Up to 300 new hires in 2022

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Up to 300 new hires in 2022

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

17 yr exclusive contract is great, but pilot desire to go to Jazz is waning from anything less than fairly low time crew, who's only goal is to transition asap to AC.

So long term experience is starting to be filled by gobs of inexperience.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:23 pm 17 yr exclusive contract is great, but pilot desire to go to Jazz is waning from anything less than fairly low time crew, who's only goal is to transition asap to AC.

So long term experience is starting to be filled by gobs of inexperience.
Ultimately, the best arrangement for Jazz pilots would be a staple (perpetual bidding rights at mainline. All new-hires BOTL behind the staple - effectively the WJ/Encore arrangement). That is not going to happen and does not appear to have worked well on that property.

So what it leaves is either do nothing (is that really the best outcome for all concerned?) or an update (improvement) on status quo that provides transparency, predictability, stability, and sensible gains for each of the 4 affected parties.

I am way past the outcome of this to matter in my career, but that should not stop those in charge from taking responsibility and looking beyond the 12 month horizon out to the longer term horizon.

AC knows it has to pay more. ACPA wants mainline pay improvements. Jazz know it has to pay more, particularly in year 1-4. AC needs 1000+ pilots over the next 24 months and probably up to 1500 over 48 months. Jazz needs pilots and they need pilots qualified (and experienced) to fill the left seat. Surely somewhere in all of these ‘needs’ there is a common sense solution?

No signs so far that this will progress beyond a web board discussion. That is a shame.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

rudder wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am AC should only…

Express operation protected. AC gets best candidates.
All flow should be scrapped. A tough pill to swallow for sure but better for us all in the long run.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

lownslow wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:34 am

All flow should be scrapped. A tough pill to swallow for sure but better for us all in the long run.

That isn’t going to happen. Air Canada controls who they hire. There is a shortage and retention at feeders is an issue. Air Canada will continue to leverage a future job at AC to its own advantage. They will do so because it is in there best interest to do so.

They know this. Their current problem is that the inadequate pay at Jazz has stopped the bottom filling up with quickly upgradable pilots, which in turn has stopped the ability to flow to AC, which in turn makes Jazz even less attractive to new quickly upgradable applicants. Air Canada has lost, or is losing, its ability to leverage a future job as a retention mechanism.

The longer AC let’s this cycle continue the worse things will get. Eventually they will have to fix the pay issue. Although we very likely will see some repatriation of regional routes into Air Canada. Air Canada still needs a regional.

In the past Air Canada has used a job at AC as a carrot to extract lower wages. The US carriers did the same. Today’s world is different. They have to compete far more for pilots. They will have to pay. Flow through will be leveraged no longer for lower pay but rather retention.

In the past flow through was used to extract lower wages. It wasn’t good for anyone. So long as flow is used for retention in the future, rather than extracting lower wages, it becomes benign to the profession.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Management’s (collective) come-to-Jesus moment was always going to arrive at some point. That point was 2022 elsewhere, and looks to be 2023 or maybe 2024 in Canada. It’s an inevitability.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

lownslow wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:34 am

Flow unofficially does not exist. It’s much harder to get hired to AC from jazz than any other place, even being unemployed is probably easier.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:26 am :mrgreen:
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:16 pm
garfield wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:46 pm

200 hours cadets?
It looks like some mid career FOs from WS may be considering the move due to mismanagement at WS. Transat has lost some appeal due to long term stability and Porter hans't fired up it's Embraers yet. So I think the pool is still decent 705 experience, with some 3-4K 704. It'll be interesting come fall to see when business is back to normal. Probably close to 80% Jazz, 20% OTS.
Why would WS pilots consider AC and not the USA?
Can't quite tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...? :roll:

MrA

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

MrAviator19 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:41 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:26 am Why would WS pilots consider AC and not the USA?

MrA
My money is on not understanding the challenges of getting a green card.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm
MrAviator19 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:41 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:26 am Why would WS pilots consider AC and not the USA?

MrA
My money is on not understanding the challenges of getting a green card.
If only I could convince my wife to let me marry an American to "secure" our future... :cry:

MrA

Return to “Air Canada”