Chief Pilot asked another airline to delay hiring me due to shortage?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oakmoss1889
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chief Pilot asked another airline to delay hiring me due to shortage?

Post by oakmoss1889 »

I've heard of this happenening to various people at various airlines in the past. Chief pilot talks to HR at prospective new company and asks them to delay or even not hire a pilot because they are short and can't afford to lose them, and the other airlne agrees to CPs request. I'm concerned this is happening to me now. Has this happened to anyone here? How do you deal with it?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Chief Pilot asked another airline to delay hiring me due to shortage?

Post by digits_ »

Tough situation. Seems like you should get out of your current job asap. What kind of delay are you talking about?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'd quit and sue for constructive dismissal. You'll find another quick.

I would discuss with an employment lawyer first. If you do can you post here? I have no idea the legalities if that and would be interested to know.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Why do you assume this is happening to you now?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Bede wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 am I'd quit and sue for constructive dismissal
That’s a bold move when nothing’s been proven.

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

That's a first I've heard of this type. There are all sorts of operations out there doing different things. Some companies will flat out not even reference.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

lownslow wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:07 am
Bede wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 am I'd quit and sue for constructive dismissal
I think the OP changed his post. Initially he said that it happened to him, but I could be wrong.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Bede wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:20 am
lownslow wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:07 am
I think the OP changed his post. Initially he said that it happened to him, but I could be wrong.
The title does say "hiring me" so that assumption is probably correct. Usually hiring is done confidentially if you ask it of those doing the hiring. If it ended up not being so, you might question if you want to be hired.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

This is common practice among Canadian Regionals. For years they have always tried to draw no more than 1-2 people from a certain 703/704 per class, very understandable.
My best advice to you, roll with the punches and continue to do a good job at your present employer. The call will come, especially if the regionals get short staffed, they will eventually disregard what that chief pilot asked in a second if they struggle to fill a class.
What you don’t want to do is quit as a previous poster suggested. If the airline your waiting on finds out you quit or changed companies while knowing you’re in the hiring process for them it would not reflect well on you. Especially if your interview/testing expires before a start date and you have to explain that to them in another interview.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 am I'd quit and sue for constructive dismissal. You'll find another quick.

I would discuss with an employment lawyer first. If you do can you post here? I have no idea the legalities if that and would be interested to know.
Then if you have no idea of the legalities involved, why would you give that kind of serious advice in your first sentence?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am If the airline your waiting on finds out you quit or changed companies while knowing you’re in the hiring process for them it would not reflect well on you. Especially if your interview/testing expires before a start date and you have to explain that to them in another interview.
Perhaps. But does it reflect well on the airline and the future ex-employer if they make backroom deals like that? You're not some piece of cattle or a multi million dollar hockey player to be sold at their whim.

An employer has the right to give or refuse to give a reference. But if he's actively trying to block your progress, that's a seriously shitty move. And if the hiring airline goes along with it, well, ... I'd look at other options to be honest. The airline should be talking to you, you should be talking to your employer if you want to make a deal. The airline and the employer should *NOT* be negotiating behind your back. Assuming that's what actually happened, the initial post is a bit vague on that.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am If the airline your waiting on finds out you quit or changed companies while knowing you’re in the hiring process for them it would not reflect well on you. Especially if your interview/testing expires before a start date and you have to explain that to them in another interview.
Perhaps. But does it reflect well on the airline and the future ex-employer if they make backroom deals like that? You're not some piece of cattle or a multi million dollar hockey player to be sold at their whim.

An employer has the right to give or refuse to give a reference. But if he's actively trying to block your progress, that's a seriously shitty move. And if the hiring airline goes along with it, well, ... I'd look at other options to be honest. The airline should be talking to you, you should be talking to your employer if you want to make a deal. The airline and the employer should *NOT* be negotiating behind your back. Assuming that's what actually happened, the initial post is a bit vague on that.
It’s not that they’re negotiating behind your back, or “back room deals”.

These deals have been made long before any specific Pilot is involved. It’s not personal and not behind someone’s back. It’s no more than the Chief Pilot saying I’ll work with you and take time out my day to give you references of my employees as long as you agree to not completely screw me in my ability to staff my airplanes.
These airlines could clear out an entire 703/704 carrier or their Pilot group in the span weeks. But they don’t, they want a good working relationship with the people they rely on for information about their potential new hires. Making a big deal out of the situation would only turn out poorly.

So to the original poster, don’t take it personally. It’s been happening for years and I know of several 704’s who had similar agreements in place over the years. Most of the people hired in the past 4-5 years by a regional have been subject to the same fate, they just didn’t know it.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:26 am
Bede wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 am I'd quit and sue for constructive dismissal. You'll find another quick.

Then if you have no idea of the legalities involved, why would you give that kind of serious advice in your first sentence?
You didn't read carefully. In the first paragraph, I said what I would do. The second paragraph I provide my advice to seek legal counsel.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 am
digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am

It’s not that they’re negotiating behind your back, or “back room deals”.

These deals have been made long before any specific Pilot is involved. It’s not personal and not behind someone’s back. It’s no more than the Chief Pilot saying I’ll work with you and take time out my day to give you references of my employees as long as you agree to not completely screw me in my ability to staff my airplanes.
These airlines could clear out an entire 703/704 carrier or their Pilot group in the span weeks. But they don’t, they want a good working relationship with the people they rely on for information about their potential new hires. Making a big deal out of the situation would only turn out poorly.

So to the original poster, don’t take it personally. It’s been happening for years and I know of several 704’s who had similar agreements in place over the years. Most of the people hired in the past 4-5 years by a regional have been subject to the same fate, they just didn’t know it.
Still disgusting. And what you describe would be a prime example of a back room deal.

Employers are free to offer whatever they want to employees, if you don't like it, don't take it. Might not be a great situation, but so be it. But if an employer then takes away the only 'weapon' an employee has to improve his situation? That's just completely messed up.

This is a way bigger issue than bonds, and deservers more publicity if it is as widespread as you claim. I hope companies like that never find another pilot again.

oakmoss1889
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oakmoss1889 »

fish4life wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:30 am Why do you assume this is happening to you now?
I've heard rumors of this happening at my company in the past. Apart from that my CP told me new company "reassured" him they would space out the hiring from my company. He didn't say he asked or requested anything, so I can only assume.

oakmoss1889
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oakmoss1889 »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:31 am Tough situation. Seems like you should get out of your current job asap. What kind of delay are you talking about?
Seems like a ground school or two delay. So a few months? Not the worst, but frustrating.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

oakmoss1889 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:31 am Tough situation. Seems like you should get out of your current job asap. What kind of delay are you talking about?
Seems like a ground school or two delay. So a few months? Not the worst, but frustrating.
Well, once you have your start date, take a 2 month vacation. You can even spin it you'll use the time to study for your new job!

And if you are absolutely sure they did something fishy, just quit on the spot. Bonus points if the plane is somewhere remotely :mrgreen:
It might go against the common wisdom of not blowing up bridges, but at some point you've got to say enough is enough.

Good luck though! Would love to find out how it all ends!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

I've heard rumours of this happening over the last five or so years. *If* it is true - it stinks.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

Great topic!

I am sure a lawyer would love to take money to argue whether these operators meet the definition of a cartel.

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

YC87DRVR wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 am This is common practice among Canadian Regionals. For years they have always tried to draw no more than 1-2 people from a certain 703/704 per class, very understandable.
It's the same concept as running a sustainable fishery. "Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs."

The regionals don't want to wipe out the breeding pool of future pilots, and it makes sense for them to maintain good relations with the smaller carriers that they source their pilots from.

My guess is that the CP at the original poster's current employer probably first asked the pilot if he would hang on for a little while to let the CP find and train a replacement for him or her, and the pilot said 'no'. So you can't blame the CP for doing his/her best to keep the operation running.

Return to “General Comments”