Days off given while on the road

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Days off given while on the road

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:43 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:21 am I've often given consideration to a corporate or managed gig. However regardless of the make & model or size of the paycheque a three crew setup is essential, not a perk

At minimum... 3 1/2 or 4 is better.

Think of days off, vacation days, training (sometimes bi-annually), sick personnel etc.
This.
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Buy a multi million dollar jet with all the latest safety gear, spend 1000's of dollars on fuel, ATC fees, landing fee's, 1000's of dollars on catering, and then cheap out on your flight crew. The last link in getting you safely to your destination. :roll:

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Pilots and for that matter PAOBD are viewed as a necessary evil to be "sourced" at the lowest possible cost to or by the principle and with cost "recovery" by any means possible.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

J31 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:10 am Buy a multi million dollar jet with all the latest safety gear, spend 1000's of dollars on fuel, ATC fees, landing fee's, 1000's of dollars on catering, and then cheap out on your flight crew. The last link in getting you safely to your destination. :roll:
Sounds like a valid argument, but it isn't. No flight crew is going to say "well, they don't pay me enough, so now I'm intentionally crashing the plane". The flight crew's own life is at stake, so no matter how bad the pay or schedule, they'll try to land the plane safely.

If anything, you'd want to make sure your AME is well paid, he can walk away from the job if he's fed up, and cause hidden dangerous situations without suffering the consequences.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:21 am
J31 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:10 am Buy a multi million dollar jet with all the latest safety gear, spend 1000's of dollars on fuel, ATC fees, landing fee's, 1000's of dollars on catering, and then cheap out on your flight crew. The last link in getting you safely to your destination. :roll:
Sounds like a valid argument, but it isn't. No flight crew is going to say "well, they don't pay me enough, so now I'm intentionally crashing the plane". The flight crew's own life is at stake, so no matter how bad the pay or schedule, they'll try to land the plane safely.

If anything, you'd want to make sure your AME is well paid, he can walk away from the job if he's fed up, and cause hidden dangerous situations without suffering the consequences.
Not saying the pilot will intentionally crash the airplane. I also acknowledge it is hard to justify a business case when the airplane fly's 2 days per week. I am saying that having pilots that have a scheduled days off in their life are less likely to make fatal errors. Being on call 24/7 365 days per year sucks. Been there, done that, never again. My opinion.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:21 am

However you get what you pay for, a lesser pilot can burn through a lot of operating capital and be rough as hell on that multi-million dollar assest

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

If we have to take days off on the road because of CARS requirements, they are hard days off. No calls, no work, drink all you want. We are then given the days back as lieu days to be booked off on the schedule. Fair deal I think.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Topoff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:05 am If we have to take days off on the road because of CARS requirements, they are hard days off. No calls, no work, drink all you want. We are then given the days back as lieu days to be booked off on the schedule. Fair deal I think.
Exactly, I get my CARS reset while I'm drinking beer and then I get my GDOs on top of that. 16 days of work included 2 days of well planned beer drinking. Then I go home a drink more beer on my days off. If my company choses to put me on call when I'm away, there's a financial cost and no CARs reset.

In the end getting a CARS reset on the road might out me in a hotel a couple of more days a month but if I was on shorter pairings I'd actually have to fly all 16 days vs 12-13. I'm not here to build time anymore but I sure need to work on my sand wedge....

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

Topoff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:05 am If we have to take days off on the road because of CARS requirements, they are hard days off. No calls, no work, drink all you want. We are then given the days back as lieu days to be booked off on the schedule. Fair deal I think.
That actually sounds pretty good. Get a rest mid trip, and STILL get those days back. Since you taking your CARS rest at a time that benefits your company, that is a more than fair way to do it. Sounds like you work for a pretty good operation.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

bobcaygeon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:27 am but I sure need to work on my sand wedge....
Driver gets me in the most trouble. I'm like a 747 off the tee, its going to go a ways, but I need the room for it to land lol.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Apparently, they “have to set a strong precedent”…. Well I too can set one by rejecting working for them

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Hours of averaging I bet

Return to “General Comments”