Mainline hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Mainline hiring

Post by aerobod »

goingmissed wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 pm
aerobod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm Positions being posted then disappearing has nothing at all to do with whether the position is filled or any disorganisation from WS corporate HR. Over my years at WS, I recruited about 100 people to my IT teams. Each posting has a lifecycle to collect resumes, interview people who seem like prospects and decide on those who will go to 2nd interview or receive offers. Typically the posting would only stay open for 2 weeks for each cycle, then be posted again if the relevant number of people in the recruitment pipeline was too little.

Collecting too many resumes at one time is a problem in terms of the HR team capacity and the capability of the hiring dept to process enough applicants to not leave those applying for a job too long without contact or interview.
I get the argument, but that seems like a poor decision. Why would you prevent potentially great applicants from applying just because you have a pool of good applicants?
If applicants are well qualified and motivated, they would apply when a job posting is open. If it is a position that is often recruited for, then there will be plenty of future opportunities. Running a more batch orientated process tends to be more efficient and predictable in recruiting in my experience, as it is easier to compare candidates back-to-back and reserve specific blocks for interviews that don’t disrupt the work that the dept filling the vacancies has to accomplish.
---------- ADS -----------

truecolours
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by truecolours »

aerobod wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm Positions being posted then disappearing has nothing at all to do with whether the position is filled or any disorganisation from WS corporate HR. Over my years at WS, I recruited about 100 people to my IT teams. Each posting has a lifecycle to collect resumes, interview people who seem like prospects and decide on those who will go to 2nd interview or receive offers. Typically the posting would only stay open for 2 weeks for each cycle, then be posted again if the relevant number of people in the recruitment pipeline was too little.

Collecting too many resumes at one time is a problem in terms of the HR team capacity and the capability of the hiring dept to process enough applicants to not leave those applying for a job too long without contact or interview.
Perhaps, BUT we are not just talking about ONE position or department. The company has essentially halted hiring in the last week. Some postings were closed before the original closing date.

Buckle up.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

truecolours wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am I think a major indicator of a company's well-being (and economy as a whole) is recruitment.

Just a few weeks ago we were advertising pilot positions for most companies within the group. Paid ads on linked in, etc. There were nearly 100 positions open across the group (all departments). Take a look today and you'll see no pilot positions posted and a whopping total of 13 open positions across the company.
737 FO job posting is back up as of Aug 12. (No posting for Encore or Swoop at the moment)

Newchallenge
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Newchallenge »

Been in the pool for a few weeks now. Just wondering how long on average folks have been waiting in the pool before being offered a GS date.

SkyBagPiper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyBagPiper »

With about 30 '37s on order, not including the extra 15 received this year, I doubt that hiring has been closed on a long run.

Looking at the spectrum nationally and internationally; there are staff shortages in aviation in all departments.

Now that AC is open again, I bet you many in the WS system have or are applying; further deepening the staff shortages; regardless of the SWG merger etc....

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

We were told 400 new hires to WJ alone next year. Not including swoop or Encore.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I am a Jazz captain and I received an interview request for mainline WestJet. Just wondering what the current first year take home monthly pay is (assuming the full WSP contribution). Also are upgrade times still 10 years in YYZ and is there lots of opportunity to work overtime? Thanks!

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

WestJet is very smart to try and capitalize on kneejerk Jazz quitters due to no flow October.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

I applied last week the day the posting was put out, but I was missing one of the hour requirements so understandably I was likely auto filtered out - status almost immediately went to "unsuccessful at this time" and I received a rejection email.

Checked my account for the heck of it today and noticed that my application status changed to "in progress". Has this happened for anyone else? Am I just reading in to it too much or does this mean I might actually be in the running?

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

FL030 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:28 pm WestJet is very smart to try and capitalize on kneejerk Jazz quitters due to no flow October.
That's because they need to get talent back in the door as Encore captains are going to AC and first officers to Flair.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

RockSalty wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm I applied last week the day the posting was put out, but I was missing one of the hour requirements so understandably I was likely auto filtered out - status almost immediately went to "unsuccessful at this time" and I received a rejection email.

Checked my account for the heck of it today and noticed that my application status changed to "in progress". Has this happened for anyone else? Am I just reading in to it too much or does this mean I might actually be in the running?
Maybe there is another posting with lower requirements?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

fish4life wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:29 pm
RockSalty wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm I applied last week the day the posting was put out, but I was missing one of the hour requirements so understandably I was likely auto filtered out - status almost immediately went to "unsuccessful at this time" and I received a rejection email.

Maybe there is another posting with lower requirements?
Not sure if that'd be it, the application still links to the same job posting.

Fresh Prince of King Air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fresh Prince of King Air »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:18 pm I am a Jazz captain and I received an interview request for mainline WestJet. Just wondering what the current first year take home monthly pay is (assuming the full WSP contribution). Also are upgrade times still 10 years in YYZ and is there lots of opportunity to work overtime? Thanks!
You’d be about $1050 a pay on the 15th and 30/31st.

Perdium is about $800-1000.

Upgrades in YYZ are at 9 years right now. Likely to trend higher as it seems all the growth is going to be out west.

Usually lots of overtime is always available

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Fresh Prince of King Air wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:14 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:18 pm I am a Jazz captain and I received an interview request for mainline WestJet. Just wondering what the current first year take home monthly pay is (assuming the full WSP contribution). Also are upgrade times still 10 years in YYZ and is there lots of opportunity to work overtime? Thanks!

Upgrades in YYZ are at 9 years right now. Likely to trend higher as it seems all the growth is going to be out west.

Really? $1050? It's $1150 at Encore.

Fresh Prince of King Air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fresh Prince of King Air »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Really? $1050? It's $1150 at Encore.
$64.92x77.5x12x120%=$72,450

-$18,206 for federal, provincial, CPP and EI

-$3200 for STD,LTD and benefits (based on married with one kid)

-1200 in union dues

-24,150 in WSP

=$25,874/24

=$1078

Encore I believe is only 15% WSP which would result in a higher take home.

There’s a $7312 bonus on May 31st that will be prorated in your first year and you can obviously can reduce your benefits and income tax through different selections and tax reductions.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Holy @#$! that's embarrassing.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

negative_g wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:48 pm

Holy @#$! that's embarrassing.
Damn thanks for sharing. Hard to raise a family on that in YYZ, I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

You have to either not do the 20% to increase take home, work overtime, or live with your parents. Those are the only strategies I’ve seen to manage the first 3 years on WJ take home pay. As discussed upgrades are at 9 years for YYZ and a few years longer for YYC. Anyone hired in the last few years has very little chance of seeing a left seat at mainline in my personal opinion. Especially with guys flying well into their 70s, Swoop expansion and no aircraft orders (as far as I’m aware. There was talk of a narrow-body order but it didn’t materialize).

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Guys flying into their 70s?!

FFS.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:47 pm ... As discussed upgrades are at 9 years for YYZ and a few years longer for YYC. ...
15 years, 3 months, and 2 days last I heard.

Return to “WestJet”