Upgrades

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Upgrades

Post by powerbrian »

With everything that has been going on, what are the upgrade times looking like these days? Moving forward in the next few years... Does anyone have rough projections on approx. how many years of service will hold a left seat? Thanks.

Brian
---------- ADS -----------

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Upgrades

Post by ReturnoftheMike »

If ACPA and the old boys club can keep things smooth with management, we should expect rapid advancement with promises of capturing flying.

The cargo "deal" demonstrated this sound strategy of taking concessions for more flying. It was brilliant logic and hopefully we continue this trend with support of the YVR & YUL Chairs. They have stepped up since my departure with their relationship with management

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

That's great Mike, another great political answer with no figures attached to it but hey we're used to this.

To the OP: Most junior awarded left seat is May 2018 DOH from the March bid. So less than 4 years when bid was run. I think we can reasonably expect most junior awarded left seat to go down to say 3.5 years at the company before the end of the year and be reasonably stable after that.
Now everybody knows very little were hired in 2020, none in 2021. So in reality this might end up going down to a 2 year upgrade in disguise.

thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

ReturnoftheMike

Have a question for you, test your knowledge.

Who was the MEC chair that oversaw the -10% cargo deal.....one hint not McKay.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Limited course rights has allowed Captain positions to go more junior than expected. 1 NB Captain course right is distributed amongst 4 different types (Rouge 320s have their own list, even with the same pay rates as mainline for the time being)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

thrust set wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:25 am ReturnoftheMike

Not sure what you're getting at, but McKay absolutely was MEC Chair during the -10% cargo let. He also censured the YYZ councillors that came out against it at the time, took their letter right to the company!

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Look up MEC Newsletter 2020 #36

Cargo LOU ratification vote.

“ The ratification vote is now underway, and members are reminded that the following resources have been made available, including:”

At the bottom…. MEC Chair - MM

So the vote for the cargo LOU was open for ratification while he was the Chair. As well as everything leading up to it.
44FAED05-53D7-42C0-82AF-4BF0F0D9584F.jpeg
44FAED05-53D7-42C0-82AF-4BF0F0D9584F.jpeg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 3910 times

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm quite offended that you are not honoring my regime and its accomplishments

Not only did we save the company money by reducing the money into the pockets to members, we also successfully got the furloughs nothing. No wage subsidy for those suckers because they need to pay their dues while us fat cats worked hard from home at 82 hrs

We also brought in the innovative "Best Fit" agreement and got the company something they have been drooling for - for eons. I begged for it to be called "Best Fit for the Company" but my fellow base chairs thought that was bad optics so alas we settled with just "Best Fit".

At least we screwed the the junior losers with only 75 hrs on reserve. That generation needs to keep paying their dues!!

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Hey Mike,

Remember your famous line ‘does it really effect us, we’ll be gone in 2 years’

This pretty much sums up his tenure.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Lol,

Are you guys sure return of the Mike isn’t the same guy/copy cat that was sarcastically playing with the Clark767 username?

I’m not sure if the intent is humour. I find it funny in an ACPA self deprecating way. Or if the intent is just to piss everyone off.

Entertaining either way.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

powerbrian wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:43 pm With everything that has been going on, what are the upgrade times looking like these days? Moving forward in the next few years... Does anyone have rough projections on approx. how many years of service will hold a left seat? Thanks.

Brian
Brian,

Because of our contract, very junior positions on any fleet type or seat go way junior in the last 10%. It does so because of how undesirable these positions are from a lifestyle perspective.

Unless our contract changes into the future. Higher daily guarantee and better pairing quality this situation will remain.

If the ghost of (return of the) Mike has their way these positions will stay undesirable for generations to come.

The real question is when you have the opportunity, will you actually want it?

Last edited by Fanblade on Mon May 09, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

RVR6000 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 am Hey Mike,

No. That was KV.

Hard to imagine getting worse than him... yet somehow MM topped him.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

altiplano wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:14 am

No. That was KV.

Ahhh getting the ‘wise guys’ confused.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

Brian…in addition to “can you hold it,” and “do you want to,” add “am I up for it.” If you are relatively new to the company and have never sat in the left seat of a transport category airplane, you need to be willing to work really hard. Probably harder than anything else you have done in aviation. Just before Covid, the narrow body upgrade failure rate was north of 50%. A huge part of this was the shallow backgrounds of the junior pilots bidding it. Don’t bid it until you are ready to.

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

sportingrifle wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:41 pm Just before Covid, the narrow body upgrade failure rate was north of 50%.
No it wasn't. Closer to 30%.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Work to live don't live to work.

At the end of the day the work life balance is the one thing that will most affect your personal well being and so it is almost always better to be senior on a junior position than junior on a senior one.

Finally the most unhappy pilots I know were the ones whose sense of self worth was tied to what seat they sat in.

elonmusk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by elonmusk »

altiplano wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:14 am

No. That was KV.

MM makes KV sound like a unionist.

Col. Panic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Col. Panic »

ReturnoftheMike wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:16 am

Not only did we save the company money by reducing the money into the pockets to members, we also successfully got the furloughs nothing. No wage subsidy for those suckers because they need to pay their dues while us fat cats worked hard from home at 82 hrs

We also brought in the innovative "Best Fit" agreement and got the company something they have been drooling for - for eons. I begged for it to be called "Best Fit for the Company" but my fellow base chairs thought that was bad optics so alas we settled with just "Best Fit".

At least we screwed the the junior losers with only 75 hrs on reserve. That generation needs to keep paying their dues!!
I think there was a typo when they first wrote this up, and have stuck with it for whatever reason! It should be spelled “Best Fist”!

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by powerbrian »

^. All valid comments regarding lifestyle and being ready for an upgrade. The unfortunate part is I think a lot of people try for it when they aren’t ready for the sole reason of avoiding flat pay….

A work life balance is important… but there is neither when taking a 100,000 pay cut to fly at AC. 50,000$ doesn’t afford much “ life” in that equation. It’s the unfortunate nature of the situation I guess.

Thank you everyone for their insight. I know it’s impossible to project these things in our current world.

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

Col. Panic wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:37 pm
ReturnoftheMike wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:16 am

I think there was a typo when they first wrote this up, and have stuck with it for whatever reason! It should be spelled “Best Fist”!

I am offended with that derogatory term of Best Fit after we slaved away at 82 hrs of widebody pay. You ungrateful fool

You know how hard it is to work from home from your cottage? Ask the YVR Chair.

At least we crammed in a solid pay cut and another division for Cargo.

The membership should ever be so thankful of the solid work of me and the boyz

Return to “Air Canada”