Cherokee 140 near Sioux Lookout

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cherokee 140 near Sioux Lookout

Post by linecrew »

ShawnR wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:33 am Interesting....the aviation-safety-net link above says it is a Warrior 161."
The text appears to have been updated to the correct version of the Cherokee. Nothing in the CADORS yet.
---------- ADS -----------

freakonature
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by freakonature »

Does anyone know if this was the pilots airplane?

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Does anyone know if this was the pilots airplane?
No. Pilot has been identified and the airplane owner has been identified on the media links posted (CBC, Vancouver Sun, etc).

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I seems that the occupants were from a non traditional sector of our society:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6441818

I expect that there were unusual pressures to continue a "private" (clandestine?) flight...

ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

Oh clandestine flights have been successfully (and unsuccessfully) happening for a while now. Incidents like these may start tightening security among GA as seen in other parts of the world… unfortunate

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What’s the difference between a clandestine flight and a clandestine road trip? Why would flying require more security than getting in a car?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

ICUP wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 am Oh clandestine flights have been successfully (and unsuccessfully) happening for a while now. Incidents like these may start tightening security among GA as seen in other parts of the world… unfortunate
Hopefully not. Those "other parts of the world" don't allow things like night time VFR flights, etc... There are always going to be naughty people doing naughty things in planes. No need to punish the rest of the GA community for the odd bad apple.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ICUP wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 am Oh clandestine flights have been successfully (and unsuccessfully) happening for a while now. Incidents like these may start tightening security among GA as seen in other parts of the world… unfortunate
I'm curious. In what other parts of the world would this flight not have been possible?

I don't know of any Western country where you have a passport checked for a national flight from a small local airport.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:50 am I seems that the occupants were from a non traditional sector of our society:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6441818

I expect that there were unusual pressures to continue a "private" (clandestine?) flight...
Says that both TSB and OPP are investigating. This stuff drives me wild. OPP I can see, as there might be other intel that can be gleaned from the connections between these jokers. But TSB - does it really matter? I'd say, from a nationalistic point of view, the universe did us all a favour by ending the oxygen thievery of these ne'er-do-wells. Haul their bodies out, and pass them on to next of kin, end of story..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

mmm..bacon wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 am But TSB - does it really matter?
It makes a huge difference on flight safety if the pilot was either the criminal, willingly helping the criminal, or being forced to do so against his will.

Even if the investigation might be trivial, I would be happy that an investigation takes place.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I doubt the TSB will look into matters of criminality. But an accident where four deaths occurred needs investigation as to cause.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Mike Flynn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mike Flynn »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:27 am
mmm..bacon wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 am But TSB - does it really matter?
It makes a huge difference on flight safety if the pilot was either the criminal, willingly helping the criminal, or being forced to do so against his will.

Even if the investigation might be trivial, I would be happy that an investigation takes place.
I suspect the pilot was hour building and took the job in good faith. However very few Cherokee drivers are reckless enough to fly across remote parts at that time of the night four up in a PA28-140.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 am I doubt the TSB will look into matters of criminality. But an accident where four deaths occurred needs investigation as to cause.
Would a 'normal' hijacking without a crash fall under their jurisdiction for investigation?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:04 am
photofly wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:42 am I doubt the TSB will look into matters of criminality. But an accident where four deaths occurred needs investigation as to cause.
Would a 'normal' hijacking without a crash fall under their jurisdiction for investigation?
If you look at the TSB's policy (https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/lois-acts/eve ... ences.html) then that would be an "incident" on the basis that "a crew member declares an emergency".

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

pelmet wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:43 pm Thai news reports that he may have been suicidal. I wonder what he was doing in an Cherokee 140 with three other people. Perhaps the last few minutes of the flight were more interesting than initially thought.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... ice-looms/
He was on Canada's Most Wanted list. Likely can't fly commercial, so paid someone to fly him in a Cherokee.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

elonmusk wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:23 pm
pelmet wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:43 pm Thai news reports that he may have been suicidal. I wonder what he was doing in an Cherokee 140 with three other people. Perhaps the last few minutes of the flight were more interesting than initially thought.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... ice-looms/
He was on Canada's Most Wanted list. Likely can't fly commercial, so paid someone to fly him in a Cherokee.
He should have been a bit more generous and hired himself a bigger airplane, then. Four up, a 140 won't have fuel to go far. A 140 isn't really an alternative to a commercial flight; driving would probably be a closer analogue.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

[quote=digits_ post_id=1193668 time=1651773890 user_id=34065]
[quote=photofly post_id=1193653 time=1651768954 user_id=33762]
I doubt the TSB will look into matters of criminality. But an accident where four deaths occurred needs investigation as to cause.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty sure hijacked pilots don't file flight plans? Only stupid criminals hiding from the law.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Hmm that airplane was getting around.....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10259247

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

J31 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 pm Hmm that airplane was getting around....
It was based in Ontario until last year, then has a new owner as of Dec 31 and based in the Lower Mainland of BC. The registered owner wasn't on the plane when it crashed, and it doesn't seem like any of them were related to her. So it's possible the plane was being offered for block time to Commercial students building time. The two pilots on board seem to be foreign students.

The plane apparently was loaded and left from Delta Airpark in the lower mainland on or around the 23rd of April. If it was some kind of clandestine flight, Delta would be a good insecure place to start from. Nobody would see you, and you could depart with transponder off and disappear east quite easily.

Flightaware tracks show that they used the transponder at least a few times enroute, including on the fatal leg, so either staying hidden wasn't really a concern, or someone wanted them to be seen.

Could the pilots have been coerced into taking the criminals for a ride? Or maybe the passengers hired them to fly to Ontario? It would be a great time-building trip for the Commercial students.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Very good theory.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”