceptable for strangers to presume to provide medical advice. I understand this is an anonymous forum for the most part and just by posting my situation I've opened it up for attack. I partly did that on purpose in hopes someone like you would hop on board so I could ask them...

If the situation was reversed and I attacked your position unsolicited, would you accept it and run out for the shots? I think not.

So in summary - I never thought of myself as overly intelligent, just average. I know my employer doesn't give 2 fuchs about me, but definitely 1 because if I'm not available to fly it costs them a pretty steep financial penalty. It's in their best interest to care a little, even if it's very little. And finally, yes I'm expendable and I'm fine with that. Maybe I'm in a different place in life than you and can walk away from the industry when I feel like it and on my own terms. I'd like to skip to the witty banter now....

Return to “Covid”