Cessna 172 Control Issue

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Cessna 172 Control Issue

Post by pelmet »

Perhaps nothing new but have been hearing about control issues lately. One school I know of had a flap cable snap at full flaps resulting in one of the flaps retrating fully and the other one stuck in the extended position. Fortunately, they were able to limp back to base(although bypassed an airport with a nice long runway in the process). A lot of aileron input was required.

The following case was quite interesting as well. It is strictly through Google Translate so not every word makes sense but I believe the aircraft was in a turn and descending during the incident.......

"C-GYBV, a Cessna 172N operated by Académie Aéronautique inc. was on a cross-country flight from
overnight under visual flight rules from Montreal/Mirabel, QC airport (CYMX) to
destination Trois-Rivières, QC (CYRQ), Drummondville, QC (CSC3) and then a return to
CYMX with 1 pilot on board. During the last flight in the direction of the right downwind for runway 06, at
approximately 5 nautical miles east at CYMX, the left control wheel jammed in a turn at
straight and downhill. The pilot managed to regain control of the aircraft by using the steering wheel.
control on the right side. The pilot declared a state of emergency, elected to proceed with a
straight-in approach to Runway 24 and changed seats to land from the seat
of right. The aircraft landed without further difficulty and there were no damages or injuries."

Original.......

C-GYBV, un Cessna 172N exploité par Académie Aéronautique inc. effectuait un vol voyage de
nuit selon les règles de vol à vue à partir de l'aéroport de Montréal/Mirabel, QC (CYMX) à
destination de Trois-Rivières, QC (CYRQ), Drummondville, QC (CSC3) et ensuite un retour à
CYMX avec 1 pilote à bord. Lors du dernier vol en direction du vent arrière droit pour la piste 06, à
environ 5 miles marins à l’est à CYMX, le volant de commande de gauche s’est bloqué en virage à
droite et en descente. Le pilote a réussi à reprendre la maîtrise de l’aéronef en utilisant le volant de
commande du côté droit. Le pilote a déclaré un état d’urgence, a choisi de procéder avec une
approche directe vers la piste 24 et a changé de siège pour effectuer l’atterrissage depuis le siège
de droite. L’appareil s’est posé sans autre difficulté et il n’y a eu aucun dommage ni blessé.
---------- ADS -----------

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Cessna 172 Control Issue

Post by WANP »

Who is doing the annuals, and not catching these things that are on the verge of failure?

Whitney
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Cessna 172 Control Issue

Post by pelmet »

Some failures can be in well hidden areas. I thought it was quite sharp of the pilot to try the right side control wheel. Not sure I would have thought to try that myself. Something to keep in mind for future reference.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”