altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Public shock/Delta FA’s paid during boarding

Post by altiplano »

digits_ wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:33 pm
altiplano wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:32 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:55 pm

Imagine if the situation was reversed though. If the system was established that you got paid per duty hour, and then someone suggested you would get paid per flight hour.

I'm sure someone would bring up 'but hey, they might have us sitting in a terminal for 6 hours for free! don't do this!'

If anything, getting paid per hour at work, is the standard for most employees. Being paid per flight hour, is the deviation from the 'worforce norm' so to speak.

Both sides undoubtedly can come up with situations in which you would be worse or better off than before. But I think the desire for being paid for the time spent at work is quite understandable.
A lot of people are also paid based on productivity, and that's how we're paid. The formula pay system is based on pilots being compensated relative to the potential of their production. weight/speed/etc.

Trip and duty rigs are the way we protect ourselves from wasting time not being productive.
The funny thing is though, the less productive a pilot is (fly slower, don't accept shortcuts etc), the more money he will make...

Who else is paid based on productivity? Sales employees usually get a commission, but that's the only big group I can think of.
I think your examples for being unproductive are ridiculous. Company actually tells us not to take "shortcuts" and follow the filed route... even if we make a couple minutes on a flight, it's minimal in the whole cost of things and indeed we are being productive because we are providing lift for people and cargo.

More than sales people are paid on productivity and earnings, think harder I guess...
---------- ADS -----------

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

[/quote]
The funny thing is though, the less productive a pilot is (fly slower, don't accept shortcuts etc), the more money he will make...

Who else is paid based on productivity? Sales employees usually get a commission, but that's the only big group I can think of.
[/quote]

General Practitioners, Orthodontists, Some automotive mechanics, small business owners, framers, etc.... anything that's per job.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

bobcaygeon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 am
General Practitioners, Orthodontists, Some automotive mechanics, small business owners, framers, etc.... anything that's per job.
Those are usually self-employed/business owners. If they employ other people, those employees are paid per hour as well.

Pilots are employees.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:55 am
bobcaygeon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 am
Those are usually self-employed/business owners. If they employ other people, those employees are paid per hour as well.

Pilots are employees.
In sales it's called being "On Commission". I personally don't mind a blend because I hate getting paid the same as the person who sluffs off their work, uses lots of sick days, and does as little as possible.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Mechanics paid flat rate make their money based on production.

Truckers paid per trip.

Fruit pickers paid by the kilogram.

Tree planters paid per tree.

Need more examples, let me know.

Whitney
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

With the exception of truckers, all other employees are in direct control on how efficient they work. And the more efficient they are, the more they make.

Pilots don't control how much or where they fly. And the more efficient they are, the less money they make (although the difference is likely insignificant)

But fair enough, there are other groups that are paid differently. Then again, are we going to deny that the majority of the work force is paid per hour spent at work? Or that being paid per hour spent at work is the standard way of doing things for employees?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”