Documents required for Air Canada interview

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Documents required for Air Canada interview

Post by skylight »

I am getting myself ready for the Air Canada interviews, and I wonder what documents are required to be brought in. (Licenses, logbooks of course, but how about driving records, letters of recommendation, etc.) Would anyone who's gone through the procedure before please throw some light on the documents i should keep ready?
Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Documents required for Air Canada interview

Post by Sharklasers »

They will send you a letter with all that’s required but a two big ones that guys get stuck on are the logbook which needs to be certified by everyplace you’ve ever worked (hopefully they are still in business) and a copy of your high school diploma plus any other post secondary diplomas you might have. My knew a man who’s high school had shut down and it became a real process to get it.

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

Sharklasers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 am They will send you a letter with all that’s required but a two big ones that guys get stuck on are the logbook which needs to be certified by everyplace you’ve ever worked (hopefully they are still in business) and a copy of your high school diploma plus any other post secondary diplomas you might have. My knew a man who’s high school had shut down and it became a real process to get it.
This is false. My logbook was missing some signatures because the operator was no longer around and they said my signature attesting it was true and correct was fine. It was no different than what was required when applying for my atpl with TC. I also did not bring my HS diploma or and records of schooling at all for that matter. Nor did they ask for it. This was not long ago, so unless they've changed things none of what you say is true. And based on info from some freinds interviewing lately from Jazz, it's still the same.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

elonmusk wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:47 am
Sharklasers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:53 am They will send you a letter with all that’s required but a two big ones that guys get stuck on are the logbook which needs to be certified by everyplace you’ve ever worked (hopefully they are still in business) and a copy of your high school diploma plus any other post secondary diplomas you might have. My knew a man who’s high school had shut down and it became a real process to get it.
This is false. My logbook was missing some signatures because the operator was no longer around and they said my signature attesting it was true and correct was fine. It was no different than what was required when applying for my atpl with TC. I also did not bring my HS diploma or and records of schooling at all for that matter. Nor did they ask for it. This was not long ago, so unless they've changed things none of what you say is true. And based on info from some freinds interviewing lately from Jazz, it's still the same.
Maybe Jazz interviewees are different.

They won't sweat it if you are missing a certification of your logbook from an operator for a reason like they are out of business - I had 2 like that - but they want to see it signed if at all possible. Either way, don't risk it, get your logbook done from past jobs now and save the race FedExing it around the country the week before you interview.

You will be asked for your post secondary diploma and transcripts and if you didn't finish or attend post secondary, they will probably ask for your highschool diploma and transcripts.

Bring a copy of your resume.

Bring letters of reference.

Bring multiple copies so you can provide one to each interviewer.

Good luck.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

They want little post it notes in your log book on what you think are key developments in your career as a future AC pilot. Make a list of those accomplishments to go with the mini post its, or those clear/ colour coded stick on arrow page markers. I went full electronic log book years ago so a lot of the interview prep was getting that thing printed off at the local print shop and bound together. Pain in the wazoo.

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

That's good to know. Thank you everyone!

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

Just to add to the above, I got called for the interview, and I am being asked an unexpected piece of documentation:
C1/D visa (as I am a PR, and not a citizen yet)

Given the long wait times in Canada for the US visa appointment, I will not be able to get it before September! I wish I had known earlier, could have gotten into the queue earlier...lol.

Either way, any PR planning to apply to AC should consider getting the C1/D visa for the US.

Slowprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slowprop »

Have your logbook certified by all your employer.

I had issue getting hire at Jazz and AC because I was missing some signature and it delayed my hiring date for that reason

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

co-joe wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 am They want little post it notes in your log book on what you think are key developments in your career as a future AC pilot. Make a list of those accomplishments to go with the mini post its, or those clear/ colour coded stick on arrow page markers. I went full electronic log book years ago so a lot of the interview prep was getting that thing printed off at the local print shop and bound together. Pain in the wazoo.
Wow in this day and age they won’t accept digital log books? I didn’t think anyone was still bothering with log book signatures. I hope when people make it to ground school they ask for all company manuals to be printed off for them to return the favour :lol:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

skylight wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:55 am Just to add to the above, I got called for the interview, and I am being asked an unexpected piece of documentation:

Given the long wait times in Canada for the US visa appointment, I will not be able to get it before September! I wish I had known earlier, could have gotten into the queue earlier...lol.

Either way, any PR planning to apply to AC should consider getting the C1/D visa for the US.
How do you expect to get a C1/D visa without a letter from your employer?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:09 am
skylight wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:55 am Just to add to the above, I got called for the interview, and I am being asked an unexpected piece of documentation:

You're right. C1/D requires a letter from the employer. I have written to AC. The HR presonnel says she will discuss with Flt Ops and get back to me. I think I will have a better idea at the interview. keeping my fingers crossed.

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

skylight wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:56 am
digits_ wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:09 am

You're right. C1/D requires a letter from the employer. I have written to AC. The HR presonnel says she will discuss with Flt Ops and get back to me. I think I will have a better idea at the interview. keeping my fingers crossed.
My ex-gf was hired at Jazz without a C1/D. I know it's not AC, but like you said you can't get it without having a job. It's a crew visa. You're not crew until you have a job. Jazz dealt with all the paperwork, and it did take a few months but eventually came through.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:09 am
co-joe wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 am They want little post it notes in your log book on what you think are key developments in your career as a future AC pilot. Make a list of those accomplishments to go with the mini post its, or those clear/ colour coded stick on arrow page markers. I went full electronic log book years ago so a lot of the interview prep was getting that thing printed off at the local print shop and bound together. Pain in the wazoo.
Wow in this day and age they won’t accept digital log books? I didn’t think anyone was still bothering with log book signatures. I hope when people make it to ground school they ask for all company manuals to be printed off for them to return the favour :lol:
That is a good question. I am not sure what they require for log book authentication now. Even a few years ago most pilots still kept paper log books, but I bet nobody does now.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:09 am
Just print out your digital logbook and get the signatures on the printout.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

Apparently, Air Canada also requires you to print your Transport Canada file that shows history of all your PPC's (passed or failed), and written exams grades (ppl,cpl,atpl etc).

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

CanadianPilotQc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:28 pm Apparently, Air Canada also requires you to print your Transport Canada file that shows history of all your PPC's (passed or failed), and written exams grades (ppl,cpl,atpl etc).
You're right. And receiving the authentication code for the TC account apparently takes ages. It's been more than a week for me.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

CanadianPilotQc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:28 pm Apparently, Air Canada also requires you to print your Transport Canada file that shows history of all your PPC's (passed or failed), and written exams grades (ppl,cpl,atpl etc).
Interesting...

So if you failed a ride or a written exam, you can't get in AC anymore?

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

Just an update:

Went through the interview without the visa, and was able to check with the Pilot Recruitment Manager. I will need to produce the C1/D before i start flying with AC. So i guess i will have about 2months after the job offer.

skylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skylight »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 pm
Interesting...

No, you still can. You just will need to explain to them why you failed, and what you did to improve.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

skylight wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:11 am
kiaszceski wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 pm
Interesting...

No, you still can. You just will need to explain to them why you failed, and what you did to improve.
So, let me get this right, they ask you to provide this file? If you’ve failed a ride / test explain your reasons why and how you improved and your still competitive for getting hired? I wasn’t sure this was something that could be released to potential employers

Return to “Air Canada”