So everyone is leaving?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: So everyone is leaving?

Post by JHR »

Canada is having the largest exodus of people since 1971. Even new immigrants are deciding it is not the place for them.
Lots of reasons but mainly the fact that the cost of living is so high.
---------- ADS -----------

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

JHR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:54 pm Canada is having the largest exodus of people since 1971. Even new immigrants are deciding it is not the place for them.
Lots of reasons but mainly the fact that the cost of living is so high.
Source?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Good job JT. Virtue signalling with no substance to back it up. What a legacy. How bad do you have to be at PM to drive immigrants away from a place like Canada.

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:50 pm Good job JT. Virtue signalling with no substance to back it up. What a legacy. How bad do you have to be at PM to drive immigrants away from a place like Canada.
The cost of living is insane in Canada, the only thing propping up the GDP is real estate. Manufacturing, energy, commodities are all wrapped under 7 years of liberal red tape. This guy is worse than his father and twice as crazy as his mother

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

My wife just got her citizenship this year and the only thing that made her continue through with it was the fact it made getting a TN visa for nursing in the states easier. Otherwise she would have just taken one of the recruiter routes available to nurses

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:33 pm My wife just got her citizenship this year and the only thing that made her continue through with it was the fact it made getting a TN visa for nursing in the states easier. Otherwise she would have just taken one of the recruiter routes available to nurses
The tax and housing cost alone makes most sense. If I didn’t have family here I’d be already gone

WANP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WANP »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:50 pm Good job JT. Virtue signalling with no substance to back it up. What a legacy. How bad do you have to be at PM to drive immigrants away from a place like Canada.
The cost of living is insane in Canada, the only thing propping up the GDP is real estate. Manufacturing, energy, commodities are all wrapped under 7 years of liberal red tape. This guy is worse than his father and twice as crazy as his mother

That's on a good day!

Whitney
firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by firstofficer »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:39 pm
Squaretail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:57 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Because they don't know the realities of the job.
Or maybe they do, and still want to do it. Most pilots I know, who bitch about the aviation industry also have no experience doing other jobs. Or very limited experience. Lots of neophyte pilot resumes I see are guys and gals doing jobs I don’t envy, even though I’m sure many have better wages, schedules, or other pluses. The grass ain’t greener on the other side of the fence, or maybe it is. All that matters is what your personal path to happiness entails. A career in aviation isn’t for everyone, but it is for some. Even one might consider an aviation career elsewhere, it really depends on your point of view. I spend enough time flying around stateside to know it’s not all great down there, and I know enough expats to know that their lifestyle isn’t for me.

The point is just because one might be unhappy with your lot in life, don’t assume everyone else who’s lot you think is similar feels the same way.

The common denominator in ALL of this is low pay. Anyone who argues otherwise I’ll gladly discuss with logically and factually. Canadians are by far the lowest paid aviators in the civilized world.
Unfortunately not only in the civilized world 😵‍💫 I have a few colleagues who fly for African carriers. Not only is their pay significantly greater but it’s in USD.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

firstofficer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:22 am
Unfortunately not only in the civilized world 😵‍💫 I have a few colleagues who fly for African carriers. Not only is their pay significantly greater but it’s in USD.
If it’s so good, why does nobody stay? Everyone I know only “flew” in Africa.

I bet your “friends” are flying there for $$$ and then getting out. Which means that conditions are not comparable and that that cash comes with probably considerable personal sacrifices.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:44 pm

I bet your “friends” are flying there for $$$ and then getting out. Which means that conditions are not comparable and that that cash comes with probably considerable personal sacrifices.
Translation:

Everyone seems wants major bucks NOW without any sacrifice.

That’s not how it works. In any career i know of.

Anything with better bucks now doesn’t have the top end you guys can get.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

It’s rough, but the pay, schedule, benefits, stipends and freedom on days off more than make up for it vs flying domestically in Canada…. Which is largely hand to mouth employment, and below livable for the first half of your career here.
This Canadian industry has essentially produced a parasitic employee/employer relationship with borderline unliveable wages, which is definitely being heavily protected between companies due to the oversupply of pilots and ames available (Canadian tribal knowledge).
I choose international over domestic every time personally. I defy anyone to argue otherwise.

golecchr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by golecchr »

ICUP wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:50 pm Looks like lately everyone I know that flies wants to leave this country. It’s depressing.
Left Canada in September as a 300 hour pilot with CPL and Group 1. I'm halfway through my ATPL exams in Warsaw with 7 more to go. Many F/O positions are up for grabs after the conversion process is complete. For people with dual citizenship or work visas, this is a great option at the moment.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

golecchr wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:24 am
ICUP wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:50 pm Looks like lately everyone I know that flies wants to leave this country. It’s depressing.
Left Canada in September as a 300 hour pilot with CPL and Group 1. I'm halfway through my ATPL exams in Warsaw with 7 more to go. Many F/O positions are up for grabs after the conversion process is complete. For people with dual citizenship or work visas, this is a great option at the moment.

How is pay compared to Canada?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:51 pm

Translation:

Everyone seems wants major bucks NOW without any sacrifice.

That’s not how it works. In any career i know of.

Anything with better bucks now doesn’t have the top end you guys can get.
Dude it’s all relative to the amount of sacrifice to amount of return ratio, and unfortunately, the imbalance has and always will be in favour of the owners. I’ve never seen things so crap in Canada for aviation careers

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Do you also speak Polish?

As someone who came from the UK to Canada IMO living here in Canada is much much better than Europe. Quality of life is not just about the amount of money you get paid, if it was living in Dubai would probably be the greatest life style on Earth - but it's not because it's a super hot desert.

I went for a hike in a national park a few weeks ago and it was very nice, so much nature and not having to share it with a million people. Try doing that in the UK.

I know it's normal to sh*t on the country you're from sometimes, but seriously as an immigrant I can tell you you Canadians should be proud of this country.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

golecchr wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:24 am
Jesus! How many exams are there?! :lol:

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Launchpad1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:19 am
Do you also speak Polish?

As someone who came from the UK to Canada IMO living here in Canada is much much better than Europe. Quality of life is not just about the amount of money you get paid, if it was living in Dubai would probably be the greatest life style on Earth - but it's not because it's a super hot desert.

I went for a hike in a national park a few weeks ago and it was very nice, so much nature and not having to share it with a million people. Try doing that in the UK.

I know it's normal to sh*t on the country you're from sometimes, but seriously as an immigrant I can tell you you Canadians should be proud of this country.
Ya but it’s changing fast. Can’t even go to Tobermory in the summer anymore it’s overrun (as in way too jammed) by mostly “international travellers”, can’t blame them it’s a beautiful park, far cry from how it was in the 80s and 90s. There’s too many people in the world and that problem you speak of in Europe is coming here rapidly with .5 million / year immigration. But flip side the cost of living is so high here 1/3 of them say they’ll be leaving in 5 years. Guess we will see, my time machine is in the shop…

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:09 am There’s too many people in the world and that problem you speak of in Europe is coming here rapidly with .5 million / year immigration.
Seriously?

If there is one problem that Canada doesn't have, it's a lack of space to accommodate more people.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”