So everyone is leaving?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

So everyone is leaving?

Post by ICUP »

Looks like lately everyone I know that flies wants to leave this country. It’s depressing.
---------- ADS -----------

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: So everyone is leaving?

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

Why are they leaving and where are they going?

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Do they just want to leave, or are they actually leaving?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

Like everyone in aviation. It's mostly all talk no action. Lots of people talk about leaving but none really have the means to leave unless you have a duel citizenship or married into another nationality.

People keep bickering about how awful aviation is. Was the same 20 years ago and will be the same 20 from now.

Even those of us with options internationally havnt jumped the gun and moved down to the usa/australia/Europe.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I know of people who went back home to eastern Europe.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

My wife would move south tomorrow but her field of work pays less there. I’ve thought about it but it’s still a big hassle. She thinks I can just send out resumes and the company will sponsor me and accept my Canadian licence. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

If everyone is leaving, why are there still so many here?

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

why leave? Hiring is going up.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

"everyone" is like ten people. Nice.
qwe221sd wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 pm why leave? Hiring is going up.
Grass is green on the other side!

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 pm Do they just want to leave, or are they actually leaving?
Well I thought it was all talk, but so far five fellas have left the line and heading somewhere else, mostly Europe. One of them won't see his EASA license for at least 2 years and he is willing to take the risk.
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:07 pm Why are they leaving and where are they going?
I guess people are done getting paid poorly compared with other places. Mostly Europe and south the border. I don't blame them, really

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ICUP wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 pm Do they just want to leave, or are they actually leaving?
Well I thought it was all talk, but so far five fellas have left the line and heading somewhere else, mostly Europe. One of them won't see his EASA license for at least 2 years and he is willing to take the risk.
WellThatAgedWell wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:07 pm Why are they leaving and where are they going?
I guess people are done getting paid poorly compared with other places. Mostly Europe and south the border. I don't blame them, really
I agree, I left Canada’s dog crap industry behind for the states over ten years ago. The grass most definitely is greener, I only keep my Canadian license active with a few customers here and there under my own company. This Canadian industry is a f’n joke, the wages aren’t keeping up with even regular interest adjustments let alone this last big one. What I see whenever I come back here to help out makes my stomach turn, guys so broke they’re living in trailers ffs. Operators here should be ashamed of the conditions they have created.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I left 6 years ago to the US. I’ll never go back to Canada.

I’ve had a couple of friends do the same in the past year. If the US starts offering visas to pilots we’ll see a pretty big exodus in Canada.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I am aware of at least 3-4 guys who have left my company to go to the US. None had ties to 'merika before this. It has me thinking about it. I earn a good living by working my ass off. There is more pay for less work out there and it's just across the border. I'm keeping in touch with the last guy who left and strongly considering my next move.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Arnie Pye wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:49 am I am aware of at least 3-4 guys who have left my company to go to the US. None had ties to 'merika before this. It has me thinking about it. I earn a good living by working my ass off. There is more pay for less work out there and it's just across the border. I'm keeping in touch with the last guy who left and strongly considering my next move.
I’m an AME as well and I make more in the USA in a week than a veteran helicopter AME in Canada would make in a month (and that’s for a lower paying customer). Not to mention flying, home every night support is there without question…. Then come back to Canada where you’re thrown back into a tall poppy environment where archaic aerosexual white headed sharp management pits everyone against eachother in a sick ploy to keep work effort up and wages in the gutter as has been the case in Canada since the first aircraft took flight for cash. Not to mention with old aircraft and 1/100th the work, I wish I made the jump at the beginning of my career tbh. As for fixed wing it’s pretty obvious ULCC’s are going to be the standard in Canadas future not to mention more and more N reg’d aircraft picking up routes in Canada.

I will say this, to anyone reading this and looking for work in Canada, any operator that’s ALWAYS advertising for employment especially ones with multiple positions, 🚩 🚩 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩… that should be an indication of working conditions…. Its gut wrenching seeing what Canada’s industry has become and continues into an abysmal trench of garbage…

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Arnie Pye wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:49 am I am aware of at least 3-4 guys who have left my company to go to the US. None had ties to 'merika before this. It has me thinking about it. I earn a good living by working my ass off. There is more pay for less work out there and it's just across the border. I'm keeping in touch with the last guy who left and strongly considering my next move.
As someone that’s been down here for a while, if you do make the switch be sure it’s at par with the wages that US residents are working for. As a non immigrant worker the optics are a little different in the USA than in Canada. There is a respect for Canadian pilots and ames down here as the training is way better in Canada as well as our standards.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Stinky wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:58 am I left 6 years ago to the US. I’ll never go back to Canada.

I’ve had a couple of friends do the same in the past year. If the US starts offering visas to pilots we’ll see a pretty big exodus in Canada.
It’s already begun… it’s not advertised (yet) but I personally am seeing more Canadians come down here for work

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

702pipeliner wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm Like everyone in aviation. It's mostly all talk no action. Lots of people talk about leaving but none really have the means to leave unless you have a duel citizenship or married into another nationality.

People keep bickering about how awful aviation is. Was the same 20 years ago and will be the same 20 from now.

Even those of us with options internationally havnt jumped the gun and moved down to the usa/australia/Europe.

As someone that personally did make the switch you’re full of hot air. More and more Canadians are coming down here for work not under the caveats you’ve described. You can keep your crappy Canadian aviation

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

JasonE wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:16 pm I know of people who went back home to eastern Europe.
Eastern Europe over Canada for work?

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Bug Stomper did the company you work for take care of your work visa when you initially went to the states? How long is a process was that?

I work with around 100 pilots and there has been some increased interest in going south, but shy of having a US company take you on or getting a green card or entering the lottery for one is almost impossible.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 am Bug Stomper did the company you work for take care of your work visa when you initially went to the states? How long is a process was that?

I work with around 100 pilots and there has been some increased interest in going south, but shy of having a US company take you on or getting a green card or entering the lottery for one is almost impossible.
100 pilots wow! Must be an airline. It depends on what visa you apply for, there are different ways of doing it and it all depends on the individual. It was a few months the last I did mine, five maybe? it’s good for five years (there are extensions available as well depending). I’m not an expert on the matter, as it was taken care of for me last time by the company. My advice is to start as a non immigrant worker and progress from there. I can’t move from Canada just yet but I’m starting to think I may have to the way things are, and the amount my customers are asking me to. US companies will take you on depending on the position, requirements by the customer and demand for the pilot and or technician which there is no shortage of. There are also intra company transfer visas that current employees in Canada can apply for to a (USA) subsidiary company. The best thing anyone entertaining this idea to do is talk to an immigration lawyer for an hour and get all their specifics lined up to see if it’s what they want. It’s really not as hard as everyone says.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”