Missing plane Wawa

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cfall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Missing plane Wawa

Post by cfall »

---------- ADS -----------

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Missing plane Wawa

Post by triplebarrel »

here is another recent update from the same reporter.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sea ... ea-5272972

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/ ... -1.6422506

another update and after reading the initial story and this one I can finally confirm that both men were pilots. John Fehr (marys brother) is a newly licensed pilot. They went to buy a plane. I know the colorado low that was all over the news started Wednesday noon went hard into Thursday evening then finally tapered off at some point Friday, and that was just where I was. On the radar, she was still significantly strong as she shuffled towards the east. Hope they are ok

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

One Sault paper reports this is a Comanche.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Could be. I know there had been a Comanche for sale in Delhi for awhile.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Not nice terrain in that area.

Gotta be pretty high to be in radio contact with centre, as I remember

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'd probably reactivate my spot if I was flying out that way. I bought it for an east coast trip back in 2016.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:09 pm Not nice terrain in that area.

IIRC there’s an antenna in Wawa but you’re spot on about unforgiving terrain. I used to fly low-ish VFR cross countries over endless rocks and trees but I now treat that terrain like it’s water. Either go high or follow the highway - or both.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

lownslow wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:59 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:09 pm Not nice terrain in that area.

IIRC there’s an antenna in Wawa but you’re spot on about unforgiving terrain. I used to fly low-ish VFR cross countries over endless rocks and trees but I now treat that terrain like it’s water. Either go high or follow the highway - or both.
I’ve gone high over that area direct, Marathon- Elliot Lake so track east of Wawa, also landed there a few times, but then outside that area to the north i guess — its been a few, mind you — .even at 9000 there’s no radio or radar contact. Big gap Wawa to Marathon. (And maybe north of Marathon too…trying to recall)

Always have had 121.50 on comm 2 in case of emergency to call one of the AC planes up above, and a Spot for sure.

Alternates few and far between…can't mess with MVFR in that area….…weather off the lake can get nasty with icing….prayers…

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm I’ve gone high over that area direct, Marathon- Elliot Lake so track east of Wawa, also landed there a few times, but then outside that area to the north i guess — its been a few, mind you — .even at 9000 there’s no radio or radar contact. Big gap Wawa to Marathon. (And maybe north of Marathon too…trying to recall)

Always have had 121.50 on comm 2 in case of emergency to call one of the AC planes up above, and a Spot for sure.

Alternates few and far between…can't mess with MVFR in that area….…weather off the lake can get nasty with icing….prayers…
I’ve been plenty high in pressurized multi turbine comfort all around there and VFR in piston singles through that area a few times. I’m too chicken to rely on any one airport along the north shore so I was stuck landing in and gassing up at all of them last summer.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

After 3 decades of float flying I don't fly outside gliding distance from a road, in my wheelplane anymore.
It makes me feel claustrophobic, even on a sunny day.
Takes me a little longer to get around, but if your in a VFR single engine plane are you really in that big hurry?
The stretch from Sault to Wawa can be unforgiving especially in the winter. More then a few times it has been terrifying for me in a car in the winter.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

If you look at the METARs on the 13th, 14th and 15th for Wawa, the Sault and Gore Bay, there's a lot of garbage weather and it wasn't getting better. Even if you could fly over it, any issues where you had to land would not have a good outcome. Especially in the aircraft they were flying. Sadly, if they really had to get home, they should have left the plane in the hangar and flown commercial.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

I consider a Spot tracker with a valid subscription to be absolutely required for any flights I fly above anything else. As a minimum, if anything happens whether it's mechanical, weather or whatever, at least someone will find me or the smoking hole quickly and eliminate all the countless hours of family worrying, searchers putting their own lives at risk and expending considerable time and effort, and maybe even save mine and my passenger's lives.
When will Transport get out of the last century and, instead of having us all waste money bench testing an ELT every two years that only works in 30% of crashes and let us put that money towards an active satellite tracker that you KNOW works cause you can watch the bread crumbs as you fly?
I suppose someday the space based ADS-B will fill that role at an exponentially higher cost but how many more searches, days of anguish and worry and lost lives will happen before that?
It's simple - anywhere out of the GTA radar coverage is sparse do something for yourself and invest in one and use it on every flight.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

If you were the family or the search crews what track would you rather have to follow?

Attachments
Satellite tracker of new buyer of my airplane
Satellite tracker of new buyer of my airplane
Screenshot_20220419-110202_Photos.jpg (773.94 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
Actual radar of the flight such as it is
Actual radar of the flight such as it is
Screenshot_20220419-110223_Photos.jpg (532.03 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

broken_slinky wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:33 am If you look at the METARs on the 13th, 14th and 15th for Wawa, the Sault and Gore Bay, there's a lot of garbage weather and it wasn't getting better. Even if you could fly over it, any issues where you had to land would not have a good outcome. Especially in the aircraft they were flying. Sadly, if they really had to get home, they should have left the plane in the hangar and flown commercial.
Why do people fly in shit weather in remote areas in a bug smasher?

I'm being a jerk -- for reading the same thing over and over again.

Huge difference what I will do south of Sudbury (preferably, Barrie) vs north.

And three backups for up north, even in perfect weather:

406, Spot, Flight Plan filed, and responsible person texted with routing.

Or fly through the US!

I hope all you flight instructors take your students up in 1 mile vis. It's a lot worse than it sounds.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

mosky wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:47 am When will Transport get out of the last century and, instead of having us all waste money bench testing an ELT every two years that only works in 30% of crashes and let us put that money towards an active satellite tracker that you KNOW works cause you can watch the bread crumbs as you fly?
I suppose someday the space based ADS-B will fill that role at an exponentially higher cost but how many more searches, days of anguish and worry and lost lives will happen before that?
It's simple - anywhere out of the GTA radar coverage is sparse do something for yourself and invest in one and use it on every flight.
You’re not keeping up. Satellite ADSB will be compulsory for more or less all airplanes in Canada from 2026. And you’re paying.

Be careful what you wish for.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Ft Frances

Post by RatherBeFlying »

If you have the range, Ft. Frances to Sault Ste. Marie can take you over less problematic terrain without having to stop for customs.

And there's lots more airports if weather, fuel or mechanical concerns surface.

For the time being, I believe pre-arrival supervised Covid tests are not required for cross border travel (do your own research as that can change in a blink).

ArriveCan works much better on the website than the app, caveat during the short time pre-arrival test not required last year.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"Satellite ADSB will be compulsory for more or less all airplanes in Canada from 2026"

My brother just bought the tail-mounted uAvionix transmitter. I'll probably follow suit... (Installing on RVs...)

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

My brother just bought the tail-mounted uAvionix transmitter. I'll probably follow suit... (Installing on RVs...)
Will that be compatible with the mandated Canadian standard? Looks inexpensive, but not sure it's a fit for the satellite-based ADSB. Flown into the US a few times recently, and skirting the occasional 30mi ring is inconvenient.

ADSB does leave a nice breadcrumb trail though, even better that the 2 minute Spot, InReach, Spidertrack, Skytrak though any of those are light years ahead of the old ELT mandate.

If every search could be focused to the most recent tracking ping, would the outcome improve? Would the money saved on searches buy everyone a tracking device?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”