Mainline hiring

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Mainline hiring

Post by CXALE »

---------- ADS -----------

Bugsie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Mainline hiring

Post by Bugsie »

Can someone post the pay scales
Thanks

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by slob driver »

C8EB9F92-AA0A-473A-9B88-E11D382E504D.jpeg
C8EB9F92-AA0A-473A-9B88-E11D382E504D.jpeg (223.16 KiB) Viewed 9573 times

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Bugsie wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 am Can someone post the pay scales
Thanks
77.5 Hour MMG with Years Of Service moving over from position to position (eg. complete 3 years as FO and upgrade to captain, start at step 4 captain pay).

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

$60,375? For an FO starting? What does it look like with per diems and whatever else added on?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:18 pm $60,375? For an FO starting? What does it look like with per diems and whatever else added on?
Best not to bank on per diems. Lots of guys on reserve not getting called currently. Right now around 5 years seniority in YYZ will get you off reserve, and it’s 8 years seniority for Calgary. Overtime seems to be an option many people turn to.

truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

At least there’s OPA!

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:18 pm $60,375? For an FO starting? What does it look like with per diems and whatever else added on?
Once you pay for your benefits and rrsp contribution you’ll be lucky to stuff 1000$ in your Levi’s, semi-monthly.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:25 am
Once you pay for your benefits and rrsp contribution you’ll be lucky to stuff 1000$ in your Levi’s, semi-monthly.
:shock:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Well, that certainly makes the decision easy, thank you for the info!

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:26 am
Best not to bank on per diems. Lots of guys on reserve not getting called currently. Right now around 5 years seniority in YYZ will get you off reserve, and it’s 8 years seniority for Calgary. Overtime seems to be an option many people turn to.
Last I checked, WJ pilots have socialized bidding and not seniority based bidding.

While it's completely possible that I'm wrong, I am fairly confident that you are talking out of your glass

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

goingmissed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:23 pm
Last I checked, WJ pilots have socialized bidding and not seniority based bidding.

While it's completely possible that I'm wrong, I am fairly confident that you are talking out of your glass
That is true that we don’t have seniority bidding, but holding reserve is still based off of one’s seniority. The most junior 10% can be on short call and then the next 10% to the lowest 20% can be on long call.

Having done my time through the recovery on Res I can vouch for the lack of perdiems.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Ignoring for one second how god damn rude you are, at what point did I bring up bidding? I mentioned how per diems are low when you’re on reserve, and how many years of seniority it CURRENTLY takes to get off reserve and hold a block, and therefore can bank on some per diems, in answer to the previous question. The socialized bidding at WJ has @#$! all to do with being on reserve.

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

If I was to apply and got hired by WS, would every Encore pilots flowing to mainline with a better hire date jump in front of me seniority wise?

I know at some point they were, then they weren't and then I lost track.

This is not a ding on the Encore pilot community which I respect greatly, I just want to know if I will be BOTL for the years to come.

Cheers,

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

tango308 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am If I was to apply and got hired by WS, would every Encore pilots flowing to mainline with a better hire date jump in front of me seniority wise?

This is not a ding on the Encore pilot community which I respect greatly, I just want to know if I will be BOTL for the years to come.

Cheers,
Yes. Under the current system every Encore pilot that flows who has a hire date before yours will be ahead of you in terms of seniority. Seniority being important for choice of base and the long awaited upgrade (9 years currently). What would be going in your favour is how slowly the Encore pilots will flow across. The latest bid only 8 were allowed to flow for 68 FO vacancies (WJ and Swoop). As captains become in shorter supply at Encore later this year that flow tap may likely be turned off again as has happened frequently in the past.
In short, I wouldn’t be too concerned by Encore guys jumping ahead of you. I’d be more concerned with the take home pay and long wait times to get off reserve.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:13 am

Ignoring for one second how god damn rude you are, at what point did I bring up bidding? I mentioned how per diems are low when you’re on reserve, and how many years of seniority it CURRENTLY takes to get off reserve and hold a block, and therefore can bank on some per diems, in answer to the previous question. The socialized bidding at WJ has @#$! all to do with being on reserve.
Your right, that was very rude of me.

I am sorry for being an ass.

Reserve is a part of the socialized bidding at Little Teal and I assumed it was the same at mainline. Again, I am sorry for my inappropriate response.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

goingmissed wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:57 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:13 am

Your right, that was very rude of me.

I am sorry for being an ass.

Reserve is a part of the socialized bidding at Little Teal and I assumed it was the same at mainline. Again, I am sorry for my inappropriate response.
All good buddy!

Last edited by Canadaflyer46 on Fri May 13, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 am
tango308 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:19 am If I was to apply and got hired by WS, would every Encore pilots flowing to mainline with a better hire date jump in front of me seniority wise?

Cheers,
Yes. Under the current system every Encore pilot that flows who has a hire date before yours will be ahead of you in terms of seniority. Seniority being important for choice of base and the long awaited upgrade (9 years currently). What would be going in your favour is how slowly the Encore pilots will flow across. The latest bid only 8 were allowed to flow for 68 FO vacancies (WJ and Swoop). As captains become in shorter supply at Encore later this year that flow tap may likely be turned off again as has happened frequently in the past.
In short, I wouldn’t be too concerned by Encore guys jumping ahead of you. I’d be more concerned with the take home pay and long wait times to get off reserve.
Thank you for input, much appreciated!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

goingmissed wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:38 pm ...eg. complete 3 years as FO and upgrade to captain, start at step 4 captain pay).
Except upgrades are at more like 10-20 years so anyone upgrading would go at year 10 pay wouldn't they?

Out of curiosity, why isn't flow coming from Encore pilots? Why are you letting them hire off the street at all?

Return to “WestJet”