Leading Edge placed in interim receivership

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

imapo16
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Leading Edge placed in interim receivership

Post by imapo16 »

Bede wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:48 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am All small businesses in Canada are the worst sort of blood sucking scumbags. Every single one.

Government should provide six figure jobs to everyone. Private business should be banned.

Got it. I’m done here.
Why the snowflake act?

No one said anything disparaging business owners in general or you in particular yet you start swinging at imaginary foes.

All anyone is saying is that if you're on the verge of insolvency don't go promising jobs to people. Pretty basic human decency stuff.
Well said.
---------- ADS -----------

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Used to work there a few years back. Was a decent operation in terms of safety and hour building although pay was low. I'm honestly surprised to see them go under as they had a bunch of government contracts at the time.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:38 am All small businesses in Canada are the worst sort of blood sucking scumbags. Every single one.

Government should provide six figure jobs to everyone. Private business should be banned.

Got it. I’m done here.
Why the snowflake act?

No one said anything disparaging business owners in general or you in particular yet you start swinging at imaginary foes.

All anyone is saying is that if you're on the verge of insolvency don't go promising jobs to people. Pretty basic human decency stuff.
That’s rich.

This place is full of posts encouraging people on the best methods to bail on their training bonds, after an employer has invested thousands in training.

Then its the evil small business for just not eating the costs.

Funny ethics never get brought up there, except by a small minority.

In any case i’d rather hear the other side’s spin on this one before passing judgement.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Actually, if you’re on the verge of insolvency you’re duty-bound to do everything you can to protect the interests of your creditors, and human decency can go sit in a corner for a while. If that includes a last ditch attempt to recruit more staff that are needed to increase profitability, not only should you - you must.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 am
Actually, if you’re on the verge of insolvency you’re duty-bound to do everything you can to protect the interests of your creditors, and human decency can go sit in a corner for a while. If that includes a last ditch attempt to recruit more staff that are needed to increase profitability, not only should you - you must.
Yeah but then some no - name brand new CPL might get offended and lose their slot at AC.

Forget the other long standing employee’s the company might be trying to save.

Ever heard “its not all about you” one wants to ask. :roll:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

“Yes, I found out all the tricks of the trade
And that's there's only one way you're gonna get things done
I found out the only way to the top is looking out for #1
And that's me, I'm looking out for #1”

From that fine tune by a well known Canadian singer/songwriter and his group. Applicable in this crazy field of aviation as I see it during my 70 odd years of living.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:10 am
photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 am
Yeah but then some no - name brand new CPL might get offended and lose their slot at AC.

Forget the other long standing employee’s the company might be trying to save.

Ever heard “its not all about you” one wants to ask. :roll:
What's the relevance of the 'no name brand new CPL'? Would your opinion change if it was a 10 000 hour guy? If so, why?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 am What's the relevance of the 'no name brand new CPL'? Would your opinion change if it was a 10 000 hour guy? If so, why?
Because as a brand new pilot and not even-quite-an-employee they have nothing invested in the company and are owed nothing by it. The 10,000 hour guy who's worked there for 16 years? Sure. But even then, beyond than the statutory and contractual obligations to employees, the interests of the shareholders (up to the point of insolvency) and then those of the creditors come first.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:08 am
digits_ wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 am What's the relevance of the 'no name brand new CPL'? Would your opinion change if it was a 10 000 hour guy? If so, why?
Because as a brand new pilot and not even-quite-an-employee they have nothing invested in the company and are owed nothing by it. The 10,000 hour guy who's worked there for 16 years? Sure. But even then, beyond than the statutory and contractual obligations to employees, the interests of the shareholders (up to the point of insolvency) and then those of the creditors come first.
No no, i meant a 10k guy applying at a company and getting half assed offered this job vs a 200 hr cpl.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Rookie has a a disdain for young people with no life experience, in all walks of life, especially ones who moan and whine. It's not personal against pilots.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:57 am Rookie has a a disdain for young people with no life experience, in all walks of life, especially ones who moan and whine. It's not personal against pilots.
“With no life experience, an entitled attitude, and thinking the world owes them a living, usually funded by the bank of Mom and Dad”.

Fixed. I AM a massive cheerleader for young folks who want to learn, and show humility.

And I referenced the company would likely, and should, be more concerned about long standing employees in their fight for survival than a newbie who hasn’t invested a thing.

Let me rephrase, Digits.

Neither holding a CPL or an MBA from Harvard mean dog—-t to me as far as earned respect.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

To the OP...Many of us have been burned once or twice in this industry. Canada is a hard place to make it due to the business practices. I know it myself--Years ago, I came to work one morning with headset in hand just like 1000 mornings before, only to find a note on the door that the place was locked due to insolvency. We are always the last to find out. Fortunately, I had been busy upgrading my ratings and writing exams to work in other parts of the industry (such as PRM and licensing). Let it be a lesson to you to make alternate plans before the red flags start popping up. You can quickly find yourself out on your ass if you aren't doing your maximum to improve and expand your skillset while reaching for better opportunities. In short, be active and don't put your eggs all in the same basket. Good effort must be put forth.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:40 am Canada is a hard place to make it due to the business practices.
Do you think it's harder than most countries?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:40 am

To the OP...Many of us have been burned once or twice in this industry. Canada is a hard place to make it due to the business practices. I know it myself--Years ago, I came to work one morning with headset in hand just like 1000 mornings before, only to find a note on the door that the place was locked due to insolvency.
I’m sure they went bankrupt just to screw you over.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:16 am

To the OP...Many of us have been burned once or twice in this industry. Canada is a hard place to make it due to the business practices. I know it myself--Years ago, I came to work one morning with headset in hand just like 1000 mornings before, only to find a note on the door that the place was locked due to insolvency.
I think his point is that his company should have put out multiple public announcements on Twitter and by emails to all employees that it wasn't doing so well, at repeated intervals over the previous three months, to avoid giving him such a terrible shock. It's monstrously unfair to him how he was treated.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:04 am
ReserveTank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:40 am Canada is a hard place to make it due to the business practices.
It’s worse here now than it’s ever been (Canada). There used to be lots of flying, there’s isn’t anymore.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 am
It’s worse here now than it’s ever been (Canada). There used to be lots of flying, there’s isn’t anymore.
Lots of companies have been and gone, over the years. Is it worse now?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... _of_Canada

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:06 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 am
Lots of companies have been and gone, over the years. Is it worse now?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... _of_Canada
Absolutely it is!

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:58 am Used to work there a few years back. Was a decent operation in terms of safety and hour building although pay was low. I'm honestly surprised to see them go under as they had a bunch of government contracts at the time.
Yeah. Same. They just got that base in Debert all set up and things looked like they were going well.

Unfortunate as the Maintenance guys there were a solid group.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

photofly wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:19 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:16 am

I think his point is that his company should have put out multiple public announcements on Twitter and by emails to all employees that it wasn't doing so well, at repeated intervals over the previous three months, to avoid giving him such a terrible shock. It's monstrously unfair to him how he was treated.
As usual, you clowns missed the main point. When one is prepared, the shock of suddenly losing one's job is dampened. The point is that one should be always looking to augment their ability to provide services in their industry. It's easier to pick up and move on quickly while the rest are scratching their heads, waiting for someone to feed them.

Return to “General Comments”