Future

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Future

Post by Old fella »

Hello airlines, this may be one of your new flight crew issues going forward, matter of fact I bet it will be.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6432976
---------- ADS -----------

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Future

Post by tsgarp »

Easy solution; Issue a valid medical to anyone with a pulse and we all keep flying until we die.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Actually the issue is finding qualified pilots to replace those leaving due retirement. I don’t know the average ages of those in airline cockpits now or average age of new hires but competition will be keen amongst all industries for those twentyish something scarce youngins regardless.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

I don't think this is a very attractive industry for someone who is thinking about careers choices after highs school.

Glorified bus drivers... Except you pay tens of thousands for your license, and the first 8 years of your career you are paid less than a go transit bus driver.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Single pilot airliners and eventually zero pilot airliners.

Problem solved.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I don't think it's a lack of pilots still but lack of pay.

Why fly an airplane around with 150 passengers for $50K / year when you can drive a truck for $100K + to start?

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

Because it's not 100k to start, it's about 40k, if you don't have experience, Jason.

I understand take-home isn't the 'total compensation', I've heard of guys leaving where I'm at to go to 705s. To follow if I so wanted, I would end up taking a 60% pay cut, to move to a larger city, with one of the highest costs of living in canada. It's not a "Supply" issue, it's pilots not being able to afford to take the pay cut, and airline mgmt going "hurr durr, how do we fix this? Why can't we attract anyone?"

I understand it's a 'move now, it's only going to get worse', however, even if I went to Jazz at flat pay, it's what, 50/yr right now? The difference is (at LEAST) 200k over four years. Is that loss worth it, and how long to recoup that loss? (Answer will vary from pilot to pilot)

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I know someone with a CPL that gave up on it and drove truck last year. He make $100K in his first year.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Unionized electricians just negotiated an 8 percent raise. They will make an extra 12k a year, or 6 bucks an hour according to this article.

https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn ... h-ici-deal

Unfortunately at some airlines, new hire FO wages wouldn’t even increase by half that with an 8 percent increase.

Young people should pay attention.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

JasonE wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:36 pm I know someone with a CPL that gave up on it and drove truck last year. He make $100K in his first year.
I'm not saying "You **CANT**", I'm saying it is the outlier. I'm going to presume it's not dryvan, and it's not the very first CDL job he has had?

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

I love the truck driver comparison.

Go be a truck driver then, and come back and tell us how great it is.

Yes, I've done both.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Rocinante wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:28 pm
JasonE wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:36 pm I know someone with a CPL that gave up on it and drove truck last year. He make $100K in his first year.
I'm not saying "You **CANT**", I'm saying it is the outlier. I'm going to presume it's not dryvan, and it's not the very first CDL job he has had?
Bison is paying 63 cents per mile on US runs for starting pay dry van. First job. Thats damn near to 100k. Its changed drastically in the past 5 years man.

Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

.63cpm, company driver, solo, without bonuses? jeeez, I won't tell you who, but I remember being bent over and making .34cpm trying to figure out rent at one time. Shit has changed a lot in the last 6 yrs.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Rocinante wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:13 pm .63cpm, company driver, solo, without bonuses? jeeez, I won't tell you who, but I remember being bent over and making .34cpm trying to figure out rent at one time. Shit has changed a lot in the last 6 yrs.
Yup and when I started in 2012 bison was still paying 25-30. I started at 35 with my first company. Left in 2019 at 45-48 base.

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

The young lady that I raised, basically my daughter, began driving truck last July, and makes on average $11,000 per month, plus a bonus for every 6 months she is accident and injury free.

Whitney

Return to “General Comments”